LORs from optometrists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cassialoy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard that some people just shadow optometrists for a day or two. Is this because that particular optometrist has only this much time to allow any shadowing/volunteering? In either case, are they willing to write a letter of recommendation just based on one or two days worth of interaction (getting to know you as a person, etc.)? I'm guessing that we need to give them a resume too (just like when we ask one from a professor) ?

Members don't see this ad.

Be sure to give them a resume and perhaps a cover letter explaining why you want to attend optometry school...

I think every optometrist's comfort level for writing an LOR is different. Some will be willing to write a letter after a day or two, and some will want more time. Obviously, the longer the optometrist knows you, the more personal they can make your letter. Generally, the more personal and in-depth the letter, the better.

As the previous poster mentioned, you should provide the optometrist with a resume, brief statement about why you want to be an optometrist, and your transcripts. This will give them an idea about who you really are, not just the person that showed up in their office for two days to observe.

As to why some students only observe for a day or two... perhaps that is all they feel is needed to get an idea of the practice and the particular doctor? If the optometrist likes you... I'm sure they'll be willing to have you back as often as you and he/she are able.

Good luck!

I applied to PCO and all they required was a LOR from the college pre-professional committee. I shadowed an optometrist for only a day. I did not provide that optometrist with a resume, but at the same time, I didn't ask her for a LOR.