LOR Replacement/old letter deletion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drdreyman

Reaction score
Hi all,

So my non-science Letter writer ghosted me hard. Email after email...calls to the department...nada. This is after having a great relationship with them and them being very interested in helping me, and even reviewing my PS.

Regardless, I contacted another non-science prof who's willing to write me a strong letter! My problem is that I already have all 10 Letter slots filled out. I have only been able to mark the non-delivered letter as "not being sent," but is there a way to remove the letter slot entirely so I can add the new one? Should I contact AMCAS? If not am i screwed?!?? :(

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

So my non-science Letter writer ghosted me hard. Email after email...calls to the department...nada. This is after having a great relationship with them and them being very interested in helping me, and even reviewing my PS.

Regardless, I contacted another non-science prof who's willing to write me a strong letter! My problem is that I already have all 10 Letter slots filled out. I have only been able to mark the non-delivered letter as "not being sent," but is there a way to remove the letter slot entirely so I can add the new one? Should I contact AMCAS? If not am i screwed?!?? :(

Thanks!
Even though you've marked that LOR as "Not being sent," if it belatedly shows up, it will still be sent out to any school you initially designated (even though those schools are no longer expecting it). So you cannot remove it from the slot.

Contact AMCAS and let us know what they say.

Reactions: 1 user
Even though you've marked that LOR as "Not being sent," if it belatedly shows up, it will still be sent out to any school you initially designated (even though those schools are no longer expecting it). So you cannot remove it from the slot.

Contact AMCAS and let us know what they say.
So I called earlier today, and they said that they cannot delete the old letter entry I had. However, they suggested that I send that same letter request form over to the new professor. Now my concern is that schools will notice the discrepancy between the original letter writer's name with the content of the letter, which of course is written by the new letter writer. I'm going to call a few schools tomorrow, (focusing on ones that need non-science letters) and see what they think I should do.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So I called earlier today, and they said that they cannot delete the old letter entry I had. However, they suggested that I send that same letter request form over to the new professor. Now my concern is that schools will notice the discrepancy between the original letter writer's name with the content of the letter, which of course is written by the new letter writer. I'm going to call a few schools tomorrow, (focusing on ones that need non-science letters) and see what they think I should do.
At least you have the "AMCAS Blessing" to try that way.

Reactions: 2 users
At least you have the "AMCAS Blessing" to try that way.
I like that the Amcas official solution is “Have someone else write it for you.”

Curiosity question to OP: What are the other 9 letters that you don’t have another slot?

I like that the Amcas official solution is “Have someone else write it for you.”

Curiosity question to OP: What are the other 9 letters that you don’t have another slot?
I'm applying mixed MD and MD/PhD. I have 5 letter writers total, and asked each one to write 2 letters, one addressed to MD programs and one addressed to MD/PhD programs. An uber neurotic precautionary measure, that in hindsight, was pretty dumb. hahahaha

Reactions: 1 users
I'm applying mixed MD and MD/PhD. I have 5 letter writers total, and asked each one to write 2 letters, one addressed to MD programs and one addressed to MD/PhD programs. An uber neurotic precautionary measure, that in hindsight, was pretty dumb. hahahaha
Bruh, and I thought I was neurotic spending 8 months on my PS...

• Wow
  • Haha
So I called a couple of my schools asking whether the discrepancy between the old letter writer's name being on the letter form submitted to AMCAS but the actual content of the letter being from the new writer would be a problem, and they both said no, but might send an email to clarify if it does come up. Is it worth contacting all 28 of my schools to confirm this? or is this a trivial problem

So I called a couple of my schools asking whether the discrepancy between the old letter writer's name being on the letter form submitted to AMCAS but the actual content of the letter being from the new writer would be a problem, and they both said no, but might send an email to clarify if it does come up. Is it worth contacting all 28 of my schools to confirm this? or is this a trivial problem
I would say it is trivial at that point. So long as the letter is good and fills the same category, nobody is likely to care too much I would assume.