MD & DO Low GPA Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemicalx

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm graduating in May with a BA in political science and a 2.0 gpa. My college career has been anything but typical. I'm a first generation college student with no familial support, I was in an abusive relationship, and sexually assaulted. All of those things affected my gpa which was in an significantly upward trend before the assault. I recently decided to pursue medicine despite my low grades. I guess my question is what should I do next? I'm considering going back to school to get a BS in psychology. It'll take 2-3 years and I'll be able to retake many of the classes I did poorly in. My goal is to apply to a SMP and then apply to an osteopathic medical school. If anyone has any advice it'd be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Okay. How do you think I should proceed after doing that?
Thank you for the reply!

Members don't see this ad :)
You are at the very early stages of this. The first thing I would ask is: how do you know you want to pursue medicine? Do you have exposure to the work of a doctor (ie shadowing) and do you have clinical experience (ie understanding what the patient experience is and knowing that you want to spend your working life with people who are sick and/or dying)? No point starting on this journey and then finding out you can't stand the sight of blood or the smell of the sick.

The undergraduate classes you need to take need to do three things: fulfil the pre-req requirements for med school, give you the knowledge basis you need to take the MCAT and get your GPA up to at least 3.0 and preferably higher. You don't need another undergraduate degree, which might delay things by requiring classes that don't help with the 3 things you do need.

Once you've sorted your undergraduate classes you need a good MCAT and a decent list of ECs.

what schools are you planning to apply to?