Low-GPA success stories and/or schools that only look at the last 60

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CareerSwitcheroo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tried searching but couldn't find a thread like this in the forums. Long story short, my cumulative GPA is atrocious, and unfortunately it's much worse than others in this forum who are calling their 3.0 "horrible" (think 2.5-ish). It's pretty much killing my optimism. As a prospective second-career student, I'm praying for a glimmer of hope because PT is really something I want to do. I'm just hoping some school will at least give me the chance to explain myself.

I'm working hard at my prereqs (well, I just started - but I will) but I'm starting to wonder if it'll all be for nothing if most schools will automatically weed me out anyway, simply based on my GPA (like I've heard the PTCAS ones do). I've even looked at the ranges for a few schools with "no mimimum GPA requirement" however they're all still 3.0+.

Let's say I manage to do great in my prereqs, get a ton of volunteer hours, and get a killer GRE score. How much will this actually help me? Has anyone else been in the same boat and managed to get into PT school? If so, would you mind disclosing your acceptances, stats, etc.?
-----
Follow-up/edit: I found this thread, which is sort of helpful: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...consider-last-60-hours.1164250/#post-16979697 --- however for the ones that use PTCAS, won't they still see the cGPA on the application, and could it not still be used against me? I haven't actually seen what the app looks like so I wouldn't know...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you can retake classes to boost your cGPA, I would recommend that over everything. If you're just trying to roll with the GPA you have now then I would still say there's hope. Here are my stats prior to applying this past cycle:

cGPA: 2.78
prereqGPA: 4.0
GRE: 313 + 4.0 writing
Hours: 150ish inpatient; 200ish outpatient

I didn't get into any of the PTCAS schools i applied to(all California school btw) but I was able to get into a program, which i'll be starting in September. So I wouldn't say give up. There's still hope. In my opinion, it's 50/50 objective/subjective. Sure they look at gpas and gre scores but it could also depend on the person reviewing your application. Perhaps you had a good reason for your low GPA but maybe your last 60 credits and your prereqs you showed vast improvement. For me, it could've been my application essay. I'm not the strongest writer. Or maybe they saw i only worked in two settings and they wanted more.

Bottom line is that if you really want to be a PT, then you'll do whatever is necessary. Just put yourself in the best position you can and then apply. Just be satisfied with the fact that you did everything you could to make that happen. Plus you still have the option to be a PTA as well.

Best of luck!

If you can retake classes to boost your cGPA, I would recommend that over everything. If you're just trying to roll with the GPA you have now then I would still say there's hope. Here are my stats prior to applying this past cycle:

I didn't get into any of the PTCAS schools i applied to(all California school btw) but I was able to get into a program, which i'll be starting in September. So I wouldn't say give up. There's still hope. In my opinion, it's 50/50 objective/subjective. Sure they look at gpas and gre scores but it could also depend on the person reviewing your application. Perhaps you had a good reason for your low GPA but maybe your last 60 credits and your prereqs you showed vast improvement. For me, it could've been my application essay. I'm not the strongest writer. Or maybe they saw i only worked in two settings and they wanted more.

Bottom line is that if you really want to be a PT, then you'll do whatever is necessary. Just put yourself in the best position you can and then apply. Just be satisfied with the fact that you did everything you could to make that happen. Plus you still have the option to be a PTA as well.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the insight, and congrats on getting into a program! May I ask where? I'm compiling a list of schools I may potentially have a shot at...

Best of luck!
Hi mrT16, can you please tell where you are going to school this fall. I am in the similar position and started on my PTCAS application. I am repeating some of my pre reqs this summer and taking GRE. Good luck with PT school.