LOR writer is not responding - advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tranquility_DO

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone! hope y'all are well.

currently, one of the attending that i rotated with agreed to write me a LoR (which im grateful for), but it's been hard to get in contacts with her.
About 4 months ago, she told me that she will upload the letter by April. Fast forward to end of April, I've contacted her via text message about once every 2.5-3 weeks since then. Each time, it has been zero reply. i know shes super busy with her job but im not sure what to do.

is this a sign to move on? i'm in the process of finding other letters but i feel like this would be one of my stronger letters since we connected well and she wrote me a really good eval talking about my performance on the rotation.

does any one have any advice? Thanks in advance!

edit: rising 4th year, applying to FM.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Everyone! hope y'all are well.

currently, one of the attending that i rotated with agreed to write me a LoR (which im grateful for), but it's been hard to get in contacts with her.
About 4 months ago, she told me that she will upload the letter by April. Fast forward to end of April, I've contacted her via text message about once every 2.5-3 weeks since then. Each time, it has been zero reply. i know shes super busy with her job but im not sure what to do.

is this a sign to move on? i'm in the process of finding other letters but i feel like this would be one of my stronger letters since we connected well and she wrote me a really good eval talking about my performance on the rotation.

does any one have any advice? Thanks in advance!

edit: rising 4th year, applying to FM.
Make it incredibly easy for her. Send an email with Step by step info, any details she'd need, links in the email etc. If it doesn't happen, just move on. She may just be too busy right now or something else, but I wouldn't worry about it, we've all been there.

Reactions: 1 user
Make it incredibly easy for her. Send an email with Step by step info, any details she'd need, links in the email etc. If it doesn't happen, just move on. She may just be too busy right now or something else, but I wouldn't worry about it, we've all been there.
yea I've pretty much done that with the email I sent her. I attached the instructions, bolded the ERAS letter ID, and included website to upload it to. I'm gonna look for other letters in the mean time and if she pulls through, that's great. if not, it's all good. thanks for the advice!

Members don't see this ad :)
Write the letter, and ask her to sign it.

"About 4 months ago, she told me that she will upload the letter by April."

sorry, i didn't clarify. i meant she told me she has the letter written already, but hasn't had time to upload it. That's according to what she told me 4 months ago. i'm not sure if that's her saying that she's still working on the letter but from what i've seen, it doesn't seem that difficult to upload the letter to ERAS. all you need is an account and the letter ID.

even if she doesn't have it written, i cant get in contact with her to offer that option. i'm going to keep contacting her but won't rely on her letter to come through for ERAS. Thanks!

Does this person have an office or secretary?, A polite phone call in follow up might do the trick. Setting things up in ERAS is a little time consuming the first time. I wrote many letters and e mails for the students I endorsed with the occasional phone call to the PD or the residency liason. It does take time. You might consider a plan B, additional LOR from someone else.

Reactions: 1 users
Does this person have an office or secretary?, A polite phone call in follow up might do the trick. Setting things up in ERAS is a little time consuming the first time. I wrote many letters and e mails for the students I endorsed with the occasional phone call to the PD or the residency liason. It does take time. You might consider a plan B, additional LOR from someone else.
that sounds like a good idea. ill reach out to her secretary and see if they're able to relay my message to her.
yea, I'm currently looking for other LORs and I do have a sub-i in august. I'm hopeful that something will come from that!

thank you for your advice!

Maybe your emails are going to her junk box.

Maybe your emails are going to her junk box.
maybe my emails are going into her junk box, but i've also texted her too. i think my best bet is to keep trying to reach out and at the same time actively look for a new LOR. i have a sub-i in a few weeks and hopefully, i can get a letter from it (which itself should be a stronger letter).

thank you for your input!

Look for an alternative letter.

Find out who her admin/secretary is and POLITELY ask if there’s anything they need from you in order to finish and upload the letter.

If she hasn't done after so many text messages then chances are slim. Like someone mentioned above reach out to her admin and wait for that. You need to ask some other preceptor to write you a LOR. All the best!