Other OT-Related Information Reapplying to occupational therapy programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ktb28

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am in quite the predicament and need advice. I am currently in my first year of an MOT program and I love it, but unfortunately I am may have to drop out. It’s not because school is too hard nor I don’t have an interest in OT anymore. That is not the case because I did well my first semester and being an OT is my dream job, I know it’s what I want to be in life. Due to personal life situations and financial issues I don’t think I will be able to continue right now. I was wondering if I were to reapply again in the future, would dropping out now effect my acceptance chances? What if I don’t get in the second time around? Then what? Has anyone ever been in this situation before and would be willing to share their story with me? Please and thank you in advance!

Sincerely,

A very lost soul.

Members don't see this ad.

I would speak with the chair of the program. Many programs allow a leave of absence, usually for a year. Can't hurt to ask - best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I would speak with the chair of the program. Many programs allow a leave of absence, usually for a year. Can't hurt to ask - best of luck!

That is actually a good idea! The only issue is my cohort is the last one to be an MOT program. Then next one will be an OTD. Do you think they would still allow a leave of absence?

Members don't see this ad :)
Absolutely talk to your program - this happened to someone in my program and they were allowed to join the next class.

You almost certainly would have to get an OTD, though, if your program is phasing out the MOT.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Agree with the above. There are stipulations for people who have life just happen. I know one of my classmates had her father pass, and she was able to take a leave, and return with the next cohort.

My big concern to ask about is whether you would have to retake the classes you just did well in. Some schools want the cohorts to start and end together. That would be terrible.. but sometimes you just have to decide what is best.

Whatever you choose.. best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user