LOR Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
can i add a letter of rec after i've e-submitted my app to another school through pharmcas?

yep!

Members don't see this ad.

The OP would have to use a program provided by his university to store the lors. He obviously couldn't use Elors and I doubt he knows what elors are this early in the game. You raise a good point thought because I can't imagine having to mail out paper letters as PharmCas states it can take weeks upon weeks for these things to be verified.

I already did my homework weeks ago about the elor (electronic LORs), so I know that you have to log on PharmCAS and then put your professor's email in the list for LOR so the pharmcas will email to the professor and then the professor sends it back with their LOR, right? it just I was only trying to get as many LORs as possible early in the game....

If you're asking now, I would assume you were using an LOR storage program through your university/college. Pharmacy is a little different than any other program in the way it handles LORs in that they are centralized (meaning they are sent through something like PharmCAS, which distributes the copies to all your pharmacy schools). As a result, I could only imagine you fostering your relationship with your professor (taking more classes or indulging in more activities with the professor like previous posts mentioned) in order for them to be useful to your application.

What kind of letter can be written about your performance in class you haven't finished? LORs I have received in the past took at least 3 months to process after I first asked.

Edit: Although I did ask my professor at my final, most of my requests were when my final grades were already compiled. At the university level, your professors work all-year. They don't really have breaks, they just stop teaching for a while.

I already know all about PharmCAS process. I obviously want to get as many LORs as possible even if it is early in the game (and going to use the LOR storage system in my University).

Anyways, even though I didn't finish my class yet, cheburashka made a good point that a LOR should be decided if you have a good feeling and trust the teacher enough to give you a good LOR.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you sure. I thought once you submitted the application you were only able to update through Academic update. Though admittedly I haven't read pharmcas instructions since last year. Most people never do.;)

Ohhh no! I'm sorry. I misread the question. I thought they were asking if the recommendor can submit after the application has been esubmitted. I don't think they can add recommendors after we have e-submitted the application.
I apoligize for the misunderstanding :)

I'm getting my letter of recommendations next week and I was wondering do you have to submit them online or can you just mail it to the school? Please help,so I can get my things done. Thanks =).

You should have listed your references online at PharmCAS and from there it would be your references' responsibility to submit it, either online or by paper. Most school want the LOR to be sent to PharmCAS and NOT to them, however I believe some minority of schools have different rules regarding it. Check it with each school to make sure.

I'm getting my letter of recommendations next week and I was wondering do you have to submit them online or can you just mail it to the school? Please help,so I can get my things done. Thanks =).

I am only wondering, are you a first year undergrad student looking to get LORs this semester?

If so, you should have searched or turned to the second page of the forum.

I am also looking for LORs so look at my thread about LORs:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=576004

I have e-submitted my application on PharmCAS, but I am still waiting for an LOR. Two of my schools have deadlines tomorrow, and I am getting concerned that it will not be complete if this reference does not get submitted. I reminded the writer last Wednesday in person, but would it be okay to give another reminder today? I can contact him via e-mail or phone. I know e-mail would probably be more appropriate, but since it is so last minute would it be okay to call?

Thanks for your help.

I had the same thing happen to my this week. I emailed and called and called and called at home and in the office and they finally completed it yesterday. This is your future and it is very important that it gets done on or before the deadline. One thing I learned is that persistence is the key. Good luck!

Hey guys, I haven't e-submitted yet, but just to be sure..can you check on the status of your LOR's after you've esubmitted?

You should definitely send over an email (like right now) to just remind them that the LOR is due tomorrow. It's your responsibility to make sure you give them several reminders throughout the semester. I made sure to remind them at the beginning of November, then the 2 week mark, then a week before it was due. I sent a reminder email on Friday and I just confirmed earlier today that they all completed mine. So like dougwell said, persistence!

Last edited:
For one of the science classes I got an A in, I've only visted the professor around 6 times the whole semester most of the times just asking about a couple of questions I couldn't get but it was pretty brief. I've also talked to her at the beginning of the term about how I'm doing pre-farm and ****. Is it worth a shot?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
yeah i think that qualifies for something. doesn't hurt to ask. go for it. just know how to explain the situation.

I would go ahead and give it a shot. :) Just a personal opinion based on my experience: if you ask a professor at a CC, he or she tends to be willing to help you out. It is tougher if you ask one from a 4-yr university, since he or she can put you on the "waitlist" before possibly considering to write you a letter just because you interacted with the professor a few times and not enough. (I thought this was ridiculous though.)

I would go ahead and give it a shot. :) Just a personal opinion based on my experience: if you ask a professor at a CC, he or she tends to be willing to help you out. It is tougher if you ask one from a 4-yr university, since he or she can put you on the "waitlist" before possibly considering to write you a letter just because you interacted with the professor a few times and not enough. (I thought this was ridiculous though.)

