low GPA, high MCAT options, please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spartan11511

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am currently a senior at Michigan State University majoring in Microbiology & Genomics and molecular genetics.
I have a terrible undergraduate GPA: 2.704
Science GPA: 2.24

I want people to know that I was no means lazy or put myself on a pathway to failure, in my three years at MSU I have dealt with alot of family problems, deaths, and illness all bringing together a load of problems on my shoulders and preventing me from doing my best. Regardless, I know that excuse will not get me anywhere, nor will i make me a better person. But, what I do ask people is to understand my situation. In high school I was very diligent, yet none of these problems came upon me. My freshman year of undergrad was the worst and that summer too followed by my fall semester of sophomore year. There my GPA went too far below to recover. Now I have been doing alot better in my courses. I have found motivation through my parents who have kept me going this far. My friends and my girlfriend of two years has also helped me in these last couple months. My GPA went from a 1.97 to a 2.56. But, in my current situation my GPA won't go up as much since I have taken so many credits.

This past summer I decided that I can only help myself and I can take on the MCAT monster, and so I did and ended up with a score that I could of never of imagined.
I received a 41 (15 BS, 13PS, 13 VR). This was a HUGE motivational bump for me.

Now, i've been reading on alot on my case (low GPA, high MCAT)
I planned on taking 2 years off, in those two years I want to redeem myself and show that I can be seen as a diligent, committed and caring physician. More importantly a good person.

My options are:

1) Enroll in the 1-1.5 year MPH program at MSU
2) Enroll in a SMP

My questions are, if I complete one of these programs successfully (4.0GPA) will MD schools consider me? or DO?
Also, which one is looked upon better?
I really like the MPH programs ( I enjoy learning about epidemiology and global health)
but what does the SMP program consist and where can I find them and what are their requirements? How long is it? What courses would i take.
I can't retake any of the courses I failed so far because MSU has a policy that you can only repeat up to 20 credits and I already have reached that mark.
Is there any other options for me to consider, I want to stay in the US for medical school too.
I would also use those two years to build up on my extracurriculars (already have some).
Please help! Any thoughts or pointers will be greatly appreciated. :)

Members don't see this ad.

You will indeed be looked upon favorably if you complete one of these programs. DO will be more favorable as repeating any bad grade classes will erase the lower grades.

My options are:

1) Enroll in the 1-1.5 year MPH program at MSU
2) Enroll in a SMP

My questions are, if I complete one of these programs successfully (4.0GPA) will MD schools consider me? or DO?

I prefer SMPs, because I don't see MPH programs as being as rigorous as programs that offer the same types of classes as seen in medical school.

Also, which one is looked upon better?

Do a little research. google is your friend.

I really like the MPH programs ( I enjoy learning about epidemiology and global health)
but what does the SMP program consist and where can I find them and what are their requirements? How long is it? What courses would i take.

You can retake them at a different school. Orgo is orgo; physics is physics.

I can't retake any of the courses I failed so far because MSU has a policy that you can only repeat up to 20 credits and I already have reached that mark.

should have done the gpa repair before the mcat because the test score can expire.

For MD, an SMP is your only hope. For DO, just do 1 year of retaking a bunch of science courses you did poorly in and you will get into any school.

It's unfortunate because, clearly, you are very smart but you are being held back because a series of unfortunate events.

My GPA took a huge hit as well from family illness/death, I don't have a 41 but my MCAT is pretty good with a great app and I am getting no love from any MD schools. All DO seem to like me though after I retook some courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
It could depend on your school and who you're applying to. Some colleges and admissions will average GPA's from your original grade and the grade you got in the class that you retook.
It sounds like SMP's have the upper hand vs the MPH's

Thanks everyone for the responses!!!!!

So I have a couple of followup questions:
What are some good SMP programs?
How long do they typically take?
What courses would I have to take ( like do I need to purely retake the courses I did bad in?)
So once I complete the SMP program (let's say i get a 4.0) which GPA do medical schools see first, or value/rank in terms of admission? My undergrad GPA or the SMP GPA? Or do they average the two? Will MD programs consider me, good ones? I'm not sure, but it's worth a try.

