Low GPA party

Started by kkuhn
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

lol yay i belong here!

👍 to us who have tremendous upward trends that hopefully adcoms will take notice.


👎 for being in a difficult major for far too long and then realizing you are not even interested in the subject anymore.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm very reluctantly joining this party. No offense, I'm sure you're all lovely people.

cGPA 3.15
sGPA 3.07

Mine:
Boston
Drexel
EVMS
Jefferson
Oregon
Penn State
Temple
Colorado
Miami
Vermont
Tulane
Pittsburgh
Virginia
VA Commonwealth
Wake Forest

Wouldn't waste my time on Miami or Oregon due to in state issues. Miami used to directly screen with a 3.6/32 for OOS applicants. Otherwise we share many of the same schools 🙂. I'd add Albany and some of the Chicago area schools if I were you.
 
If you've done grad work, could you please post your grad GPA, too? Thanks 🙂
 
dudes 3.39 (which i'm counting as a 3.4) and a 3.28 (which i'm counting as a 3.3). same boat as you guys. i'm really debating maybe not applying this year...i need advice


Wal-Mart prices things at $19.99 instead of $20.00 because it has a psychological impact on the buyer. I would assume many adcoms experience this same thing when they see a 3.39 instead of a 3.4.

I wouldn't apply this time unless your MCAT is stellar. Check this out. https://www.aamc.org/download/157450/data/table24-mcatgpagridall2008-10.pdf.pdf

Only a handful (27.1%) of applicants with 3.2-3.39 are accepted. Your chances increase drastically to >50% when your MCAT is a 33 or better. Good Luck!

cGPA 3.15
sGPA 3.07
Got 35's on my practice MCATs, waiting for my real score to come in on June 1st. I have about 5 years of full-time work experience with lots of volunteering and metoring/leadership stuff. I feel good about things. Texas resident.

One of my buddies had a 2.9 and got in to two Texas schools when he applied. Keep your chin up.

I'd like to see what OOS schools you guys are applying to.

Mine:
Boston
Drexel
EVMS
Jefferson
Oregon
Penn State
Temple
Colorado
Miami
Vermont
Tulane
Pittsburgh
Virginia
VA Commonwealth
Wake Forest

Definitely revamp your list when you get your MCAT back. OOS schools don't give Texans much of a chance unless they are stellar applicants. This is because they know that Texas has 9 med schools and give 90% of their spots to Texans [1)better to give an OOS seat to someone from a state that has 1 or no med schools, 2) why waste an interview on someone who probably won't come if they get into one of their 9 IS schools]. If you are going to spend money on applying to OOS schools, you probably would fare well in adding some DO schools.

I recommend applying DO because, as you can see by clicking on the link above, your GPA range doesn't have a great acceptance rate. DO schools tend to be a little more lenient on the GPA front. Good Luck.
 
Last edited:
Just wanted to let you guys know that low GPA doesn't automatically mean you won't get in. I was a liberal arts major with just the prereqs done. cGPA: 3.4, sGPA: 3.33, MCAT: 30. Accepted to my state MD school.

I did no graduate work, but I was pretty involved in research and a few organizations.

Hope is out there!
 
Undergrad: 3.19 cumulative, about the same BCPM
Grad: 3.9 overall, 4.0 BCPM

Matriculating next year. It can be done! Good luck!
 
I'm a part of this party, but have 4 different schools to calculate my GPA from so I can't get an accurate GPA, just know that its definitely 3.00-3.2 range for overall and 2.9-3.1 for science. Will find out once I get all my transcripts in.

here's hoping for some luck to come our way this application cycle :xf::luck::xf::luck:
 
do you guys think that adcoms distinguish btwn applilcants with small diff's in gpa (i.e. btwn a 3.2 and 3.4 - with MCAT equal) or just place all applicants with a subavg gpa in the same pool?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
3.2 vs 3.4 is a big difference.

Bleargh, you've been a prominent member of SDN for a long time. I did not know you were in the 'club' of low GPAs- I hope you've turned yourself around academically since joining SDN as I did.
 
cGPA 3.47 sGPA 3.57 MCAT 34Q

Applied once before and got WL'ed @ Emory, UCSD, and Einstein.

