Low GPA Graduate Engineer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shield349

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an Engineer, currently 27 with a BS with a 3.18 GPA and MS with a 3.45 GPA hoping to get into medical school. Don't have an MCAT score yet but will post it as soon as I do, which should be in a week, I don't expect a good grade. I am already studying for retaking it. I am U.R. with almost 3 years experience working in medical Device Manufacturing with some military experience, currently volunteering, trying to get at least 100 hours.

Preferably I will manage to get into the military medical program.

Anyway, posting this trying to get some feedback on my chances, let me know what you think of my dire circumstances. Also sharing one own experience I think could be a good way to motivate others.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you taken the all the pre-reqs? If so, how did you do in those classes?

Have you shadowed physicians? In different capacities?

Have you taken the all the pre-reqs? If so, how did you do in those classes?

Have you shadowed physicians? In different capacities?

I have all the pre-req, except for one semester of Bio which i am taking right now and Psychology... which i am not sure is actually pre-req. yet. I got As and Bs for all my pre-req. except for Orgo II... my nemesis. Most of my bad grade come from my poor grades in Calc I, II, III, Diff. Equ. and Linear Algebra... Got a C on all of them...

I have yet to shadow a doctor. How critical is it as a requirement?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Shadowing doctors is critical. I don't know how many schools will consider you a viable candidate without it, especially given your GPA.

A HIGH GPA (4.0) does not mean acceptance either especially if there is no shadowing or volunteering.

To me, I would focus on getting A's in what you currently have; retaking Orgo II if less than a C; take higher level bio/biochem classes; then nail the MCAT (510+) and go from there.

In the meantime, find physicians to shadow and keep volunteering. If you're thinking of applying June 1, 2016, I think you'd be shooting yourself in the foot. A few years out is probably more reasonable and quite possibly puts you into the reinventionist type groups.

Thanks for the advice.

How do you even get to shadow a physician... Can you just go and say politely: "Can I shadow you?"

One more question. Why wait until a few extra years? I graduated with my MS Since January 2012. Isn't that enough time? I did Engineering work between then and a few months ago.

Not really "waiting", you'd be working hard to:
1. bring up your GPA (your graduate GPA does not factor, so you'd be applying with a 3.18)
2. study MCAT
3. getting more clinical and/or volunteer experience

you mentioned that you are UR, so lower stats might not prevent you from getting in, but if you can do something in the meantime to increase your chances, might as well do that instead of just waiting for an acceptance to drop in your lap.

If you are AA, according to https://www.aamc.org/download/321514/data/factstable25-2.pdf, 75% of people with similar GPA (3.18) were acceptance if they also scored 30-32 on the MCAT (eq. to ~510+ on the new).

One more question. Why wait until a few extra years? I graduated with my MS Since January 2012. Isn't that enough time? I did Engineering work between then and a few months ago.

Reactions: 1 user
I found shadowing opportunities through networking:

1) joined ACHE (which required I have clinical business experience and have that)
2) asked my dad's physician :)
3) was at a horse ranch for disable people and asked there
4) went to a different horse ranch for rescued horses and met one there
5) went to the homeless shelter and met one there
6) dated one for a long time :p (he's a total d-bag BUT I am beyond grateful for everything he did to help me get to where I'm at; always looking at the bright side)
7) at a great dane meeting (I show great danes), I met a woman whose BFF is married to a doctor at a very large medical institution/hospital and shadowed him
8) volunteered at Ronald McDonald house serving dinner to the families and met one there
9) networked, networked, networked
10) at work (I'm a consultant for ...) my friend's family are all doctors: so next up are an anesthesiologist, pulmonologist, oncologist and a radiologist

+200 hours and growing

I found shadowing opportunities through networking:

1) joined ACHE (which required I have clinical business experience and have that)
2) asked my dad's physician :)
3) was at a horse ranch for disable people and asked there
4) went to a different horse ranch for rescued horses and met one there
5) went to the homeless shelter and met one there
6) dated one for a long time :p (he's a total d-bag BUT I am beyond grateful for everything he did to help me get to where I'm at; always looking at the bright side)
7) at a great dane meeting (I show great danes), I met a woman whose BFF is married to a doctor at a very large medical institution/hospital and shadowed him
8) volunteered at Ronald McDonald house serving dinner to the families and met one there
9) networked, networked, networked
10) at work (I'm a consultant for ...) my friend's family are all doctors: so next up are an anesthesiologist, pulmonologist, oncologist and a radiologist

+200 hours and growing

Nice... looks like I have a lot of networking to do. I will start at the hospital I volunteer at... it's my only bet really.

Reactions: 1 user
Not really "waiting", you'd be working hard to:
1. bring up your GPA (your graduate GPA does not factor, so you'd be applying with a 3.18)
2. study MCAT
3. getting more clinical and/or volunteer experience

you mentioned that you are UR, so lower stats might not prevent you from getting in, but if you can do something in the meantime to increase your chances, might as well do that instead of just waiting for an acceptance to drop in your lap.

If you are AA, according to https://www.aamc.org/download/321514/data/factstable25-2.pdf, 75% of people with similar GPA (3.18) were acceptance if they also scored 30-32 on the MCAT (eq. to ~510+ on the new).

Didn't literally mean "waiting". Just financially I can't spend over a year without decent income.

Didn't literally mean "waiting". Just financially I can't spend over a year without decent income.

I work full time, 45+ typically; attend school for my 1 class (genetics), shadow on Mondays, volunteer on Saturdays, and study every other free moment for the MCAT.

It's all in how bad you want to do this :) Oh... and not-so-humble-brag ;) - I'm 50.