Low DAT success?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nole44

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what is the lowest DAT anyone has heard of gaining admission to dental school?

Members don't see this ad.

If your old man has donated millions of dollars to the school your dat score won't matter.

On the flip side, one of the historically black schools admitted a black applicant with a 14AA....

lol too bad my father hasnt....wow a 14? I have an 18AA but QR is 15.....makes me wonder if ppl with similar or lowers scores have been admitted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Gpa and DAT scores by themselves do not tell the entire story. An enrollee with a score of 12 that took a full load of courses and worked full time might be a better bet than an applicant with average/above average scores that was coasting through college with 9 hours/semester and no job.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=527690

Last edited:
what is the lowest DAT anyone has heard of gaining admission to dental school?

I saw USC's accepted student info. Someone got in last cycle with a 15AA so I guess that's the lowest stat I've seen

I saw USC's accepted student info. Someone got in last cycle with a 15AA so I guess that's the lowest stat I've seen
It's one thing to get into dental school. It's another to complete it successfully. I think if you get a 15AA, this should be a red flag to you to: 1) Learn how to study properly, 2) Spend more time studying, or 3) Consider another profession.

I'm sure there was something else going on with this 15AA. There have to be more qualified minority applicants. Some dental schools are getting 4000+ applicants a year. In this case, I would go as far to presume this person's father is on the enrollment committee, or teaches at the school. Perhaps, as someone else suggested, this student's parents donated millions to the school.

However, I can also almost understand, because how else does a school have an average DAT of 18.xx or 19.xx. There are applicants with 25+ so in order for that average to be so low something must be bringing it down.

Thoughts?

I do not know why people believe that being a minority is a free ticket in..

I know of quite a few minorities who would give a lot of you guys a run for their money... in terms of intelligence.

So stop the hate.. and just do your best =) :thumbup:

Being a minority myself, I understand that low there is a misconception when it comes to admission. I cant do anything about that but try to buck the trend with my stats and hope for the best.

I do not know why people believe that being a minority is a free ticket in..

I know of quite a few minorities who would give a lot of you guys a run for their money... in terms of intelligence.

So stop the hate.. and just do your best =) :thumbup:

Can't speak for others, but I'm not under the impression that they're given a "free ticket" it's just that they do seem to get in with lower stats.

Take Howard and Meharry, mean AA of 17 and 16 is pathetic. In addition to the historically black colleges, if you were to look at the overall statistics of minority applicants accepted elsewhere, you will definitely see a trend reflecting lowered expectations. I don't see how negative misconceptions of minority applicants (blacks specifically since they seem to be at the bottom in terms of numbers) are going to go away until the bar is raised.

But again, it's by no means a free ticket. I think the term "free ticket" is more applicable to legacy applicants.

Last edited:
to the OP (or anyone, really): If you did poorly on the DAT and have the time/money to retake, you should retake. It's a large part of your application and probably the part that takes the least time to manipulate.

Definitely easy to spend 2 months studying and taking the DAT than a year improving your ECs with research or several years in a program to boost your gpa.

I'm sure there was something else going on with this 15AA. There have to be more qualified minority applicants. Some dental schools are getting 4000+ applicants a year. In this case, I would go as far to presume this person's father is on the enrollment committee, or teaches at the school. Perhaps, as someone else suggested, this student's parents donated millions to the school.

However, I can also almost understand, because how else does a school have an average DAT of 18.xx or 19.xx. There are applicants with 25+ so in order for that average to be so low something must be bringing it down.

Thoughts?

I thought the same thing but at the same time these applicants must have HIGH gpa's and crazy shadowing/volunteer hours.

As for being a legacy, my father went to creighton and has been an active alumni. Never the less, i got waitlisted there last year. guess he should have given more money over the years!

Can't speak for others, but I'm not under the impression that they're given a "free ticket" it's just that they do seem to get in with lower stats.

Take Howard and Meharry, mean AA of 17 and 16 is pathetic. In addition to the historically black colleges, if you were to look at the overall statistics of minority applicants accepted elsewhere, you will definitely see a trend reflecting lowered expectations. I don't see how negative misconceptions of minority applicants (blacks specifically since they seem to be at the bottom in terms of numbers) are going to go away until the bar is raised.

But again, it's by no means a free ticket. I think the term "free ticket" is more applicable to legacy applicants.

I do agree that AA 17 is pretty bad but you must understand that not every person with a AA25 is going to be a great dentist. Yes they will breeze through dental school in terms of intellectual basics but most of the time (and this is purely generalized) they are horrible in clinic. After watching some hot shots at a free dental clinic I am pretty shocked at their lack of care. Now on the same token there will be AA25 who will be great dentist and I commend them for that.

Meharry and Howard are such a small population if you look at everyone matriculating.

Gpa and DAT scores by themselves do not tell the entire story. An enrollee with a score of 12 that took a full load of courses and worked full time might be a better bet than an applicant with average/above average scores that was coasting through college with 9 hours/semester and no job.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=527690

And how much does that count when schools make a decision? I thought schools don't "care" about your personal life that *much* to accept you because you had to work, take classes and take care of a family......my grades have "suffered" in the past because I have a family to take care of...I never thought that schools consider that :(