LOR's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tanner82

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
okay so I am applying next cycle... I'm not going through the pre-med committe since it is very disorganized and I seem to gain alot more knowledge via SDN than I ever could from them. So one of my few questions is with the LOR's. I'm applying myself so what should I tell my recommenders to write? Is there a generic format that has to include x, y, and z? Also where should I send them to? Should I just ask them for a copy and send it into AACOMAS or should I have an address ready for them to send it in without me seeing it? Thanks, you guys are really helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

do a search on here for interfolio.

it rocks! :luck:

okay so I am applying next cycle... I'm not going through the pre-med committe since it is very disorganized and I seem to gain alot more knowledge via SDN than I ever could from them. So one of my few questions is with the LOR's. I'm applying myself so what should I tell my recommenders to write? Is there a generic format that has to include x, y, and z? Also where should I send them to? Should I just ask them for a copy and send it into AACOMAS or should I have an address ready for them to send it in without me seeing it? Thanks, you guys are really helpful.

Well, you should have the writers send their letters directly to the service. So if you are doing AACOMAS get an envelope already addressed and stamped and hand it to the writer with your request. This will make it as easy as possible for them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to clear up any confusion.....your LORs are not sent to AACOMAS. Your LORs will need to be sent with your secondaries to each school. There are a couple of ways to go about this. You can have each writer send their letter directly to the schools. However, this can be labor intensive for your writers - depending on the number of schools. I agree with the above poster....search on the formus for Interfolio. I used it and it really does ROCK! Also, check the website of each school because LOR requirements can be different from one school to the next. Best of luck!

I am sososo sorry, you are so right, I guess I had a blank attack :) It is to be sent to each school. Sorry to confuse you. But if you apply in Texas it does have to be sent to TMDSAS.

So Do i tell my writers to write "general" letters of recc and send them into interfolio?? How'd you work that?

i didnt tell my writers what kind of letters to write, i think they know what comes with the territory. what i did was provide them with resume and a short note explaining how interfolio holds the letters (confidentially), and then sends them out to all the schools i applied to.

this way your letter writer understands this one letter they write will go to multiple schools.

:luck:

i didnt tell my writers what kind of letters to write, i think they know what comes with the territory. what i did was provide them with resume and a short note explaining how interfolio holds the letters (confidentially), and then sends them out to all the schools i applied to.

this way your letter writer understands this one letter they write will go to multiple schools.

:luck:

very cool - thank you so much!!!

Sorry for jumping in on your thread, but I have a related question.

Is it ok to send extra letters of reccommendation to a school? The dean of my institution is willing to write me a letter of reccomendation. I think this is a very good letter to have, but I am wondering if a school asks for letters specifically from 1 or 2 science professors if it would be wrong to send the Dean's letter in addition to these letters. Will this help, hurt or have no effect? :confused:

Well, you should have the writers send their letters directly to the service. So if you are doing AACOMAS get an envelope already addressed and stamped and hand it to the writer with your request. This will make it as easy as possible for them.

i'd get your facts straight before screwing someone else over. you dont seen LORs to AACOMAS.

maybe theyre right afterall ...

Is it ok to send extra letters of reccommendation to a school? The dean of my institution is willing to write me a letter of reccomendation. I think this is a very good letter to have, but I am wondering if a school asks for letters specifically from 1 or 2 science professors if it would be wrong to send the Dean's letter in addition to these letters. Will this help, hurt or have no effect? :confused:

should be fine.

When I applied some schools stated specifically to not send extra letters. Other schools encouraged extra letters. I would check with each school on what they prefer.

the BEST thing you can do is give each letter writer a folder (feel free to title and date said folder "Tanner82 -- Letter of Recommendation"). Stuff this folder with 1) and most important: A CLEAR DUE DATE EARLIER THAN YOU ACTUALLY NEED/EXPECT IT. I'd recommend requesting it around 6 weeks after the "will you write me a letter" date so they can take their time but won't totally forget the task; 2) your contact info (email and phone); 3) your "story" (in the form of a mini biography and/or resume and/or personal statement); 4) a transcript; 5) a stamped envelope addressed to Interfolio (or your advisor if you choose to go that route--personally i'm pro-Interfolio) and the accompanying confidentiality waiver cover letter.

a week before the established "due date", send each writer a thank you card. works like a charm.