Low cGPA Hi sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kasianiq99

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to determine which way to go after I graduate this summer. Also, I am an URM with a solid upward trend of 2+ years inc. summers. All pre-reqs are A/Bs.

Major: Cell Biology

AMCAS:
cGPA 2.76
sGPA 3.5

AACOMAS:
cGPA: 3.03
sGPA: 3.6

MCAT: very low and will retake in Aug.

I was told by one admissions counselor at a DO school that an SMP was not necessary for me 'cause they will be impressed by my sci GPA and I've proven that I can handle upper level course work. They advised me to retake MCAT and just apply. This year, I will have a gap yr and wanted to strenghten my application for MD schools (in NY, CT, PA, NJ, MD, VA, & NC) and that's why I was considering doing a SMP. Currently, a GA resident but want to get closer to home (NY) due to add'l support with my baby. BTW, my ECs are average.

Also, I am considering DO SMPs like PCOM and LECOM due to low MCAT. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

For information about DO SMPs, you'd do better to ask your question in the PreMed Osteopathic Forum rather than here in PreMed Allo.

Considering your recent good academic record, if you can get a decent MCAT score, you could get into an SMP or similiar program (some meant specifically for minorities) with linkage to an MD school. If you check the Postbaccalaureate Programs Forum, you'll find a list of all those available and their entrance requirements. If you end up having trouble getting your MCAT high enough, there are Postbac programs that could help you with that too. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=71 (See the first sticky at the very top.)

Regardless of which type of school you aim for, why not use the extra year to beef up your extracurriculars and make them shine, as this is another way to trump poor numbers.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks to all who responded. I'm just conflicted on whether it's worth going in debt of over $20K or just taking the year off, kicking butt on the MCAT and jazzing up the ECs. Especially if my sciGPA and last 90 credits of undergrad are 3.6 which should be able to land me into a DO school anyway w/o the DO SMP.

If you can do well on the MCAT, I don't think you need the SMP for DO schools. I'm not a DO school expert, but it seems to me, with an AACOMAS GPA of 3.03, and an MCAT of maybe 29, you'll have a good chance of an acceptance. What do you think of spending $1600 on an MCAT prep course (Kaplan or Princeton Review)? It would be cheaper than an SMP, by far. How much do you need to raise your score by?

If you can do well on the MCAT, I don't think you need the SMP for DO schools. I'm not a DO school expert, but it seems to me, with an AACOMAS GPA of 3.03, and an MCAT of maybe 29, you'll have a good chance of an acceptance. What do you think of spending $1600 on an MCAT prep course (Kaplan or Princeton Review)? It would be cheaper than an SMP, by far. How much do you need to raise your score by?

I think the sGPA will make up for alot of the cGPA problem...I think a strong 26/27 will do it with good ECs....