Did Georgetown SMP and had a 3.87 until I received my first acceptance (and have since heinously slacked off so my final cGPA will be like 3.4)

This year was accepted to multiple schools including my top choice Cali school. Also, as an added bonus I had the opportunity to reject acceptances from schools this year that rejected me last year. Payback is a B...:laugh:
 
cGPA: 3.53
sGPA: 3.5

Freshman year: 3.0
Sophomore year: 3.63
Junior year: 3.71
Senior year: 3.78

MCAT: 36S (10p,11v,15b)

Applying to:

Einstein, Boston U, RFU, USCal, Loyola, MCW, Mayo, Ohio State, OHSU, Penn State, Rush, Brown, Arizona, UCLA, Iowa, Miami, Minnesota, UNC, Rochester, UW, Wisconsin, VTech, Wake Forest, WVU

Anybody have any opinions on some other schools I should apply to? My mdapps has all my ECs listed. Any more reachy schools you think I might have a shot at?
 
Bleargh, you've been a prominent member of SDN for a long time. I did not know you were in the 'club' of low GPAs- I hope you've turned yourself around academically since joining SDN as I did.

You mean you don't have to have a 4.0/40+ to be an avid SDN poster??? I iz so cunfoozed. MIND BLOWN:boom:
 
I'm very reluctantly joining this party. No offense, I'm sure you're all lovely people.



Wouldn't waste my time on Miami or Oregon due to in state issues. Miami used to directly screen with a 3.6/32 for OOS applicants. Otherwise we share many of the same schools 🙂. I'd add Albany and some of the Chicago area schools if I were you.

I don't think I could stand living in NY or IL, just a personal thing.

OHSU matriculated 23.4% OOS last year and I understand (at least from SDN research) that they're non-trad friendly. It's definitely a dream/reach school for sure though, just like Colorado.
 
Last edited:
Definitely revamp your list when you get your MCAT back. OOS schools don't give Texans much of a chance unless they are stellar applicants. This is because they know that Texas has 9 med schools and give 90% of their spots to Texans [1)better to give an OOS seat to someone from a state that has 1 or no med schools, 2) why waste an interview on someone who probably won't come if they get into one of their 9 IS schools]. If you are going to spend money on applying to OOS schools, you probably would fare well in adding some DO schools.

I recommend applying DO because, as you can see by clicking on the link above, your GPA range doesn't have a great acceptance rate. DO schools tend to be a little more lenient on the GPA front. Good Luck.

Already there. I'm hoping that a good MCAT score (33+) will be in the works for me. I was averaging 33.75 on the last four practice AAMC tests so my fingers are crossed.

As far as DO schools go, I'm applying to TCOM, AZCOM, VCOM (both campuses), PCOM, Nova, both LECOMs, RVUCOM, and UNECOM.
 
Wal-Mart prices things at $19.99 instead of $20.00 because it has a psychological impact on the buyer. I would assume many adcoms experience this same thing when they see a 3.39 instead of a 3.4.

I wouldn't apply this time unless your MCAT is stellar. Check this out. https://www.aamc.org/download/157450/data/table24-mcatgpagridall2008-10.pdf.pdf

Only a handful (27.1%) of applicants with 3.2-3.39 are accepted. Your chances increase drastically to >50% when your MCAT is a 33 or better. Good Luck!


MCAT is a 32S. grad gpa is a 3.85 (MPH). i'm still applying this year and just applying broadly.
 
Already there. I'm hoping that a good MCAT score (33+) will be in the works for me. I was averaging 33.75 on the last four practice AAMC tests so my fingers are crossed.

As far as DO schools go, I'm applying to TCOM, AZCOM, VCOM (both campuses), PCOM, Nova, both LECOMs, RVUCOM, and UNECOM.

I think you are golden, given your consistent practice scores.
 
I am glad that I'm not a part of this club.

I would like to wish you best of luck, though! May you get many acceptances when it is your time to apply!
 
I just calculated, mine is 2.89 :laugh: Last two semesters were 4.0, but I have A LOT of crap to make up for.
 
