Louisville and VCU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

Dsmack

Can anyone explain why I haven't heard anything from these two schools yet?

It kills me that others at my school (University of Utah) have interviews there with less than stellar stats. Meaning mine dominate their's.

Especially Louisville. I know of students with worse GPA's, no bachelor's, worse DAT scores, no research and have interviews and I don't.

Yes I have called the schools to make sure they have everything, and they do. In fact I turned everything in way back in May!!!! What the freak is going on? It just makes me think that these school's have some weird thinking that kids with high DAT scores won't go there so why even interview them. but VCU? This is killing me.
Yes, I have other interviews (9) but these were my top choices when I began the application process!

What the ____ am I missing?

Members don't see this ad.

Nine interviews?? Congrats!! I also attend the University of Utah and know of several people who have way lower stats than mine and are getting interviews to these schools too. I have still heard nothing. You are lucky to already have 9 interviews. I have only one interview, a rejection from Case, and heard nothing from anyone else. I don't know what the hold up is. I also submitted everything WAY early. I guess we just wait!!

Members don't see this ad :)

It kills me that others at my school (University of Utah) have interviews there with less than stellar stats. Meaning mine dominate their's.

Especially Louisville. I know of students with worse GPA's, no bachelor's, worse DAT scores, no research and have interviews and I don't.

Yes I have called the schools to make sure they have everything, and they do. In fact I turned everything in way back in May!!!! What the freak is going on? It just makes me think that these school's have some weird thinking that kids with high DAT scores won't go there so why even interview them. but VCU? This is killing me.
Yes, I have other interviews (9) but these were my top choices when I began the application process!

Maybe they haven't gotten to your application....you'll get it soon!

i haven't heard anything from VCU, but as usual, they have my money...awesome, i love wastin money

So let me get this right....you have nine interviews and these interviews are to your top schools. Then you've noticed that people, who aren't as brilliant as you obviously are, are getting interviews at schools that haven't offered you anything yet. So either you have a complex about everyone having to like and accept you, or you just can't stand that average people can make it too.

So let me get this right....you have nine interviews and these interviews are to your top schools. Then you've noticed that people, who aren't as brilliant as you obviously are, are getting interviews at schools that haven't offered you anything yet. So either you have a complex about everyone having to like and accept you, or you just can't stand that average people can make it too.

I could have sworn that this was a predent forum, not a friggin' psychiatry forum. Thanks for the free analysis, but I need someone who can answer the question.

Patience may be the key.
But sometimes this whole process makes me wonder.

Maybe they are interviewing for the wait list first? I called VCU the other day and the lady was extremely not helpful not even worth your time to call.

Schools interview for wait lists first, before applicants they are truly interested in? Curious where that may come from. Anyway... I called VCU with a question and Mrs. Strong-Peple was VERY, VERY nice. Are we talking about the same school here?

Maybe some of the schools are actually pulling their heads out of their #$% and figuring out that great stats does not always = a great dentist. I doubt it though.

I know how that feels DSMACK, I have a lot higher stats then most people that got an interview to NOVA, mine is not till Jan 3, so I proberly not even waste my money and go. I have not heard anything from VCU yet either, but I do not care I am withdrawing my application from there anyways. VCU is not that great of school for the money that you pay.

I have said this before but I believe it is where your application falls in the stacks not necesarily your stats. There are different people that look over the applications so maybe there are some people that hand out easy interviews and others that are stricter.

I wonder why someone without a bachelors, research, and lower stats get interviews before me also, but I guess I cannot complain too much, I have 8 interviews- BUT I do understand how fraustrating it feels when you worked really hard for good stats and research and others get interviews without trying at all.:(

Oh well, we can not do much about the system

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not getting any news from vcu, temple which others had lower stats than me and got interviews...

So well... I guess they think that I will not attend their school or something like that... hmmm....
But that is not true... I will go to any dental school that wants me...

haven't heard anything from either besides "complete" hopefully something more soon

i havent heard from either school yet...

I called up Louisville cause I couldnt take the waiting anymore and what do you know its still in review.

