General Admissions & OTCAS Lost Confidence

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clow1001

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm posting this now after reading about different stats and acceptances into OT programs.
Frankly, I've lost all confidence in myself and feel like my long-time dream of becoming an OT is slipping away.
I graduated in 2014 with my undergraduate degree in Psychology and a minor in child development. My GPA is a 3.34 - after reading many of the stats on this forum, I feel like it's not even close to being up to par for any programs. Upon graduation, I knew that I needed to do more to improve my chances of getting into school, so for the past 2 years I have worked as a paraprofessional in a high school "Life Skills" classroom. All of these students are non-verbal and most of them have Autism. I absolutely loved working here and I feel as though it has improved my chances, but I just feel like I've been in a slump with applying. I wish I had the confidence of knowing I had a chance to get in... but I just don't think it's in the cards for me. I wasn't going to apply this year but decided to apply to 2 schools very late in the cycle this year and haven't even heard back. I was just wondering if anyone has had similar feelings who could give me any advice...

Members don't see this ad.

Your experience teaching that life skills class is absolutely amazing and a lot of schools, I'm sure, would be very interested in that. Have you written about it in your personal statement or had a letter of rec that expounded on it? I think it sets you apart.

If you don't get in this cycle, ask the admissions committee on how you can improve your application! You can do this. I'm in a similar situation and I will mosly probably have to reapply, but I've realized that this is going to be a moment in my life where I'm going to have to find strength and resolve in myself. This is only going to make us stronger and more resilient in the future.

Your experience teaching that life skills class is absolutely amazing and a lot of schools, I'm sure, would be very interested in that. Have you written about it in your personal statement or had a letter of rec that expounded on it? I think it sets you apart.

If you don't get in this cycle, ask the admissions committee on how you can improve your application! You can do this. I'm in a similar situation and I will mosly probably have to reapply, but I've realized that this is going to be a moment in my life where I'm going to have to find strength and resolve in myself. This is only going to make us stronger and more resilient in the future.

Thanks for your response/advice. It's nice to hear that I'm not the only one feeling this way. I did write about it in my essay and one of my LOR's is from the teacher I worked with. I know this what I want to do, and I know I will make a great OT one day - this whole application process/GPA has really thrown me for a loop. Ugh. Wishing you the best of luck - thanks for lifting my spirits.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm posting this now after reading about different stats and acceptances into OT programs.
Frankly, I've lost all confidence in myself and feel like my long-time dream of becoming an OT is slipping away.
I graduated in 2014 with my undergraduate degree in Psychology and a minor in child development. My GPA is a 3.34 - after reading many of the stats on this forum, I feel like it's not even close to being up to par for any programs. Upon graduation, I knew that I needed to do more to improve my chances of getting into school, so for the past 2 years I have worked as a paraprofessional in a high school "Life Skills" classroom. All of these students are non-verbal and most of them have Autism. I absolutely loved working here and I feel as though it has improved my chances, but I just feel like I've been in a slump with applying. I wish I had the confidence of knowing I had a chance to get in... but I just don't think it's in the cards for me. I wasn't going to apply this year but decided to apply to 2 schools very late in the cycle this year and haven't even heard back. I was just wondering if anyone has had similar feelings who could give me any advice...

Don't give up on yourself! I know people with lower GPA's than you and have gotten in, the hardest part is just finding that specific school. Never put yourself down because you aren't "as good as someone else." Some schools look at experience more than GPA, and frankly I think all schools should be like that. Just because someone has an outstanding 4.0 GPA doesn't mean they will make a good OT & someone with a 3.0 with a lot of experience will probably make a great OT. It's just all about finding that school that will believe in you, and you will find one! Keep doing what you are doing & try racking up as much experience/volunteer hours as you can, that really helps.

Reactions: 1 user
I can totally empathize with you. I got into school my first time applying and my overall gpa is only a 3.30. My prereq gpa is much higher, but based on my overall gpa, I didn't think I had a shot. Apply to schools that look at the whole package, not just grades. And get observation hours in a variety of settings and get more hours than they require (don't just do the bare min.). Do whatever you can to boost your app, apply to schools very early, and give yourself lots of time to work on essays. Good luck! It's normal to feel this way, but don't give up on your dream!

Last edited:
I think reading up too much on acceptance rates and stuff like that can really psych you out. You have great experience, and along with good GREs and solid LORs/personal statements, you will absolutely be a strong candidate for many programs. I felt the same hopeless feeling when I began applying and saw all the stats here, and applied to 12 schools in my panic. I got in to all but two (which I've been waitlisted at). We judge our own applications more harshly than we should, I think.

Just be sure to apply early and show your passion for the field through your essays. You've got this, good luck!

Put your stats up in detail and where abouts you want to apply. In detail like last 60 etc etc

Don't compare yourself to others. I promise you that my stats aren't/wasn't as impressive as some people's on here, but I got into OT school... just apply early and focus on u, not others. Apply to schools that look at ur whole application and not just test scores and gpa, and try to apply to schools that have interviews (they are sooo important and I'm pretty sure it helped me get accepted). Best of luck!

Don't feel down on yourself! Most schools, especially for OT, look at much more than just numbers and many care more about life experience and how you articulate yourself and your personal goals in essays and interviews. The best application advice I got was this: if you didn't get in somewhere simply because they only looked at your numbers, would you really want to go there anyway? Focus on showcasing what makes you unique and drives your passion for OT :) I got into a few places that I was at/slightly below numbers-wise because I put a lot of time/thought into my essays! Best of luck to you!

