LOR question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jrock89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am about to send off my LOR's right now and I was debating something. Would it be okay to send out 1 good LOR from a PT and 1 okay one from a PT or 1 good LOR from a PT and a great LOR from my coach. Just seeing if the profession would weigh more than a great letter from a coach.

Members don't see this ad.

So I am about to send off my LOR's right now and I was debating something. Would it be okay to send out 1 good LOR from a PT and 1 okay one from a PT or 1 good LOR from a PT and a great LOR from my coach. Just seeing if the profession would weigh more than a great letter from a coach.

How do you know what they say? I guess go with the PT and the coach.

I am really close with the coach. I have known him since I was five. I have only been a tech at this clinic for a month and she said she could write me a decent one.

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone got a clue if a LOR from a coach is bad?

I think the Coach's rec may hold more weight because he know YOU and can get specific with what he's seen you overcome. From speaking to an admissions member about recommendation letters you want a letter from someone who can really elaborate on your strengths and give great detail about that strength. For example "Joe is a great student. He came to class everyday and was on time....like every other student (essentially)" VERSUS "Joe was a great player and team leader. His leadership skills were evident during (blah, blah, blah) and this would help him in PT school because (blah, blah, blah)"
....just my opinion, hope it helps!

You have to look at the specific schools requirements for LORs. Some only require PTs, some require PTs and additional ones from your undergrad professors in your major, and some just let you use whoever you want.

I think a LOR that is more personal is always better than a generic template one that most PTs and professors use and just change the names.

With that said, I would never let an "ok" LOR get sent out. I very politely asked each person writing mine to allow me to read it and they all had no problem with it. If the person didn't care enough to at least pretend they liked me more than they really did, then I would just get someone else to do it.

This is your future and I don't think it's rude to require a certain standard from the people writing them, especially since we all had to clean therapy equipment and fold towels for free at the clinic for X number of hours.