What you're missing is a sense of reality. Stay in MoMo land and quit your whining. Look guys, stats don't mean everything...and just give it time.

What you're missing is a sense of reality. Stay in MoMo land and quit your whining. Look guys, stats don't mean everything...and just give it time.

MoMo land huh, clever, mormons make the best dental students hands down. Ask any dean...Brownstein at UNLV, he's MoMo...........Whining, reality, huh......... I have everything AND stats. How many of you applicants can say that you have served the community for two years straight with no pay! How many have worked for three years in a dental lab?

I do think one of the posts earlier about applying to too many schools was valid. KOM's post was not very helpful.:thumbdown:

MoMo land huh, clever, mormons make the best dental students hands down. Ask any dean...Brownstein at UNLV, he's MoMo...........Whining, reality, huh......... I have everything AND stats. How many of you applicants can say that you have served the community for two years straight with no pay! How many have worked for three years in a dental lab?

I do think one of the posts earlier about applying to too many schools was valid. KOM's post was not very helpful.:thumbdown:

I didnt realize that the success of a student in professional school was based upon his or her religious preference. Nice one, genius.

Additionally,there are many applicants with as much,if not more,community service/dental experience as you. Myself included :smuggrin:

I didnt realize that the success of a student in professional school was based upon his or her religious preference. Nice one, genius.

Additionally,there are many applicants with as much,if not more,community service/dental experience as you. Myself included :smuggrin:

btw i am not sure i would count the 2 years service to the community.. its more like a service to your church ;)

Way to represent ***** :thumbdown:

BBUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!

OH NO HE DIDNT GIRL

:laugh: "mormons make the best dental students hands down", man thanks for letting me know about that...i mean seriously here I am, just takin it easy, trying to relax and hope that i get another interview...chillin if u will.....and out of the blue comes this guy, this mukaka guy or whatever ur name is, and just lays it on me about this whole mormons make the best dental students thing....all i want to know is why didnt someone tell me about this earlier.....if i could only do it all over again I would have been born into a Mormon family then i could be among the best dental students "hands down" YES!!!!! ....to say that u r better at anything, let alone dentistry, is first of all just condescending, which is just annoying..no one likes people that act like that, regardless of what they might tell you, they don't...but when you more or less imply that it is only those who believe what you believe and live how you live that make the best dental students then it becomes an issue that a brother might end up gettin handled over......only Mormons, not every one in the state of UTAH, but mormons...thanks for letting me know u playa ……………………………………………..but as if finding out that mormons make the best dental students isn’t bad enough…..this guy, what was ur real name again I didn’t catch it?, tells me he “has everything and stats”…..damn, how do you compete with that…..a mormon from utah that has everything and stats! And stats! Let me ask u something Franketah, how much hard bizznuss have u conducted out there in Utah? u don’t even know what hard is all about………so for the record, that’s one thing that u def. don’t have, the 2003 ultimate hard moves national championship Trophy!...it belongs to me and my associates.

Hey I’ll give that Brownstein guy from UNLV a call tomorrow, like u suggested, and ask him about this to see if its really true too, I’ll do it man, and I’ll tell him u sent me.:smuggrin:

This wouldn't even be such a problem if u guys were just more organized about letting people know this stuff....mabye u should start sending out some national newsletter to everyone thats applying or ever thinking of applying...that would be much more effective....and i quite frankly murdoch you seem to me like ur an extremely effective young man...congratulations on being the best, it must feel good.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

If i get into d-school I sure hope its not with you:cool:

so why would louisville be first choice for a morman? :) if i can remember correctly, i think there is a bunch of jewish hospitals around there :)

OH NO HE DIDNT GIRL

Oh yes he did girl..............?, Why is it that for the past month recruiters from around the nation have been flocking to all Utah schools, fighting for time at a school like Utah State, BYU, Utah, Weber State, etc.... Call any dean and ask them about the LDS students in their school. LDS students bring many things to the table, and while people of other faiths aren't excluded from the desirable traits of a successful student, they are found more often in the LDS culture.