Do you think it would be a bit late if I ask at the start of the upcoming semester? I wanted to get my final grade before I asked so I waited till the end of this one.

Do you think it would be a bit late if I ask at the start of the upcoming semester? I wanted to get my final grade before I asked so I waited till the end of this one.

I don't think it's late at all. I waited 4 years later before I asked two of my professors. :laugh: But like Artful Dodger said earlier, it doesn't hurt to ask. The worst you get is a "no" from your professor.

it's good to ask a professor after at least 1 semester being a student in his/her class. I tried to ask a professor during my first semester in her class and she said she wouldn't do it because she didn't know me well enough to write a good letter of reccomendation. If the professor doesn't know you well enough or think highly of you, there is no point in writing a letter of reccomendation unless you are really desperate for one. I rather have a good LOR than a less flattering LOR which basically means the Professor doesn't endorse you.

I personally had a biology professor for an entire year before I asked for a LoR. Another professor I had for only one quarter. It just depends on how comfortable you are with them.

I want to change to question to " How important this professor's letter is to my application?" It will be ok if you only know this professor shortly. You can make up that weakness by being nice to him, and thank him for his letter. He or she will more likely to write a good one based on your resume.

I'm a non-traditional student so when I started taking prereq's last spring, I didn't know anyone in the class. When the semester was over, I approached the professor and asked for a LOR. He asked me to see him after class which I did. We talked about what I was trying to do and what I had planned for the future and he advised me what documents he would need to write the letter. End of story. Professors' aren't as unapproachable as people may think. I say give it a shot you could be surprised that he/she was just waiting on you to ASK!

it's good to ask a professor after at least 1 semester being a student in his/her class. I tried to ask a professor during my first semester in her class and she said she wouldn't do it because she didn't know me well enough to write a good letter of reccomendation. If the professor doesn't know you well enough or think highly of you, there is no point in writing a letter of reccomendation unless you are really desperate for one. I rather have a good LOR than a less flattering LOR which basically means the Professor doesn't endorse you.

Well, I'd offer my resume and personal statement to help them get to know me. I think professors who make that statement are not willing to write a LOR for anyone, unless you work for them etc. What's the most a professor could write about you? The main thing they'd know about you is your work ethic...and most of the time, that can be seen with the grade you got in that professor's class. It's all baloney to me, but if a professor is comfortable using that excuse, be my guest. Don't be hurt by it at all. Some just straight up don't want to help you because it's extra work or other personal reasons/experiences. However, just explain the situation - that you're trying to get into pharmacy school & you really need an LOR from a professor to prove that you're a good student...or whatever the case may be.

Just ask her man. She is a very nice lady. You got nothing to lose.

I spoke with my professor only once during office hours and he wrote me a letter of recommendation. Don't get me wrong though, it was extremely awkward asking.

It can be very awkward but hey, who really hangs out with their professors? Nobody unless you are a TA. My advice would be to do as I did and make sure you tell them that you are not looking for a handout nor are you trying to get them to glorify you. Sit with them, tell them about yourself. Resumes are good as well.

When I asked them for recommendations, they said yes right away. They all filled out the forms for me just a couple days after I requested, which were very nice. If I were you, I would go ahead and ask. It's always worth asking.

Last edited:
Since I asked a couple of my professors that I had four years ago at a CC before I transferred to a 4-year university, I decided to send them an email explaining my situation and then set up a meeting time in their offices for a chat. I also gave them my resume, personal statement, and all the forms they needed to fill out. They were willing to help me out and I also had a chance to read one of the letters. For one of them (my chem professor), he remembered detailed moments about me in class 4 years back, so I was kind of surprised and impressed.

I have to admit I was really scared asking all of my professors for a letter of rec and that I needed all the courage to ask them.

For one of the science classes I got an A in, I've only visted the professor around 6 times the whole semester most of the times just asking about a couple of questions I couldn't get but it was pretty brief. I've also talked to her at the beginning of the term about how I'm doing pre-farm and ****. Is it worth a shot?

Getting an A in the class is great. I won't ask a professor for a LOR unless I made an A. ;) Secondly, I would get a copy of my college transcript, a copy of my PCAT scores, and print out a copy of my PS for pharm school. Ask to make an appointment with the professor one day. Then go into his office and give him the information and tell him briefly what you are all about and why you are wanting to go into pharmacy and why you want him to write your LOR. I have never had anyone professor or not turn me down for a LOR.
Good luck! :)

Depends. I would say that if they know your name and can remember three facts about you unprompted, that's a sign you can ask them. Getting a good grade in their class is also a good idea.

Giving the professor your personal statement and resume along with the forms is also a great idea. Sitting down to review them, as well as your future goals and objectives, with the professor is also a good idea.

