Losing Hope

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MCAThater

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been studying for the mcat for nearly a year now and I just feel hopeless. I took the mcat once before and did not do so well and I am really trying to do well this second time around. I have been studying every day and night and neglecting everything else in my life (yet maintaining a somewhat balance), but I don't think my score has improved much. I know the material back and forth, took nearly every practice exam/practice material out there but I still don't do well on the exams. I don't know if its the critical thinking or my lack of reading comprehension, but I am afraid of failing this test again. I have only 2 practice tests that I haven't taken before left and I took one this morning and did very poorly :(; I am very sad and a little depressed. It is too late to postpone my test since I am taking it on may 23rd, but I also just want to get it over with. I feel like I had a false sense of doing well because I've done the aamc's and other tests before and nailed them in my practices but that is most probably because I've seen the questions before.

I graduated from a good school with a good GPA, decent EC, volunteering, research, etc. All I want is a 30 on this mcat and move on. I just don't know what I'll do if I have to take this test again! The first time I took the test my practice scores were ranging in mid 30s and my actual score was in the mid 20s, which was the exact score I got on my diagnostic 1 year ago. Half a year has past and I learned a lot from then but I just don't feel that my score is much different. People here seem to be really smart and I feel queezy every time someone posts that they received a 35+ which is quite frequent :barf:. I don't want to make other people as scared as I am, since I am the only one of my friends who did not score within his/her practice score, but I am becoming quite afraid.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been studying for the mcat for nearly a year now and I just feel hopeless. I took the mcat once before and did not do so well and I am really trying to do well this second time around. I have been studying every day and night and neglecting everything else in my life (yet maintaining a somewhat balance), but I don't think my score has improved much. I know the material back and forth, took nearly every practice exam/practice material out there but I still don't do well on the exams. I don't know if its the critical thinking or my lack of reading comprehension, but I am afraid of failing this test again. I have only 2 practice tests that I haven't taken before left and I took one this morning and did very poorly :(; I am very sad and a little depressed. It is too late to postpone my test since I am taking it on may 23rd, but I also just want to get it over with. I feel like I had a false sense of doing well because I've done the aamc's and other tests before and nailed them in my practices but that is most probably because I've seen the questions before.

I graduated from a good school with a good GPA, decent EC, volunteering, research, etc. All I want is a 30 on this mcat and move on. I just don't know what I'll do if I have to take this test again! The first time I took the test my practice scores were ranging in mid 30s and my actual score was in the mid 20s, which was the exact score I got on my diagnostic 1 year ago. Half a year has past and I learned a lot from then but I just don't feel that my score is much different. People here seem to be really smart and I feel queezy every time someone posts that they received a 35+ which is quite frequent :barf:. I don't want to make other people as scared as I am, since I am the only one of my friends who did not score within his/her practice score, but I am becoming quite afraid.

Relax, Your biggest enemy on the 23rd will be your own personal fear and insecurity. You must have confidence in your ability to perform well on this test. You have paid your dues, believe in yourself, let it happen, and you will be fine.

hey, it's my second time, too. seeing a "significant" change in your exam score even on any practice exam is tricky and somewhat energy-draining. but hey, you have done your part in studying for this exam. like the feedback above, feel confident. they test you only on the material you already covered, so don't be nervous and own the game.

Dont go in defeated, you have been studying for a year now, be confident in your work and you knowledge and tell yourself you are going to destroy the test. You can study all you want but being discouraged is just going to make you extremely nervous when you are going through the questions on the actual test. YOU HAVE PUT IN THE WORK, BE CONFIDENT IN YOUR ABILITY.

Members don't see this ad :)
With this kinda attitude, you've already lost before you even started. Like everything else in life, if you want to perform well, you must go in with confidence. I'm in pretty much the same situation as you. I took the Mcats last year and didn't even break 20. Now I'm much more prepared, read over the material numerous times, and made sure I knew the stuff like the back of my hand.

We're in the same boat, only difference is that I believe in myself, you should too.

Please remember that practice test scores are not predictive of your actual test score. Use them to gauge progress - i.e. it's good if your practice scores are steadily climbing. But if you're consistently scoring the same week after week (even if it's in the low-30s), don't assume you're "ready" - rather, I'd see it as "not improving."