Just stating the facts that many deans have stated to me. Look in the ADEA book, students from utah are everywhere in the nation, and by the handful.

To refer to another post, I should not even consider these schools anymore, you are right. I will take my nine interviews and make one of them my top choice. Thanks for the advice. I was just holding on too long for these schools.:thumbup:

I got to get back to my bizzzzzzzzzznesss..........:laugh:

The whole MoMo land got this started. I am just talking about what was already brought up.

I agree with KOM. It is only september people..bunch of paranoid freaks on this damn board. I hope i don't worked on by these freaks if i need a filling! :laugh: Just because you got an early interview doesn't mean you are going to get in..geeez

Oh yes he did girl..............?, Why is it that for the past month recruiters from around the nation have been flocking to all Utah schools, fighting for time at a school like Utah State, BYU, Utah, Weber State, etc.... Call any dean and ask them about the LDS students in their school. LDS students bring many things to the table, and while people of other faiths aren't excluded from the desirable traits of a successful student, they are found more often in the LDS culture.

Just staing the facts that many deans have stated to me. Look in the ADEA book, students from utah are everywhere in the nation, and by the handful.

To refer to another post, I should not even consider these schools anymore, you are right. I will take my nine schools and make one of them my top choice. Thanks for the advice. I was just holding on too long for these schools.:thumbup:

I got to get back to my bizzzzzzzzzznesss..........:laugh:

The whole MoMo land got this started. I am just talking about what was already brought up.

Ever think of it from a business standpoint? Suppose a dean on an east coast school takes 10 students from Utah. At the end of dental school, it is a good possibility that a number of them will try to go back to Utah/nearby states, leaving less around to saturate the market where you went to school. Our class of 90 had 7 people from California at a NY state school. They were all on the first plane back to California after graduation. Seems like most California & LDS dental people I have met in orthodontics desire to go back to where they originally came from, even if they are doing their dental school & specialty training in other parts of the country.

Hey DSmack, how many schools did you apply?

I don't understand why some people on this thread brag about their stats as if a member of the admissions committee was listening. And I didn’t know all it took to be a good dentist was being Mormon....I should have spent less time studying for the DAT and just changed my beliefs. What the ____ am I missing? Humility….maybe your arrogance showed up a little too much in your personal statement.

This guy is a complete *****, not all Mormons are as conceded and rude as him. Obviously, you can't believe all that he's said. Yes there have been many schools recruiting here in Utah for the past three weeks but that doesn't mean they're out here looking for Mormons. Utah puts out the third largest number of dental school applicants in the nation. They use this time to get to know some of the applicants to make it a little easier when going through apps. Anyone, including this guy, who is so sure of themselves, needs a dose of reality. Add coms look at the whole package and choose the applicants that will be the best fit for their program. That's all there is to it. Good luck to everyone!!!! I hope this guy hasn't given us Mormons a bad name. We're not all the same!!

Well said Claydds and mola-pulla. I hope that everyone on this thread doesn't automatically think of Dsmack when they meet a mormon. That can't be good for the religion.

And, tons of Dental Schools come to Utah because there is no Dental School here and tons of applicants. Think about it. A great prospective student has no in-state school that will steal them away so they have the opportunity to get some great applicants out here they know that the will have a better chance of getting the applicants they want.

This guy is a complete *****, not all Mormons are as conceded and rude as him. Obviously, you can't believe all that he's said. Yes there have been many schools recruiting here in Utah for the past three weeks but that doesn't mean they're out here looking for Mormons. Utah puts out the third largest number of dental school applicants in the nation. They use this time to get to know some of the applicants to make it a little easier when going through apps. Anyone, including this guy, who is so sure of themselves, needs a dose of reality. Add coms look at the whole package and choose the applicants that will be the best fit for their program. That's all there is to it. Good luck to everyone!!!! I hope this guy hasn't given us Mormons a bad name. We're not all the same!!

AMEN

this is a VCU & Louisville thread right? So..i never sent an lor from a dentist to VCU, do u guys think i should even bother to send one at this point? do u think it's too late?

