LOR reminders

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Venus21pam

Freakin' peachy
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone please give an advice on sending a reminder to my letter writer?

It's been two weeks since they agreed on writing it so I thought it's time to give them a little encouragement.

Any examples???

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Venus21pam said:
Can someone please give an advice on sending a reminder to my letter writer?

It's been two weeks since they agreed on writing it so I thought it's time to give them a little encouragement.

Any examples???

Thanks.

Just relax. 2 weeks is nothing.

I got letters anywhere from 24 hours to 4 months after I asked for them. The 4 month later ones (my 2 research letters) were both good friends and I was able to just drop a quick email reminding them. I say that when Sept. rolls around and they still aren't up on ERAS, first check w/ you dean's office (or whoever uploads them at your school) to make sure it's not sitting in a pile waiting to be scanned, then a quick phone call, office visit or email as appropriate to gently remind them.

BE (now PE)

Here are some ideas...

1) send a letter or email updating your current situation, "I am on a new rotation..." or "I am planning on doing a rotation..." and nicely remind them by repeating that you appreciate them taking the time to write your letter.

2) call the office and speak with the secretary/coordinator and gently remind to remind the doctor via a note.

After 4 weeks and if you dont hear anything.. ask the secretary/coordinator if they got in contact with the doctor, if they say yes..just wait longer. If they say no then call or meet with the doctor directly and just ask, "Hi, I am aware that you are busy but I was wondering if you had the opportunity to write the letter?"

One letter writer took alomst 3 months to write the letter for me. I just wrote a letter or email every 4 weeks or so.

If you have not does so, you can also give them a packet that contains a prestamped envelope and the cover letter and CV with a note attached that states you appreciate the letter... This makes it easy for them and more likely to write it quicker.

Thanks for the advice guys.
I'm just sweating because I only have one letter uploaded to ERAS so far. And I wanted to have three before September.
But if you say it might take months...

I actually gave my letter writes prestamped envelopes and a copies of my CV when I asked them to write LOR so they are all set.
I put a sticker with tracking numbers on the envelopes so I can always check via USPS website if they mailed it. And they didn't so far... :(

Yeah, the secretary thing works well. Other things that work well are sending the thank you card really early. And in a pinch, e-mailing them personally and telling them that you have a deadline coming up in the most cordial way you can is okay too.