Would too many LOR's hurt my application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bears1992

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I noticed that most DO schools only ask for 1 science letter and 1 DO letter (I'm a non-trad so I don't have a committee letter). There are a few schools that want 2 science letters, 1 non-science letter and 1 DO letter. I have 6 LORs saved in Interfolio and I would rank them as:

1) Employer (7 years at engineering company)
2) Research Advisor
3) Dean of Engineering (one of my professors)
4) ER DO
5) Orgo professor
6) Psychology professor

I would prefer to send my top four letters to AACOMAS and then send my orgo professor and psychology professor letter separately only to schools that require them. None of my schools require an employer letter or research advisor letter but I know mine are excellent. Would it hurt my application to send these additional two letters to each school even though they are not required?

Members don't see this ad.

Why not just send them all in AACOMAS?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the letters from your employer and research advisor should definitely be sent. As a non-trad applicant, it demonstrates what you did between being in school to the present, and having a stellar LOR from an employer is always very good. I think your plan is good if you say the psych and orgo letters are probably rather generic; just send them in to schools that want them if you don't want to send them to all.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree that you should only send your best letters. There's a reason why the AACOMAS limits the number of LOR's in the first place. I'm no adcom, but I don't think a crap load of LOR's flooding in with your application helps you at all; it might even hurt your application if there's a bad letter or a very generic letter in there.

Admissions Committee: "This applicant is too recommended... that's no good." *shreds application*

Admissions Committee: "This applicant is too recommended... that's no good." *shreds application*

Obviously you disagree, but if accumulating many letters is a good thing, which very well may be the case (idk), why aren't applicants just piling LOR's onto their app? Send in 15-20 letters; so many people recommend this applicant so he/she must be good, right?

Obviously you disagree, but if accumulating many letters is a good thing, which very well may be the case (idk), why aren't applicants just piling LOR's onto their app? Send in 15-20 letters; so many people recommend this applicant so he/she must be good, right?

I was just messing with ya! I would send the best 5.

And to answer your question, I believe there is a upper limit of the LORs you can use dependent on the school.

Because 5 is the maximum (for AACOMAS and AMCAS it's 6 I believe), and a lot of people do actually send in that many.

OP actually there are a number of schools that will require 2 science letters and a physician letter and a few others that require 2 science and 1 non-science and a physician letter. To be safe I had 2 science, a non-science, a DO letter and an MD letter (although this was because I was fairly sure the DO one was more generic and the MD one was fairly good)

I sent 6 letters with my AACOMAS application. 2 science professors, my pre-health advisor, 2 DO letters, and my volunteer coordinator. I sent all 6 to AACOMAS for every school because it's too expensive to pick and choose which letters go where through interfolio...some schools want 1 science professor, some want 2. Some schools want an advisor letter if you don't have a committee letter, some don't need one. And I threw in my volunteer coordinator letter because I know it's a kick ass letter and many schools like to see lots of community service. I think any more than 6 would hurt your app. There's a reason AACOMAS limits it to 6. I think it's fine to send 6 letters, so long as you know those letters are awesome and not just a bunch of mediocre recommendations.

Reactions: 1 user