LORs? Am I too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jmassey

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, here's my situation. This summer I submitted the AMCAS in early June, things were going good. Before, I got any secondaries back, I decided that med school may not be for me and decided to stay in pharmacy school. Now, just last week, I interviewed at a school and I am fired up about going to med school. Now, here is my question, I have 1 LOR from a prof already, I need 2 more. If I ask 2 of my profs on Monday to write for me will I still have a chance of getting my apps in with a decent amount of time left in the process? Or am I crazy late??? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

It is late, however you could explain to the profs exactly what you posted here and maybe they can help you by quickly writing you one and then you could fedex it to the school.

How did you interview without having your LOR in to that school?

A number of pre-meds have asked me about LOR's (letter's of recommendations). They were confused as to when you send them to the school. You are supposed to send them to a school who sends you a secondary. You don't send them to all your schools when you apply, only AFTER you get their secondaries.

Does anyone know of a school where you send them before you get their 2ndaries?

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't even fill out the secondary and they still offered me an interview. They told me that I could interview without the letters, but they'd need them before they made a decision. I'm just concerned with the other schools that I still haven't even sent back the secondaries yet.

A lot of secondaries are on-line. You don't have to sit around waiting for secondaries, for the most part. But Amy's right, the LORs go with the secondaries, not the primary application.

I would definetly make it a priority on Monday to get those letters. STRESS to your prof the urgency of your situation. Make sure you pick someone you know who is a fast, go-getter. Some profs seem to move in slow motion, so chose wisely.

And even though it costs money I would absolutely send things fed ex or overnight mail. the sooner you get them in the better it will be for the school you already interviewed at. And the other schools won't start looking at your application till they have your 2ndary and your LOR.

Good luck, you are still ok in the application process but the sooner your file is complete the better your chances will be.

Good luck

ok, i'm super-curious as to which school you were allowed to interview w/o a complete file. like others have said, LORs go w/secondaries, and while i have heard of schools offering interviews before the 2ndary and LORs are in (umich), they won't let you come for an interview w/o the complete 2ndary/LOR file.

goodmonkey, i pm'ed you.

got it, thx. :) best of luck!