Lor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SkylineMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently an MS4 and will be applying for anesthesia this coming year. As I get together what I need for my application, I was wondering about LORs. I have talked to the graduating 4th years who had told me that at my host institution, it's hard to find anyone that write's good LORs from anesthesia. Accepting this fact and the fact that my away and home anesthesia rotations are in sep/oct., I was thinking of my non-anesthesia LORs.

I was recently offered by my Family medicine preceptor who is a DO that he would write me a LOR. I feel that he would write me a pretty good one but I don't know whether family medicine LOR would be acceptable or not? or should I pursue one from elsewhere.

In addition, my chief resident in surgery told me that he would write me one, but this seems a bit odd because i don't think any weight would be placed on that letter from a chief?

Does it matter who writes the letter as long as its a good one or are some specialties preferred over others?

Members don't see this ad.

For my LOR, I prefer saline.

All kidding aside, I would jump at the LOR offer from your FP mentor.

I think it's probably an unstated requirement that you get at least one letter from an anesthesiologist. Hopefully that will work out for you this fall.

As for the chief resident in surgery, I would take it as well. Remember, once your letters are loaded into ERAS, you can pick and choose which ones you submit to a given program...

BNE

The program director at my school pretty much said that you must have a letter from an anesthesiologist. Since I had met with her and sort of used her as an advisor, she offered to right a letter on my behalf.

She also offered me very good advice regarding letters of recommendation along with a personal story of hers about one of her letter writers. Her advice was to only get letters from people who will be able to write you a GOOD or GREAT letter. I asked her questions regarding letter writers because I read somewhere that programs look at the position of the faculty member and that you should try to get more senior people. Well guess what? If the more senior person will write a mediocre letter that says that you seem like a very nice person and that they do not see why you shouldn't make a good anesthesiologist - then who cares about their title then?

Her story was that she asked the chairman to write her a letter when she was applying (a long time ago) and he said that he would. Well she didn't match and she got to see her letter and it said something to the effect of what I wrote above - she was nice and he did not see why she would not make a good anesthesiologist. And that was it.

So - get good letters and upload additional letters later.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to jump along on this thread, I'll be doing an away in october and though it may be a little late, i could possibly get a good letter from it (get to work one on one with an anesthesiologist). Would it be too late to get the LOR and have it submitted? I suppose the question is, can I update my information to have different LORs sent out or is the system fixed that once an application is sent out, they get only that first set of LORs along with the rest of the application?

Just to jump along on this thread, I'll be doing an away in october and though it may be a little late, i could possibly get a good letter from it (get to work one on one with an anesthesiologist). Would it be too late to get the LOR and have it submitted? I suppose the question is, can I update my information to have different LORs sent out or is the system fixed that once an application is sent out, they get only that first set of LORs along with the rest of the application?

LORs can be changed or added after you submit your application. You do not need to delay it if you don't have them all ready when ERAS opens.