Low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mukundvandekar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is G.P.A one of the most important things they consider for accepting for International Dentists Program ?
A few colleges refuse to even accept my application,they said i was not eligeble to apply to their Uni.
I know my GPA is very very low. But is there any way around it ? Or any course to improve the GPA ? Or any way to make the CV so strong that is compensates for a low G.P.A ?
My BDS GPA is only 1.94, and MDS GPA is 3.0. Many people told me to FORGET about US, and that I have NO chance despite of my mds degree,presentations,international publication and research. