Low DAT but high GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imn0tokei

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the chances that I will get in to dental schools? I have a 3.82 GPA and my DAT scores are as follows:

BIO: 17
GC: 19
OC: 20
PAT: 19
RC :17
QR: 14
TS: 19
AA: 17

Should I retake the DAT even though I'll be able to retake it in October? I already applied to some schools and one of those is Midwestern in IL.

Members don't see this ad.

Higher DAT score will definitely help, so why not!

Reactions: 1 user
kind of sad to waste 3 years maintaining a high gpa only to end up at an expensive school that you could've gotten into with much less effort. those DAT scores are suspiciously low. the dat is an easy test compared to the BS in dental school. all you need to do is sit, memorize, and regurgitate. there's very little problem solving involved in the DAT. Anyone can put in the time and get at least a 20 across the board. You can get into much better schools and possibly save several hundred thousand dollars. Is a couple weeks of studying worth >2 years of wages? I think so.

i'd also rather become a physician than rack up $400,000 by going to Midwestern.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
kind of sad to waste 3 years maintaining a high gpa only to end up at an expensive school that you could've gotten into with much less effort. those DAT scores are suspiciously low. the dat is an easy test compared to the BS in dental school. all you need to do is sit, memorize, and regurgitate. there's very little problem solving involved in the DAT. Anyone can put in the time and get at least a 20 across the board. You can get into much better schools and possibly save several hundred thousand dollars. Is a couple weeks of studying worth >2 years of wages? I think so.

i'd also rather become a physician than rack up $400,000 by going to Midwestern.

I ended up wasting my time studying things that I shouldn't have for the DAT and was unprepared when I took it. I also knew that pushing back the date wasn't ideal because my summer classes started days after my DAT testing date.

But, thank you for your input, it makes so much sense. I guess the question then is, will it be too late if I retake it in October?
If it is too late to retake it, I guess a gap year doesn't sound bad, to think that I'll be able to get into public school, rather than pay thousands of dollars to Midwestern....