General Admissions & OTCAS Completely Lost and Defeated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jen10221

Reaction score
Hi guys! I'm currently in my final undergraduate semester for this upcoming fall 2020 and occupational therapy has been something that I recently decided I'd like to possibly pursue. Because of that, I don't have any shadowing hours at all and it may be difficult for me to obtain them due to Covid. I'm planning to apply for OT programs next year to get in for a 2022 masters program but I'd like the brutally honest truth if possible.

How and is it even possible to make my application competitive enough to have a chance of getting accepted into a program?
Cumulative GPA - 3.7
Prereq GPA - 3.6 (Should I retake my prereqs? How would OTCAS calculate a retaken course - would it be averaged?)

I'm planning to work on obtaining as much volunteer hours as possible from now until June 2021 so that I can start my application around that time period. Is there any other advice that you'd suggest to boost my application? I'm extremely stressed with the entirely process and I honestly feel like I'm a failure for not having planned any of this beforehand. Any advice at all would be extremely appreciated! Thank you so much in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys! I'm currently in my final undergraduate semester for this upcoming fall 2020 and occupational therapy has been something that I recently decided I'd like to possibly pursue. Because of that, I don't have any shadowing hours at all and it may be difficult for me to obtain them due to Covid. I'm planning to apply for OT programs next year to get in for a 2022 masters program but I'd like the brutally honest truth if possible.

How and is it even possible to make my application competitive enough to have a chance of getting accepted into a program?
Cumulative GPA - 3.7
Prereq GPA - 3.6 (Should I retake my prereqs? How would OTCAS calculate a retaken course - would it be averaged?)

I'm planning to work on obtaining as much volunteer hours as possible from now until June 2021 so that I can start my application around that time period. Is there any other advice that you'd suggest to boost my application? I'm extremely stressed with the entirely process and I honestly feel like I'm a failure for not having planned any of this beforehand. Any advice at all would be extremely appreciated! Thank you so much in advance!

Aww don't be defeated honestly my GPA was much much lower than yours. My cumulative GPA was a 3.32 (was a Bio Major for my first two years and it killed me). If you do have the time though and resources I strongly suggest retaking pre-reqs that you think you can boost your grades in. For example, developmental psych I got a B, because I was over committed that semester. So I retook it again in the summer online and got an A. I know it doesn't make a significant difference, but I like to think schools see this as my willingness to better my stats and how I am serious about applying.

Not sure how OTCAS calculates a retaken course though. I know they have a live chat and I am sure they can answer that in more detail.

With the COVID outbreak, I actually think most schools would be very understanding. But I know what you mean as a lot of applicants work in clinic they have tons of hours. But one thing I like to keep in mind is this, most schools are holistic. So if you are lacking in one area, make sure you make it up in other areas. For example, my GPA and GRE were really low so I made sure I spent more time on my personal statement and obtain great letter of recommendations. I am sure these are the things that saved me.

I would still try to see if there are any opportunities to volunteer as there might be telehealth options during this pandemic. Just keep an open mind and you never know what might come up. :)

Also I would strongly advise researching schools now and see which ones you have a chance in and which ones might be a stretch. I found (I applied previously) what helped the second time was applying schools on the top tier, middle tier, and lower tier (backup schools). This way I have a better chance of getting into OT school. Also, this gives you a chance to see what their curriculum is like and the location to see if you like the area.

If I can do it, you most definitely can! Don't give up. If OT is the path you would like to take, then do it. You aren't a failure for not knowing what you wanted to do. The truth is majority don't when they graduate. When I graduated, I thought I wanted to go into the finance field. But after working a couple years in the field, I found it wasn't for me. It is never too late to make a change.

Good luck and if you have any questions feel free to reach out. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Be vigilant in your community to understand what is going on in terms of shadowing opportunities.
Do they anticipate opening it up in a few months?
Is teletherapy something places would consider having you sit in if the family is comfortable?

OT schools are being flexible because they understand the current situation- look up the school like @OThopefully183 advised.

Pause and think. If you truly want to do OT. Does entering in 2022 or 2023 makes a difference? This is worst come to worst. I am quite confident you will be able to get shadowing opportunities to meet the 2022 deadline. Your GPA is fine. Things you can do to boost your application are solidifying your letters of recommendation and invest time in your personal statement.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with all of the above! I was denied from schools my first time applying and accepted my 2nd time applying and both my prereq and cum GPAs were lower than yours. My second time around, I focused on improving my shadow hours in a few different settings, spicing up my CV, letters of rec, and the personal statement. These things really make a difference! Do NOT feel like a failure, we've all been through it! Getting into OT school can feel like a never-ending battle, but it's totally worth it! :)

Reactions: 1 user