Low GPA Chances?

Discussion in 'Pre-Optometry' started by cavsfan168, Dec 22, 2016.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. cavsfan168

cavsfan168

Dec 21, 2016
    Hi guys so currently I am junior in college. I finished my first semester of my junior year and I am sitting at a 2.859 GPA. I haven't taken the OATs yet. I plan on taking them June. Are my chances ruined with my low gpa? If I get a 4.0 this spring semester then ill be at a 3.04 gpa. Will I be competitive enough with that gpa. I know it depends on my OATs. Should I still apply for optometry school during my senior when applications ope up ? o is it best to increase my gpa, finish senior year, and take a year off?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Lovebeds

Lovebeds 5+ Year Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Hi there. Super senior here. I have a GPA relatively close to what you have due to many mistakes I made in academics/life. I honestly don't think your chances are "ruined." If you view the stats of individual optometry schools, there are people hitting 2.8's and getting in - few, I imagine, but it's still possible. Good luck on your OAT and aim high.

4. Hey! I was in a similiar position back when I graduated from undergrad in 2013. I am currently a first year in OD school. If you want you can DM me and I can give you some advice or how I got in!

5. jonizzy

jonizzy

Dec 21, 2016
    I was accepted to several places with around a 2.9 GPA. I had excellent extracurriculars and experience in the field and did extremely well on the OAT. I suggest getting a lot of shadowing experience and kill the OAT! 3.04 is not too low. Just make sure every area is as strong as you can make it (Personal statement, LORs, OAT etc) and you'll be accepted. Good luck!