Low COMLEX score, what should I do for match? ACGME or AOA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrDreams

Attending Physician
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I unfortunately scored a XXX on my COMLEX, which is done and there is nothing I can do about it. But with this transition, should I go ACGME match since so many programs have already transitioned? I looked in the ERAS application, and there are only 2 pages worth of programs via AOA, but 6+ pages via ACGME. So I am not sure what I should do.

Second thing is, if I do an AOA residency, considering AOA accreditation will be gone, can I take my IM boards with ABIM rather than AOBIM?

Thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Second thing is, if I do an AOA residency, considering AOA accreditation will be gone, can I take my IM boards with ABIM rather than AOBIM?

Some programs may have chosen to remain in the AOA match despite receiving ACGME accreditation. In these programs you'd be eligible for both boards, and this would also be your best choice of program since there's no risk of them not getting accreditation. If you do an AOA residency that then gets full ACGME accreditation while you're in first year (which will be all the programs that aren't going to close), you'll also be able to take AOBIM or ABIM.

If your program fails or doesn't attempt to get ACGME accreditation, it will remain open until all the residents graduate and then it will close, and you will only be eligible for the osteopathic boards.

Reactions: 2 users
Some programs may have chosen to remain in the AOA match despite receiving ACGME accreditation. In these programs you'd be eligible for both boards, and this would also be your best choice of program since there's no risk of them not getting accreditation. If you do an AOA residency that then gets full ACGME accreditation while you're in first year (which will be all the programs that aren't going to close), you'll also be able to take AOBIM or ABIM.

If your program fails or doesn't attempt to get ACGME accreditation, it will remain open until all the residents graduate and then it will close, and you will only be eligible for the osteopathic boards.
That makes sense, thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad :)
No problem. If you look at the opportunities.osteopathic.org site (where it shows the accreditation status of all the programs), like 90% of the AOA IM programs already have ACGME accreditation anyway so hopefully it won't be an issue.

Reactions: 1 user
No problem. If you look at the opportunities.osteopathic.org site (where it shows the accreditation status of all the programs), like 90% of the AOA IM programs already have ACGME accreditation anyway so hopefully it won't be an issue.
I saw so many programs on that website, but when I went into ERAS it was not nearly the same number under AOA residencies. I registered for NMS, but if I have a shot with NRMP, im going to stick with NRMP because I really do not want to do OMT on the boards.

I think you can match into ACGME community IM, but it won't be in a major city or suburb...

Agree with W 19 above, 450 is far from a killer for IM. Yeah you won't be going to Mayo Clinic, but you can match respectability still

There are also plenty of uncompetitive ACGME and AOA programs in the NYC/Philly area if being in or near a city is very important to you. Some of them (NYC ones especially) are truly malignant programs though, so be warned.

There are also plenty of uncompetitive ACGME and AOA programs in the NYC/Philly area if being in or near a city is very important to you. Some of them (NYC ones especially) are truly malignant programs though, so be warned.

Name and shame!

There are couple university programs in NYC that are malignant as well...
Yeah but malignant w strong fellowship prospects is very different to malignant w no fellowship prospects. If you put up with the BS from Columbia or Cornell it pays off in the end, whereas if you’re at some ****ty HHC based IM residency you ain’t going nowhere.

does anyone have examples of what type of IM residencies they can go for if they get scores like op's?

Community-based in less popular geographic locations.

Reputable IM residencies in NYC, Boston, LA, SF, Chicago and DC have their pick of applicants, meanwhile smaller community programs in less well known cities will be more likely to give OP a shot because they can't afford to be as picky.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are couple university programs in NYC that are malignant as well...

A fairly reliable source tells me that virtually all community IM programs in NYC are capital-M malignant, with hours and policies that make “House of God” look tame. Ever been to an NYC hospital? They’re zoos. Absolute chaos. As one of my mentors said “NYC H+H didn’t invent physician burunout, but they did perfect it.”

Hey guys I was hoping for some feedback. I got a 525 on comlex 1. I’m in the C/O 2020. Do you guys think I have a shot at any university or mid tier programs with no usmle? I’m mostly interested in IM PC. I’m still considering taking the usmle, but just wondering what my options are in case I don’t take it (rotations are keeping me busy)

Honestly no. Most likely you don't without having Step 1 and just an average COMLEX. You can match, but it probably won't be at a university program. With that being said, if you want to do primary care, which I'm assuming you meant outpatient then you'll be well trained enough anywhere to do it.