I'll join this with my horrendous GPA. Ended with a 3.0 sci, 3.2 cum 3.8 non-sci. Upward trend is your friend.
 
okay i dont belong here. but i still would like to say i almost could have been here if it wasnt for the fact that i took many classes that were my strength, which is basically anything math related. eco, linear algebra, stats.... tho i did bad in a european, i think culture type of class rofl, got a B minus in it, so pissed right now 😡
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I recommend applying DO because, as you can see by clicking on the link above, your GPA range doesn't have a great acceptance rate. DO schools tend to be a little more lenient on the GPA front. Good Luck.

Hmm, I would definitely say that c3.4/s3.2 is not bad enough to put off applying. Heck, 4.0 students don't have a great acceptance rate.

I'm not advocating naivete - but not all med schools take one look at your numbers and throw you into the trash heap. MCAT scores, ECs, recs... they all clearly play a role, and should go into your decision about applying/not applying.
 
If you guys consider this low, then my GPA is abysmal. Due to a series of unfortunate events, I finished Soph year with a cGPA of 2.5 :/ My science GPA lies somewhere at the bottom of the Marianas Trench. I'm taking 17 credits over the summer in order to raise it quite a bit. Anything I can do to salvage it? Or am I lost forever? 🙁
 
If you guys consider this low, then my GPA is abysmal. Due to a series of unfortunate events, I finished Soph year with a cGPA of 2.5 :/ My science GPA lies somewhere at the bottom of the Marianas Trench. I'm taking 17 credits over the summer in order to raise it quite a bit. Anything I can do to salvage it? Or am I lost forever? 🙁

Simply get straight A's in all your remaining classes. That should get you up to the lower 3. ish area.
 
end of junior year, cum universityGPA 3.24, sciGPA 3.22(DO) 3.15(MD), C.C+universityGPA 3.345 (so far).
Which sucks now is that my university's Recommendation Committee changed their requirment to a 3.4, very difficult to do in 1 semester comming from a 3.24 and 75 semester units under my belt. I'm thinking, should do a masters after I graduate?
 
If you guys consider this low, then my GPA is abysmal. Due to a series of unfortunate events, I finished Soph year with a cGPA of 2.5 :/ My science GPA lies somewhere at the bottom of the Marianas Trench. I'm taking 17 credits over the summer in order to raise it quite a bit. Anything I can do to salvage it? Or am I lost forever? 🙁

I graduated with an AMCAS of ~2.58, and I'm applying now with a 2.97 after two years of 3.97 GPA in BCPM and SMP. I've been told by admissions in two out of the four med schools I've had any contact with that there is a hard 3.0 cutoff at their school as a documented policy, so you know where to aim. At that point a great upward trend will carry you through. Know that every grade counts, whether or not you've already started your upward journey
 
I graduated with an AMCAS of ~2.58, and I'm applying now with a 2.97 after two years of 3.97 GPA in BCPM and SMP. I've been told by admissions in two out of the four med schools I've had any contact with that there is a hard 3.0 cutoff at their school as a documented policy, so you know where to aim. At that point a great upward trend will carry you through. Know that every grade counts, whether or not you've already started your upward journey

oh, some determination u got sir.
 
Upward Trend Party 😀

Let's be honest, that is who we really are. Because according to the amcas gpa conversion we are a low GPA forever.
 
tho i did bad in a european, i think culture type of class rofl, got a B minus in it, so pissed right now 😡

Art History: B-
Poly Sci I: C+
Sociology I: B-
Freshman Quality class: C+

It's great having the quality of always missing the mark, barely. :laugh:

If you guys consider this low, then my GPA is abysmal. Due to a series of unfortunate events, I finished Soph year with a cGPA of 2.5 :/ My science GPA lies somewhere at the bottom of the Marianas Trench. I'm taking 17 credits over the summer in order to raise it quite a bit. Anything I can do to salvage it? Or am I lost forever? 🙁

17 hours of sciences/lab? If so, drop it before you shoot up your school, or worse have under a 3.5.

I graduated with an AMCAS of ~2.58, and I'm applying now with a 2.97 after two years of 3.97 GPA in BCPM and SMP. I've been told by admissions in two out of the four med schools I've had any contact with that there is a hard 3.0 cutoff at their school as a documented policy, so you know where to aim. At that point a great upward trend will carry you through. Know that every grade counts, whether or not you've already started your upward journey

Woah, Bear, there is only one thing which accurately describes your situation:







"Sucks to suck."
 
