LORs & interfolio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sxs316

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok so maybe I am a little slow but can someone help me figure out what is going on with L.O.Rs and AMCAS/TMDSAS

Do I need to send the letters with my primaries or secondaries?
I signed up for interFolio but TMDSAS F.A.Q say that letters has to fit a ton of criteria & have their form attached. I have even less of a clue for AMCAS, as their F.A.Q only says that they have a new LOR program for participating schools....

So if anyone wants go give me a run down on what to do that would be appreciated.

P.S. I have one LOR from science prof, one from humanities prof, one from researcher, and one from a team of a nuerosurgeons. none from a commitee..good enough?

Members don't see this ad.

Does your school have a premed committee?

My school has one and they write a personalized letter for us and send it out themselves free of charge to as many schools as you specify.

Check to see if your school offers that program. It would be easier on you and may look better to see the school writing a personalized letter rather than a compiled letter sent froma third party IMO.

Also another thing to keep in mind, if you apply to any of the AMCAS schools that participate in the AMCAS letter of recommendation service thing, you MUST use the AMCAS letter of recommendation service for those schools. You can't use interfolio or any other service.

I never liked AMCAS and now I don't like them even more. I feel like their major goal is to make money off of poor students.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also another thing to keep in mind, if you apply to any of the AMCAS schools that participate in the AMCAS letter of recommendation service thing, you MUST use the AMCAS letter of recommendation service for those schools. You can't use interfolio or any other service.

I never liked AMCAS and now I don't like them even more. I feel like their major goal is to make money off of poor students.

You can use Interfolio; you just use it to send your letters to AMCAS. So actually they are saving you money by forwarding your letters to the schools on the list.

Yeah, UVA is right. You use Interfolio to forward the letters to AMCAS. Sorry if I was unclear on that. Also, now that I think about it, I guess AMCAS is saving you money. But it does make things more complicated lol

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=507377

your application is not complete without the LOR's in the primary cycle.

Also for TMDsas send a PM to Jolie south, she is the moderator fpr texas schools I think.

haha, not a mod for Texas schools, but I am from Texas and applied TMDSAS and AMCAS.

here's my breakdown of how you should do things (this is according to last cycle before AMCAS LOR service):

-submit primary and get LORs together
-have writers submit LORs to Interfolio and TMDSAS (with coversheet)
-TMDSAS forwards letters on to schools for you
-complete secondaries and have interfolio send letters to AMCAS schools.

there are people that have experience with just sending letters to interfolio and then forwarding them to TMDSAS. that probably works too. i just didn't want to risk them getting my letters confused by not having the TMDSAS coversheet, so that's why i didn't do it that way.

as far as whether your letters are sufficient, does your school have a committee?

-if so, it's best to go through them and follow their requirements. TMDSAS and most AMCAS schools prefer committee letters.

-if not or you go to UT and it's difficult to get in, then i'd follow the rule of 2 science profs, 1 non-science prof, and another extra letter from a PI, volunteer coordinator, or employer. this will probably get you through AMCAS schools. for TMDSAS, they only allow 3 letters max, so i'd check the website for what they recommend (i'm a non trad so my reqs were different).

I don't know what the deal is with this. Will AMCAS service not allow letters to be stored at Interfolio and then sent to them?

If not, then you'll have to work that out. Again, this is the first year that AMCAS has offered this, so I'm not familiar at all with how it works.

I don't know what the deal is with this. Will AMCAS service not allow letters to be stored at Interfolio and then sent to them?

If not, then you'll have to work that out. Again, this is the first year that AMCAS has offered this, so I'm not familiar at all with how it works.

AMCAS will be accepting letters from Interfolio users on behalf of the twenty schools that are participating in the AMCAS LOR pilot program. For a list of those 20 schools, please look here - http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/faq/amcasletters.htm

When an Interfolio user is ready to send their letters to AMCAS they can either search for "AMCAS" or one of the 20 participating schools in Step 1 of the delivery process. You'll just need to select the position for AMCAS, select your documents, and send your delivery on its way. AMCAS will then be in charge of getting your letters to your targeted schools.

TMDSAS is also set up to receive LOR's electronically from Interfolio, so you can send letters from your Interfolio account directly to them.

For more specific questions about the AMCAS process, please contact them directly or reference this page: http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/f...lettersfaq.htm

If you have questions about the Interfolio side of things, please send us an e-mail at [email protected]. You can also reach us via phone at 202-223-3358 or toll-free at 877-77-FOLIO.

Good luck to all applicants!

Jack Gaynor
Interfolio, Inc.

AMCAS will be accepting letters from Interfolio users on behalf of the twenty schools that are participating in the AMCAS LOR pilot program. For a list of those 20 schools, please look here - http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/faq/amcasletters.htm

When an Interfolio user is ready to send their letters to AMCAS they can either search for "AMCAS" or one of the 20 participating schools in Step 1 of the delivery process. You'll just need to select the position for AMCAS, select your documents, and send your delivery on its way. AMCAS will then be in charge of getting your letters to your targeted schools.

TMDSAS is also set up to receive LOR's electronically from Interfolio, so you can send letters from your Interfolio account directly to them.

For more specific questions about the AMCAS process, please contact them directly or reference this page: http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/f...lettersfaq.htm

If you have questions about the Interfolio side of things, please send us an e-mail at [email protected]. You can also reach us via phone at 202-223-3358 or toll-free at 877-77-FOLIO.

Good luck to all applicants!

Jack Gaynor
Interfolio, Inc.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

sweet..thanks Jack. I just checked out the send letter menu and saw that you can put the ID number on there.

So once all the letters are on interfolio I need to send one copy of each to

- AMCAS for the couple schools participating in the Amcas letter service
- TMDSAS for my texas apps
- each other med school I am applying to

Sound about right?

sweet..thanks Jack. I just checked out the send letter menu and saw that you can put the ID number on there.

So once all the letters are on interfolio I need to send one copy of each to

- AMCAS for the couple schools participating in the Amcas letter service
- TMDSAS for my texas apps
- each other med school I am applying to

Sound about right?

That sounds about right. Please check with each school or organization to which you are sending documents to make sure your application is complete. While we are the experts on document collection and delivery, they are the experts on their respective application processes.

For detailed instructions regarding submitting your letters to AMCAS, check out our recent blog post on deliveries to AMCAS.

Good luck!

Jack
Interfolio