low gpa/iffy DAT... chance me please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LakersKobe824rip

Reaction score
Date of submission: last week of august
Overall GPA: 3.48
Science GPA: 3.19

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you have an upward trend? I have very similar GPAs as you but do have a strong trend. You may need to retake the DAT and get your TS up since you do have the lower sGPA

I have a strong upward trend, yes!

Okay, you may still need to retake the DAT if you think you could increase your scores. I have the same GPA as you but 24TS so I think that helped offset my low sGPA. Also, I probably would have picked more private schools if I were you, I haven't had any luck with the public schools. Best of luck to you!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree, you might want to retake the DAT. I think the low sGPA combined with the 18OC & 18GC scores might be holding you back. I have a similar GPA and a 22TS and have had 2 interview invites so far.

Reactions: 1 user
Stay positive, you are a good applicant. Patience is key this time of your life. I still have PTSD from my application cycle 2 years ago. Good luck

Date of submission: last week of august
Overall GPA: 3.48
Science GPA: 3.19
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 20AA/19TS, 22BIO, 18OC, 18CHEM/23PAT/23RC/21QR
State of Residence: PA

Major: Biology
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No

Shadowing and volunteering: I did over 200 hours of dental shadowing in practices, dental missions trip to Honduras for a couple weeks, 150+ medical shadowing. My volunteering is a decent amount of hours.. around 175 hours which basically helping clean schools all around Philly, special Olympics set up...etc. Basically typical types of volunteer hours not specifically dental related other than some of the things done in Honduras.

Please include a list of schools you are interested in applying to! It is much easier for users to help you when you have taken the time to construct your own school list first!
Employment:
Full time research assistant/lab manager since graduation (5/18)
Research: 475 hours undergrad research, one paper under review for publication
Other Extracurriculars: Division I athlete, biology club, pre-dental club

I applied to:
VCU
Nova
Temple
Western
MUSC
Penn
BU
Alabama
UIC
Tennesse
USC
NYU
Pitt
Rutgers

**No interviews yet, no rejections. I've gotten one email from Temple just saying they're still reviewing application (9/14). Nova called me in September to verify my application was under review and said I would hear back in a couple of weeks but I haven't heard anything since.
Retake DAT or retake science courses