Low comlex, take Step 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Back 5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey folks. I did poorly on my lvl 1, didn't take step 1 as my school advisors told me not to. I'm interested in FM, do I take Step 2 with my level 2? Will that make a difference in regards to my lower performance on level 1?

Trying to formulate how I approach my study time during 3rd year.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Comlex = level USMLE = step

Members don't see this ad :)
What does that mean level 1, level 2, vs Step I, Step II? You should take step I at the end of 2nd year. So confused.

Ahem, allow me to assist ---

D.O.'s -- COMLEX Level 1, Level 2, PE, Level 3 in that order to be a licensed doc.

M.D.'s -- USMLE Step 1, Step2, (plus their version of the PE), Step 3 to be a licensed doc.

The USMLE is usually a better written exam with less "Can I buy a vowel, Pat?" type of questions.

O.P. --- unless you're sure you're gonna spank Step2, I wouldn't. You really don't need it as most FM programs are well versed in what COMLEX scores mean. Now, if you're even remotely considering something other than FM that may be allopathic -- do it up and take it....but do it well.

Ahem, allow me to assist ---

D.O.'s -- COMLEX Level 1, Level 2, PE, Level 3 in that order to be a licensed doc.

M.D.'s -- USMLE Step 1, Step2, (plus their version of the PE), Step 3 to be a licensed doc.

The USMLE is usually a better written exam with less "Can I buy a vowel, Pat?" type of questions.

O.P. --- unless you're sure you're gonna spank Step2, I wouldn't. You really don't need it as most FM programs are well versed in what COMLEX scores mean. Now, if you're even remotely considering something other than FM that may be allopathic -- do it up and take it....but do it well.
seriously? I called COMLEX Step I, Step II. F*****ing SDN always over complicating the stupid.

Thank you sir. Doing well on level 2 would not open anymore doors for me vs doing well on level 2 and step 2 in regards to FM?

I think I'm pretty set on FM as I don't want to spend more time in residency than I need to. I can't imagine being 55-60 and working a 12 hour overnight shift as EM, or taking overnight call as IM, Surgery etc. I loved working with my hands and being in the OR, but the surgeons on my rotation convinced me not to do it.

My future family life is more important to me than I realized.

seriously? I called COMLEX Step I, Step II. F*****ing SDN always over complicating the stupid.

Oh, c'mon -- this is the AOA -- simple solutions to complex problems are simply not tolerated -- it tends to lower their opinion of themselves -- the PE is a "me too" exam just like the COMLEX is supposed to demonstrate the "osteopathic" difference. You know the drill....

Oh, c'mon -- this is the AOA -- simple solutions to complex problems are simply not tolerated -- it tends to lower their opinion of themselves -- the PE is a "me too" exam just like the COMLEX is supposed to demonstrate the "osteopathic" difference. You know the drill....
Yes, dear. Always clarifying the mundane. You are genuinely gifted in that regard.