Low gpa, taking MCAT May 6th

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Dfaz173

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

Typical what are my chances post here. I graduated from a large state university in December of 2015 (graduated in 3.5 years) My Gpa is currently sitting at a very unimpressive 3.0 and 2.75 sgpa. I am starting a post-bacc at CUSOM next year and provided that I maintain a 3.0 in the program will be granted an automatic interview.

My MCAT is on May 6th and my practice tests have been rounding out to about a 506. The post-bacc program includes a free Kaplan MCAT course so if I happen to bomb it, I will re-take it sometime next semester.

I was a front desk clinic intern at a free clinic for a semester (~100 hrs) , I volunteered weekley at a woman's shelter for a semester (~48 hrs), I currently work as a receptionist whom I shadow regularly (he is writing me an LOR) ,shadowed a cardiologist weekly for 6 weeks (also getting an LOR) and shadowed a vascular surgeon for 8 hrs. Additionally, I worked full time for my county's environmental health department one summer and part time at Moe's for two summers. I also have an EMR (Emergency medical responder) certification from the NSC.

Do you think I should still do re-takes alongside my post-bacc or will that be unnecessary. Also, with my low scores, does anyone have any school suggestions?
 
Last edited:
I dont think you should do a masters program. Instead look into postbac program at uncg or peace college, very easy to do well in these schools. I am looking into the MSBS at CUSOOM since I did biochem and sitting at 3.2 gpa however I am kind of debating with myself between retaking classes in HBC schools or an easy school since thats much safer and cheaper option. ps. CUSOOM is 40,000 for 2 years are you sure about your decision?