I wouldn't worry about it. You have great experience that will look good on your application. I have a very similar GPA as you and I didn't do well on the GRE. However, I had similar experience as you working as a Psychosocial Rehabilitation Worker where I worked with kids and adults with different disabilities. I also was actively involved in many extracurricular activities, volunteered in a lot of different OT settings, and I had great LORs. I was invited to interview to multiple schools and they went great. I was waitlisted at 1 school and accepted at another. Most schools will look at your application holistically so try not to get too stressed out. Anything is possible :)

I have a similar GPA as you, poor GRE scores, and less experience as you but i still received invites to interview and acceptances. You definitely have a shot. Just apply to a wide range of programs including ones in less desirable cities.

I agree with the above. This is my 2nd year applying and I've had interviews, but got wait listed to all 3 that I interviewed at. I also was rejected by 2 schools. So instead of being down and feeling sorry for myself, I was proactive and applied to like 7 more schools all over the country. I now have another interview coming up in FL! Doesn't mean I'll get in, but I've just been staying positive.

I think many people are too hard on themselves for not getting in. It is SUCH a competitive program. Everything happens for a reason, so if you do not get in this year and this is something you really want to do, reapply for next cycle! Good things will come around for you, whether you see it now or not. Keep your chin up!

Reactions: 4 users

Don't give up! I graduated in 2013 with a BS in Kinesiology. My plan was to take a year off to work at a rehab clinic and then apply for graduate programs. During my undergrad I worked at an elementary school as a paraprofessional with special needs students. After working for a year and volunteering at clinics here and there, I applied to 4 programs. The application process was overwhelming. Unfortunately, I didn't get in a program. Not even a wait-list or an interview offer. I too felt like you feel now. I was disappointed and began to worry about my future. I would have to wait another year. Just my luck, that extra year waiting also meant my anatomy, physiology, and stats classes would reach that 5 year expiration date. Not only did I have to wait another year and just work, I had to also retake 3 classes!

I began contacting school districts to volunteer specifically with OTs, as well as OTs in other settings. It took a couple months for some of them to contact me, but I kept emailing them to let them know I was interested. I didn't want to just have my job experience as the only OT exposure on my application. I ended up being able to volunteer with an OT in a school setting, an OT specializing in neurological diseases, and an OT specializing in hippotherapy.

With me retaking the 3 classes, I made sure I got all As, which brought my GPA up to a 3.4. I knew that with the new experiences and the improvement on my GPA, I would have a better chance at first glance. But I knew I still needed a strong personal essay and recommendations. I made multiple drafts and had people who went to grad school read them and give me pointers. I don't think I had ever worked this hard. I was running on 4 hours of sleep daily between work, volunteering, and working on the personal statement, but it was worth it. I was invited to interview at 4 schools, one wait-listed me, another accepted me, and I'm still waiting on the last 2 (should be getting something from one within the next week!)

It is devastating not getting in, but make sure you step back and take a good look at your application. Is it as strong as you can make it? I know some parts aren't in our control, like the GRE (I did ok, but not as well as others on here), but getting exposure to different scopes in the field is definitely something we can all do. Start emailing places early and show them your interest. With summer around the corner, places start losing volunteers who go on to school, but they have a long list of people who are interested. And your classes, is there maybe a class that you got a B in and could easily get an A on? Especially if the class is almost at that 5 year mark.

Keep your head up and best of luck!

Clow stop doubting yourself and get to applying. Apply to many schools and early. Win them with your statement and interview. People can feel passion in another person. I dont think you realize what a skill it is to connect with individuals who are non verbal and autistic. Trust me, that is a skill not everyone has. There is a place for you in OT if you stop doubting yourself and just do it. My professor used to say she didnt look for the students with the highest gpas but moreso the ones with clinical skills and experience with the population ot's work with

I have a similar GPA as you, poor GRE scores, and less experience as you but i still received invites to interview and acceptances. You definitely have a shot. Just apply to a wide range of programs including ones in less desirable cities.
I agree with this. Although I have a decent GPA, I had very low GRE scores (the GRE is stupid and I'm not good at standardized tests!) but I have good experience like you do. I was rejected last year, and this year I applied to 14 schools! I did get accepted to one school this year. Don't be too down on yourself, but I can empathize. If you don't get in this year, look for some schools next year that maybe focus more on experience and less on GPA and GRE scores. Best of luck!

I graduated with a bachelor's in history with a GPA of 3.38. It was lower than I wanted to. My prerequisites were a bit higher which helped, but not by much. There are plenty of schools that look for people with good experiences in working with different groups of people so I would use your experience as a para to your advantage. Get advice on writing a good personal essay, get as many different OT observations and experiences in as you can, and you will be competitive. Good luck and don't give up! It took over 3 years for me to finally get into a program. I was denied 2 years in a row.

Don't give up! I totally relate to how you feel about the stats. I myself don't have a stellar cumulative GPA (like AT ALL, I have 2.8 cumulative for undergrad), and I've been rejected a couple of times. I just got accepted to a program however, so it it possible to make it in with less than stellar overall GPA as long as you make up for it in other areas (for me it was my GRE, pre-req GPA, essay, and experiences)

I too have an ESE background btw! I was a para for five years in a self contained classroom, elementary age.

Can you tell me more of your stats (cumulative, upper division, and pre-req, GRE), volunteering/shadowing experiences, who wrote your letters of rec (how did you know them), and what programs have you applied to?

I would love to help you in anyway I can!!