LOR’s? Research? Help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alexandrajolie

Jolie Smith
Reaction score
Okay so two things.
1) Letters of Recommendation.
I’m currently wrapping up my first year of college, but I would really like to get my LORs started. I haven’t really made any connections with any of my professors, so is it inappropriate to perhaps ask? Or should I just try?

2) research. The school I attend doesn’t have a large focus on STEM in general and is extremely difficult for me to find research. Tips? Is there ways I could do research outside of school? And how would I go about it?

thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

If you haven't made any meaningful connections with your professors, then there's no reason to ask them. You have more than enough time to ask professors who actually know who you are.

You can try to find research opportunities outside of school over the summer to work on. Additionally, if there is a hospital near you, you could try to see if you can find a part time job as a clinical research coordinator, but this probably won't be any easier to find than just finding a lab at your school.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Okay so two things.
1) Letters of Recommendation.
I’m currently wrapping up my first year of college, but I would really like to get my LORs started. I haven’t really made any connections with any of my professors, so is it inappropriate to perhaps ask? Or should I just try?

2) research. The school I attend doesn’t have a large focus on STEM in general and is extremely difficult for me to find research. Tips? Is there ways I could do research outside of school? And how would I go about it?

thank you!!
1) Ask them "Professor Jones, do you know me well enough to write me a good LOR for my med school application?"

2) You don't need research for DO schools (and it's over-rated for MD as well).