It did take me until the end of pharmacy school to figure all that out, though... but the two professors I asked in undergrad knew me very well because I already have spent countless hours outside of class speaking with them about everything from their subjects to travels to direction of science. Great people they were, too. Pity I am never where I went to undergrad, I would love to stop by and catch up with them... :oops:

hey!

I was actually talking about this with one of my chem professors a few weeks back.

she was saying that it is pretty rare to say no, especially if they were getting an a or b in the class. she said that she was a grad student once too, and hated asking, so she understood. which i'm sure most teachers do too =)

but i would try to make sure to go out of your way to chat with them more than you would usually, and say goodbye specifically to her/him when you're leaving the classroom to set a better impression. i always go out of my way to be extra polite and personable with professors, you never know when you'll need a LOR! =)

hope this helps!~:cool:

I had one of my profs ask me for a LOR of sorts. There was a new dean of the department and he wanted me to send the guy an email talking about my experience in his class. I ended up writing some very nice things about him. I figured I had better do a good job because I'm hitting him up for a LOR this semester.

I've read around the forum but I couldn't find a clear answer to this. Is the LOR for PharmCAS just a form that the professor fills out? Or do they have to write an additional formal letter?

Sorry--this has probably been addressed already but I couldn't find it.

It provides instructions on how to submit it. From what I understand and having glanced over the paper form, it include one of those survey-type things, suggested questions to answer within the recommendation, and such.

So... basically the person recommending you has to actually write a letter.

Like eukaryote posted, there is a link to the exact questions the references are asked to answer on a "Superior, Excellent, Good , Average, Below Average, Not Observed" rating scale. I heard from one of my references that there is a text box at the end (kind of like the response boxes on these forums) where they can actually write some stuff.

Like eukaryote posted, there is a link to the exact questions the references are asked to answer on a "Superior, Excellent, Good , Average, Below Average, Not Observed" rating scale. I heard from one of my references that there is a text box at the end (kind of like the response boxes on these forums) where they can actually write some stuff.

That is correct. It's a rating-based system, like you said, and then after that section, there's an optional section where the referrer can write a formal letter if he so chooses.

It strikes me as odd that professional schools rely on a form for recommendations even with the text box for comments. Not complaining though.

Thanks everyone! You've been most helpful. Cheers!

Who should I ask for LOR, biology, chemistry or economics professor? Is it a matter? I've just transfered to a new school, I haven't got to know any professors much. Can I ask my professors at my old school to write me a LOR? Thanks.

Who should I ask for LOR, biology, chemistry or economics professor? Is it a matter? I've just transfered to a new school, I haven't got to know any professors much. Can I ask my professors at my old school to write me a LOR? Thanks.

You should ask one science professor for sure.

You should ask whoever knows you best, so the professors at the old school, I'd chose. However, you should take this time to get acquainted and familiar with the professors at your new school.

Ask for a letter from a natural sciences professor. Many schools require that it be a science professor, I think. Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Microbiology, etc are good choices.

You can ask for a letter from professors from a previous school. You just want to make sure to ask a professor who knows you well and thinks highly of you.

It's probably about that time where i have to start asking professors/pharmacists/friends for letters of recommendation. What exactly do i need for them to fill this out completely and correctly? I know pharmcas does not open they new applications until the beginning of june, so i don't know what to do. Do they just give me a letter, do they have to fill out a certain form and mail it in themselves?

Any information will help.

It's probably about that time where i have to start asking professors/pharmacists/friends for letters of recommendation. What exactly do i need for them to fill this out completely and correctly? I know pharmcas does not open they new applications until the beginning of june, so i don't know what to do. Do they just give me a letter, do they have to fill out a certain form and mail it in themselves?

Any information will help.

Pharmcas has an online system for recommendations. You need get the email of the person u want to write the recommendation. You would put the email into the pharmcas section under recommendations. Pharmcas would then send a link to the recommender by email so they can fill it out and submit online. This works better and faster.

Pharmcas has an online system for recommendations. You need get the email of the person u want to write the recommendation. You would put the email into the pharmcas section under recommendations. Pharmcas would then send a link to the recommender by email so they can fill it out and submit online. This works better and faster.

Thanks a lot.
So i just have to wait until the beginning of june for everything?

Do you know how many LORs they take?
I have 4 options: 2 pharmacists, 1 professor, and 1 family friend who was the owner/ceo/president of a pharmaceutical company.

Do you know how many LORs they take?
I have 4 options: 2 pharmacists, 1 professor, and 1 family friend who was the owner/ceo/president of a pharmaceutical company.
they take a maximum of 4 LORs. I recommend that you should submit 2 from pharmacists who knows you well, and the other 2 from professors.

How many LORs you submit and from who depends on what each school wants. Make sure you research that before you start submitting LORs.