Last edited:
That is an extreme lowGPA highMCAT split. You could be a good candidate for SMP programs that guarantee med school admission upon adequate completion of the SMP program.

Btw, how did you study for the mcat?

My school has a good one. Do fine and it's an guaranteed interview, and pretty much a guaranted accept. However, I've seen people from Drexel and PCOM, to name two, and they've done fine in my program. There are lots out there.

What are some good SMP programs?

Ideally, 1 year.
How long do they typically take?

Retake anything where you got a C/D/F in your pre-recs, and you should add anatomy. physiology, biochem, micro, cell bio and/or genetics. You need to prove to us you can handle a medical school course load.

What courses would I have to take ( like do I need to purely retake the courses I did bad in?)

When I see an AACOMAS application, it shows uGPA and gradGPA, as well as cGPA, both science and non-science. It depends upon the school as to what gets the highest priority. You're going to have to do your homework here. Ours places an emphasis on the cGPA, but the post-bac GPA is also looked at favorably. MD programs will look at you; I've seen it done from posts here on SDN, but it will depend upon the school, and I don't know which ones are more favorable to successful post-bac candidates. One thing for sure: if you do your SMP in a program that allied to an meds school, that will be a very big "in" for you, as the faculty will know you.

So once I complete the SMP program (let's say i get a 4.0) which GPA do medical schools see first, or value/rank in terms of admission?

My undergrad GPA or the SMP GPA? Or do they average the two? Will MD programs consider me, good ones? I'm not sure, but it's worth a try.

That is an extreme lowGPA highMCAT split. You could be a good candidate for SMP programs that guarantee med school admission upon adequate completion of the SMP program.

Btw, how did you study for the mcat?

Hi everyone, thanks for answering my questions!
pre med 2014: I studied for the MCAT over the period of 5.5 months. 3-4 days a week I would put in 2-2.5 hours a day. It sounds bad, but once you get into the routine it works just fine. (plus I was taking really easy classes then too).
I would review practice books (Princeton review is my favorite followed by examcrackers).
Every morning I would do 10 reading passages (timed) from various sections (VR, PS. BS) and then correct them later in the day.
I would take 1 practice exam a week on the material I learned from that respective week and then 3 months till the test date I would take 2 practice exams a week. (long and tiring, but so worth it).
When I walked out of the real MCAT I felt I would be blessed if I scored a 30 or 32, but I guess practice goes a long way, so never underestimate the power of practice exams. Hope that helps!

My school has a good one. Do fine and it's an guaranteed interview, and pretty much a guaranted accept. However, I've seen people from Drexel and PCOM, to name two, and they've done fine in my program. There are lots out there.

When I see an AACOMAS application, it shows uGPA and gradGPA, as well as cGPA, both science and non-science. It depends upon the school as to what gets the highest priority. You're going to have to do your homework here. Ours places an emphasis on the cGPA, but the post-bac GPA is also looked at favorably. MD programs will look at you; I've seen it done from posts here on SDN, but it will depend upon the school, and I don't know which ones are more favorable to successful post-bac candidates. One thing for sure: if you do your SMP in a program that allied to an meds school, that will be a very big "in" for you, as the faculty will know you.

So once I complete the SMP program (let's say i get a 4.0) which GPA do medical schools see first, or value/rank in terms of admission?

Hey Goro! Thanks for the advice!
Might I ask which SMP program do you attend?
Also I see some SMP programs have information as in they have no set GPA but they see most successful candidates have approx 3.0 cumulative GPA and a 30 MCAT, would I get some consideration, since they also value the interview, personal statement, recommendations. Would they have a huge emphasis on my GPA?

Also to my second question about SMP GPA vs. uGRAD GPA.
Where can I find information on what schools find in higher priority (uGRAD or SMP GPA). I can't find it on several medical school websites ( I know they specifically won't spell it out lol), but is there somewhere specific I could find that information?

Thanks so much for your time!!!