What do people with a lets say 3.2 3.3 and a good MCAT score usually do if they do not get in their first time applying. What programs are out there? SMP Post bacc etc etc? What would someone have to do to pick that GPA up, after their first cycle.
 
I was looking into Midwestern's 9 month M.A. in Biomedicine, but its $45K!!! So I'm thinking of staying at my UG for another year, pick up another major and repair my GPA.
 
I think we can do more then make this a pity thread. Lets be proactive and helpful!

For those with upward threads, what changes have you made? Such as study more notes, read the textbook, or attending class, etc.

For those who have backslid or are having trouble, what bad habits have you identified and want to change?
 
I think we can do more then make this a pity thread. Lets be proactive and helpful!

For those with upward threads, what changes have you made? Such as study more notes, read the textbook, or attending class, etc.

For those who have backslid or are having trouble, what bad habits have you identified and want to change?

Good point!

I know for one that I didn't study enough, but then again, this was my first semster taking "real" college courses. I think now that I know what I'm up against, I will do much better my sophomore year.

Fresh GPA- 3.1 🙁
Fresh sGPA- 2.97 🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i know how u feel man, i missed the A mark for mah Bio II by 1 question on the final exam.

but dang, u had a rough semester man.

Oh, those were just a few classes freshman year. Prolly should have mentioned that. :laugh:

This sem was:
Undergrad research: A
Physiology of Bacteria: A-
Pathogenic Microbiology: B+
German I(5 hours): B+
 
Ok this is my first post...

Let me start off by saying that my CC work was terrible. I had too many life changes with my parents moving around, etc. And it netted me a GPA of 2.9. I was able to transfer to UC Davis for the Chemistry BS w/ emphasis in pharmaceutical and now have finally started to pick it up.

I did bad my first quarter with a 2.7 gpa, but the next quarter I received a 3.76 netting me in top 8% of my major, and this quarter I am getting a 4.0 with an A+ in my biochem course (top student in 300 plus class). From self studying and the broad range of upper div science classes I took here, I have gained a much greater understanding of biology, organic chem, physical chemistry, and am starting research in a very selective Cancer research lab on campus.

So cum GPA is just a a bit over 3.10, and i am expecting 4.0s for the next year of undergrad here at UC davis.

I should end near a 3.3 gpa and i dont know what science gpa is. I might have to go back to cc and retake ochem and bio to net a gpa closer to 3.5.

And I am ready to go to an SMP if I must but I hope my university upward trend in a decent school will help. Just wish I had my **** together back in CC.
 
Last edited:
Ok this is my first post...

Let me start off by saying that my CC work was terrible. I had too many life changes with my parents moving around, etc. And it netted me a GPA of 2.9. I was able to transfer to UC Davis for the Chemistry BS w/ emphasis in pharmaceutical and now have finally started to pick it up.


I did bad my first quarter with a 2.7 gpa, but the next quarter I received a 3.76 netting me in top 8% of my major, and this quarter I am getting a 4.0 with an A+ in my biochem course (top student in 300 plus class). From self studying and the broad range of upper div science classes I took here,
I pretty much know everything there is to know in biology, organic chem, physical chemistry, and am starting research in a very selective Cancer research lab on campus.

So cum GPA is just a a bit over 3.10, and i am expecting 4.0s for the next year of undergrad here at UC davis.


I should end near a 3.3 gpa and i dont know what science gpa is. I might have to go back to cc and retake ochem and bio to net a gpa closer to 3.5.


And I am ready to go to an SMP if I must but I hope my university upward trend in a decent school will help. Just wish I had my **** together back in CC.
Great first post.
 
Great first post.
I guess I wrote that wrong. I mean to say I took a great interest to the material, and taught myself everything I could to gain the best possible understanding.

Yeah, I guess "everything there is to know" sounds a bit haughty but I have a very strong grasp of all the material right now and will be taking the MCAT in september.

Seeing all the overachievers in SDN made me do it, I swear :laugh:
 
I guess I wrote that wrong. I mean to say I took a great interest to the material, and taught myself everything I could to gain the best possible understanding.

Yeah, I guess "everything there is to know" sounds a bit haughty but I have a very strong grasp of all the material right now and will be taking the MCAT in september.

Seeing all the overachievers in SDN made me do it, I swear :laugh:

+1, nice save!👍