Low cGPA, high pGPA.. what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wdtRichard

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Undergrad: College of the Canyons (CC), Cal. State University, Northridge
Major: Kinesiology, exercise science option
ptcas cGPA: 2.87
pre-req GPA: 3.5-3.8 depending on school.
GRE: 148V 157Q, just took it 3 days ago so still waiting on essay score.
Observation hours: 1100 hours paid, 400 hours outpatient volunteer, will be doing in-patient in a few weeks (50-80 hours)

I have 194 units, and I'm currently taking Chem I and Phys II. Will be taking Chem II and retaking a few classes next semester. Which I can guarantee I will be getting an A in all of them, but that will only bump my cGPA to 2.98. I was stupid and careless in my early community college years, but my transcripts show a huge difference between how I was then, and how I've been the past 3 1/2 years.

Anyway, seeing my cGPA was very discouraging.. I worked pretty dang hard to get up to this point, so it would kill me to be anchored down by this one factor. What are my chances to get into a program? Are there even any chances, or should I start looking for another option? What else can I do to solidify my application?

Members don't see this ad.

There's certainly no harm in applying. I've heard that a lot of schools look most heavily at the last 60 hours gpa, and on applications there's a section where you can explain why your grades may be low or any specific circumstances that may have affected you grades. If you can retake the classes and get all A's as well as maintain a solid pre-req GPA, you have a fairly decent shot. Your GRE and shadowing hours are great, so it's not like you're hopeless. I know several people who made it to PT school with below a 3.0, but it's all about making yourself stick out and highlighting what you bring to the table in your application. Good luck!

Contact universities directly if you have a high interest in them and see what they say about your current standing. If necessary, look out of state and investigate schools that might be more likely to accept a lower cumulative GPA. The fact that your pre-req is high is a good thing. Maybe even look into taking the GRE again to get a higher V score or look into colleges that focus on the last 45-60 credit hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
Many schools require a cGPA of 3.0 or more. And some of these schools will even use this GPA as the first thing they use to separate applicants (3.0 higher keep, less than 3.0 decline). I would recommend contacting the schools you would like to apply to, and ask if they are super strict with their cGPA requirements and if your application will even be looked at. Maybe a really close GPA will be overlooked (I've done this with the GRE's, score was really close, but did not meet required score). Or even take some additional classes to get up to a 3.0. Narrowing down your choices to schools that aren't strict will save you some time and money. Good luck

Are you looking to apply next application cycle? (not clear from your post). Sounds like you still have a lot of outstanding pre reqs at this point.

Are you looking to apply next application cycle? (not clear from your post). Sounds like you still have a lot of outstanding pre reqs at this point.

I'm actually applying this cycle. Yea, I'm currently taking Chem I and Phys II, and taking Chem II in Winter or Spring semester. Those are the only classes I have left.

So the issue is you have 3 outstanding pre reqs at this time. Make sure every school you apply to is ok with that (yes they are still outstanding because you haven't finished them). If schools make interview decisions in the fall, they can't "count" those classes. I think these classes you have left coupled with your GPA may hold you back. But, I think you can have a strong shot for next year's cycle if you nail all the pre reqs with As and take a few extra classes to hit the 3.0 mark (I took random online classes to bump my cumulative to 3.0)

Reactions: 1 user
So the issue is you have 3 outstanding pre reqs at this time. Make sure every school you apply to is ok with that (yes they are still outstanding because you haven't finished them). If schools make interview decisions in the fall, they can't "count" those classes. I think these classes you have left coupled with your GPA may hold you back. But, I think you can have a strong shot for next year's cycle if you nail all the pre reqs with As and take a few extra classes to hit the 3.0 mark (I took random online classes to bump my cumulative to 3.0)

I understand that. I will be applying to a couple of schools regardless, ptcas and non ptcas. Sadly, a few extra classes will barely do anything to change my cGPA, considering I'm at 190+ units. One thing I'm worried about is that I might have some prerequisites 'expire' for the next application cycle. Anyway, thank you for the advice.

I understand that. I will be applying to a couple of schools regardless, ptcas and non ptcas. Sadly, a few extra classes will barely do anything to change my cGPA, considering I'm at 190+ units. One thing I'm worried about is that I might have some prerequisites 'expire' for the next application cycle. Anyway, thank you for the advice.

You say your pre reqs will get you to 2.98 if this is true then it is worth taking more classes for that 3.0. Its not a huge difference but a 2.999999 will mean a lot of schools throw out your app automatically without looking at it while a 3.000000001 can get you in the door

Even if you have some pre-reqs "expire," you can always contact the school and see if they will take them IF you are actually working in the PT field. I've been a tech and working front desk for PT clinics and schools will usually let you know if they will still take those pre-reqs even if they are over the time limit given for pre-req classes.