Low cGPA chances of getting in/tips?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lowcgpaguy

Reaction score
Hey guys, applying for the first time this cycle. Had a rough undergraduate career, but managed to pull my overall gpa up a bit through retaking/taking a lot of my prerequisites post grad. Was wondering if I could get some feedback and advice on my chances or tips to improve my application? Currently taking one more Bio class w/lab while applying this cycle. I know I'm not the only one with a low cGPA stressing their minds off, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks again everyone!

UPDATE 9/24

University
: UCSD

Major: Human Development

Overall GPA: 2.65
Pre-req GPA: 3.69-3.75ish (Depending on the school's prereqs)
Last 60 Hours GPA: 3.69
GRE: 154Q 149V 4.5 W

Extracurricular/Awards: Dean's List, 2x Honor's List, Certificate of Recognition from CA State Senate, Certificate of Merits, Certificate of Commendation from City Counsel, Scholastic Achievement Award State of California Assembly, Certificate of Special Congressional Recognition from U.S. House of Representatives, Dan and Poom Certificate from World Taekwondo Headquarters

Volunteer Hours: Inpatient ICU (132), Outpatient (40), Volunteer Hospital Setting (160)

LOR's: (2) PT, (1) Prof's, (1) Volunteer Coordinator from Hospital

Applied: CSU Northridge, University of St. Augustine San Marcos, MGHI of Health Professions, Emory & Henry College, Midwestern University Glendale, Regis University, University of Rhode Island, Touro University Nevada, University of Illinois Chicago, University of North Texas Fort Worth

Interviews: University of St. Augustine San Marcos (9/28)

Acceptances: University of St. Augustine San Marcos (10/4)

Rejections: Midwestern University Glendale, Touro University Nevada

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, applying for the first time this cycle. Had a rough undergraduate career, but managed to pull my overall gpa up a bit through retaking/taking a lot of my prerequisites post grad. Was wondering if I could get some feedback and advice on my chances or tips to improve my application? Currently taking one more Bio class w/lab while applying this cycle. I know I'm not the only one with a low cGPA stressing their minds off, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks again everyone!

University

Extracurricular/Awards: Dean's List, 2x Honor's List, Certificate of Recognition from CA State Senate, Certificate of Merits, Certificate of Commendation from City Counsel, Scholastic Achievement Award State of California Assembly, Certificate of Special Congressional Recognition from U.S. House of Representatives, Dan and Poom Certificate from World Taekwondo Headquarters

Volunteer Hours: Inpatient ICU (132), Outpatient (40), Volunteer Hospital Setting (160)

Applied: CSU Northridge, University of St. Augustine San Marcos, MGHI of Health Professions, Emory & Henry College, Midwestern University Glendale, University of Mary Hardin-Baylor, Creighton University, Regis University, University of Rhode Island

Not to be a downer, but I think the lowest cGPA requirement I have ever seen was a 2.8. It is my understanding that most schools will trash an application if a requirement isn't met off the bat. Some schools have an appeals committee or form you can submit to ask them to consider your file which might be an option. Otherwise just try and take a ton of easy credits to pull your cGPA up for next cycle.

Not to be a downer, but I think the lowest cGPA requirement I have ever seen was a 2.8. It is my understanding that most schools will trash an application if a requirement isn't met off the bat. Some schools have an appeals committee or form you can submit to ask them to consider your file which might be an option. Otherwise just try and take a ton of easy credits to pull your cGPA up for next cycle.
Thanks for the input really appreciate it, and I've thought about taking a ton of easy credits to pull up my cGPA but I have so many credits accumulated already that it would take me another year and a half to reach up to 2.9-3.0 at this point. Trying a different approach to applying where most of the schools I'm focusing on last 60 credits or prereq only. I haven't thought of contacting appeal committees so its definitely an option I'm open to . Thanks MBPB!

Members don't see this ad :)
I graduated UCSD with a 2.603 gpa and got multiple acceptances. Check out my prior posts for more info and tips. Don’t give up. If you want to get into PT, make it a priority in your life. Don’t give up!

Attachments

• A33804EC-CCBA-41F4-923E-F913254EDF31.jpeg
    A33804EC-CCBA-41F4-923E-F913254EDF31.jpeg
    48.4 KB · Views: 150
  • 53970C5B-EB8B-4E1B-9030-EE15D86433F4.jpeg
    53970C5B-EB8B-4E1B-9030-EE15D86433F4.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 149
Reactions: 2 users
I graduated UCSD with a 2.603 gpa and got multiple acceptances. Check out my prior posts for more info and tips. Don’t give up. If you want to get into PT, make it a priority in your life. Don’t give up!
Thank you, your posts have been very helpful in deciding how I approached this application cycle. Definitely not going to give up and hoping for the best!

I am in the same boat as you with the low cGPA. Good luck and keep us updated!

University

Applied: CSU Northridge, University of St. Augustine San Marcos, MGHI of Health Professions, Emory & Henry College, Midwestern University Glendale, University of Mary Hardin-Baylor, Creighton University, Regis University, University of Rhode Island

Have you heard anything back from any schools?

You should try applying to Samuel Merritt. They're changing this cycle to look at the last 60 semester units instead of cumulative GPA. They only look at V and Q (no writing) for the GRE so that might be going against you. But it looks like you have a good upward trend in regards to GPA and a variety of extracurrics and LOR. They don't do interviews anymore, instead, they put all of their questions on their app and you get to answer them.

Hey guys here's an update on my application process:

I got an interview to USA San Marcos on the 9/28 this week.

Pretty much got all of my applications verified by each campus, some took about 3 weeks after I sent them in and some took 1-2 weeks after I sent it in through PTCAS. Since I don't see any dedicated threads to these schools, I'll just list the information I have from the schools I've spoken to. Since most of these schools only look at last 60 credits or your prereq GPAs, I hope this could be of some help for people who are in the same situation as I am and applied solely to these target schools.

Regis University will notify selected applicant's early to mid December for their interview invites, which will be scheduled Feb 1 and Feb 4.

University of North Texas Fort Worth will send interview invites through the end of January, applicants who are not selected will be notified no later than Feb 15th.

Emory & Henry will have scheduled interviews for mid Nov and mid Jan.

University of Illinois Chicago will review applications early December with a decision by Late December. No Interviews.

University of Rhode Island will review applications after their deadline 10/16. Interview dates are Jan 3rd and 4th for those selected.

USA San Marcos currently has an interview date on 9/28 for spring/summer start dates. An October date is also confirmed for summer start date.

Hope this helps people who are worrying about interview invitations.