Low GPA, good MCAT What're my chances? school list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Isc1998

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am currently a junior, debating whether I should be applying to medical schools this coming cycle or not. Should I also apply DO this cycle?

My cGPA is a 3.69 and sGPA is a 3.58 (estimated with grades from this semester)

With the sGPA, I got a C+ in organic 1, and a B in organic 2, as well as B's in physics. I recovered a bit with some A/B+'s in upper level biology courses last semester and should get A's this semester in my sciences.

According to practice FL's- I am hoping for around a 512-515.

EC's:
Research:1300+ hours with 1 pub, maybe one more (second author on both), and two poster presentations.
Service: 200 hours clinical hospital volunteering (doing more this semester)
100 hours non-clinical over the span of one year serving disabled
Shadowing: Should have around 20 of family medicine
10 hours- nephrologist
15 hours ER physician
10 hours- ICU physician
Also 4 months/400 hours as a pharmacy tech

Members don't see this ad.

When are you taking the MCAT ? Post your score here when available and we can give you recommendations as to where to apply.

When are you taking the MCAT ? Post your score here when available and we can give you recommendations as to where to apply.

Planning to take the mcat June 28. I was planning on taking it earlier, but had to push it back a semester due to personal issues.

I guess my big question is: should I apply this cycle, or wait another year to try and raise my gpa a bit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Planning to take the mcat June 28. I was planning on taking it earlier, but had to push it back a semester due to personal issues.

I guess my big question is: should I apply this cycle, or wait another year to try and raise my gpa a bit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Your GPA is fine for some MD schools. It all depends on your MCAT and you will not know your score until late July. Once you know your actual score you will be able to make a decision then. Have your application complete and ready to submit in July if you happen to score high.

Let's say you have a 3.69 cGPA, a 3.58 sGPA, and a 514 MCAT. That's competitive for most MD schools except the top 20; you don't need to apply DO unless you want to. If you took a gap year and got an upward trend going senior year, that would help even more. Best of luck!