Just because I stand up for myself when I am attacked? I wish you had the gall to defend yourself or what you are about. There was no way I was going to take that from KOp. MoMo land is a an insult, and yes I responded. You are a coward and a pushover. Kop is classless for mudslinging out of the blue.

And I am still pissed that VCU and Loiusville haven't given me an invite invitation when they have given others with less that.

yea... i want to know, should i bother with the letter from a dentist still, or is it too late?

yea... i want to know, should i bother with the letter from a dentist still, or is it too late?

are u serious? do we have the same predicament? or are u mocking me for being pathetic and not realizing i need to send one:)

i'm serious. NOWHERE did it say in VCU's info to send a letter from a dentist, so I didn't. Then my application is "incomplete" for weeks. So I call them up and talk to the rudest lady ever who claims I need a letter from a dentist, without backing up here information. So, now I have to bother a dentist for another letter, or just forget this school. I wonder how many other applicants this has happened to.

you know, I read something somewhere. . . cant quite remember, something like turning the other cheek, where was that. . . dsmack could you help me out?

turn the other cheek so I can spank you on it?

not quite. . .

i was wondering about what you need to send in for VCU and about their secondary. my appl has said on aadsas that it's still incomplete but i have no idea what they still need from me. i called and left a voice message but haven't heard back from them yet. here's what i've sent in:
-1 letter science with one more on the way
-1 letter from a dentists
-1 letter from a clergyman
-2"x2" foto
-lots of money

what else do they need? maybe their still waiting for the 2nd science letter...

that should be everything, I've sent in all that but I still don't have anything up on my AADSAS for VCU yet....strange

i was wondering about what you need to send in for VCU and about their secondary. my appl has said on aadsas that it's still incomplete but i have no idea what they still need from me. i called and left a voice message but haven't heard back from them yet. here's what i've sent in:
-1 letter science with one more on the way
-1 letter from a dentists
-1 letter from a clergyman
-2"x2" foto
-lots of money

what else do they need? maybe their still waiting for the 2nd science letter...

was the money in a bag with a dollar sign on it? thats what I did

you know, I read something somewhere. . . cant quite remember, something like turning the other cheek, where was that. . . dsmack could you help me out?

All I can say to you now is please post something informational, or get a real hobby. You don't share anything valuable, please try that in the future.

I opened this thread to talk about what I can do to get an invite form these schools and vent a little. Insults started flying from there. Yes I may have 8-9 interviews but I am anxious to hear from these two schools.

mormon or not I feel like I am a strong candidate, and I will ALWAYS stand up for myself when insulted from someone who doesn't know me. You should too.

Anyway for those that have interviews at Louisville, anybody's DAT score not a 20+?

All I can say to you now is please post something informational, or get a real hobby. You don't share anything valuable, please try that in the future.

I opened this thread to talk about what I can do to get an invite form these schools and vent a little. Insults started flying from there. Yes I may have 8-9 interviews but I am anxious to hear from these two schools.

mormon or not I feel like I am a strong candidate, and I will ALWAYS stand up for myself when insulted from someone who doesn't know me. You should too.

Anyway for those that have interviews at Louisville, anybody's DAT score not a 20+?

Maybe you should realize that you are representing more than just yourself.

I know someone with an interview to Louisville that got an 18 on the DAT, does that answer your question? I think that VCU and Louisville just realized that you are going to get in somewhere because you are a strong applicant, so maybe they thought they'd be better served by saving their interview spots for individuals that will take them up on an acceptance. I don't know if that made any sense but it's my take on your situation. Bottomline, you want to be a dentist and you definitely will with nine interview invites already.

Seriously guys, ease up! If my top schools didn't invite me for interviews and I received many others... I still would be curious as to why I didn't get an interview too, at the schools that I want to attend. I mean, we wouldn't bother to apply if we had zero interest in going to the school, would we? On top of that, an applicant can only hold one seat in dent school. We aren't going to lose out somehow by dddsmack getting another interview or 2. Everyone is stressed out... we need to just take it easy and focus getting into where we want to go! Please. :)