Thanks for the response. So do you think I have a decent shot at matching at a community IM program (preferably in the midwest region) even with the merger?
You shouldn't blindly listen to people on SDN. What you should do is reach out to your school. For example, my school has a document of where everyone matched each specialty and what scores they had. You should then reach out to people from your program at your target residency. Hell, even reach out to any DO and ask "can you help an osteo brotha out?" You should be doing 4 or so auditions. I would do one that's "safety," 2 that are plausible university and one that is a little bit harder to match (but not something impossible like Mayo). Then when the time comes, you will see what offers you an interview and you go from there. I know people with nearly identical scores that got interviews at completely different places. This is not a robot running the show. It's people, and people are can be convinced to overlook scores (to a reasonable extent).

Reactions: 3 users
Honestly no. Most likely you don't without having Step 1 and just an average COMLEX. You can match, but it probably won't be at a university program. With that being said, if you want to do primary care, which I'm assuming you meant outpatient then you'll be well trained enough anywhere to do it.
Lol what he can get smaller university programs w a 525. He’s not restricted to community. Lmao. People with 500 plus land university all the time here in the south. No usmle. May not get the best school in the state but other state schools are an easy shot if no red flags and good level 2.

Reactions: 5 users
Hey guys I was hoping for some feedback. I got a 525 on comlex 1. I’m in the C/O 2020. Do you guys think I have a shot at any university or mid tier programs with no usmle? I’m mostly interested in IM PC. I’m still considering taking the usmle, but just wondering what my options are in case I don’t take it (rotations are keeping me busy)

A shot? Yes. But that shot may be around 50/50. The lack of USMLE will hurt your chances with any university program, but will not be the kiss of death. You will definitely get some low-tier university interviews but should make sure you apply to enough community programs. You'll definitely get plenty of interviews if you apply broadly enough.

Are aways for IM actually required?

Are aways for IM actually required?
This is an "it depends" question. For MD students absolutely not and they might hurt them to do them. DO students need them in most fields to get letters because we have absolutely **** or non-existent home programs (no letters and no real training) and because we have to actually prove ourselves even if our stats are good due to stigma. That said, I'm not interested in IM, but to just match, you don't have to do any special aways or anything like for competitive specialties. That said, they do allow students to punch above their weight at reach programs. You don't need aways (if you have letters) to match non-academic IM or FM though. That's safe to say I think.

A shot? Yes. But that shot may be around 50/50. The lack of USMLE will hurt your chances with any university program, but will not be the kiss of death. You will definitely get some low-tier university interviews but should make sure you apply to enough community programs. You'll definitely get plenty of interviews if you apply broadly enough.
Probably much higher than 50/50. Per charting outcomes of the 50/51 DOs that match ACGMe IM with a 500-549 COMLEX and no step score (98% match rate). Not sure how many of community vs university tho.

Hell, that match rate for DOs who applied ACGME IM with a SUB-500 COMLEX and NO step score was still 80% between the years 2016-2018 (sample size of 141).

Probably much higher than 50/50. Per charting outcomes of the 50/51 DOs that match ACGMe IM with a 500-549 COMLEX and no step score (98% match rate). Not sure how many of community vs university tho.

Hell, that match rate for DOs who applied ACGME IM with a SUB-500 COMLEX and NO step score was still 80% between the years 2016-2018 (sample size of 141).

They were asking chances at a uni spot, not IM in general. They'll definitely match, but no better than 50/50 for a uni spot.

They were asking chances at a uni spot, not IM in general. They'll definitely match, but no better than 50/50 for a uni spot.
Sure it’s funna be harder for uni but youre saying 50/50 without any data. My roommate matched uni IM last year with a 40th%ile COMLEX, 3 preclinical failures, and was generally described as an unpleasant person to be around lol. I was shocked that this person even matched let alone got 12+ interviews and matched uni

Sure it’s funna be harder for uni but youre saying 50/50 without any data. My roommate matched uni IM last year with a 40th%ile COMLEX, 3 preclinical failures, and was generally described as an unpleasant person to be around lol. I was shocked that this person even matched let alone got 12+ interviews and matched uni

Well of course I have no data, none are available. And your friend provides anectodotal evidence, something equally as useless as my data-less opinion lol. Of course it's possible, but odds are stacked against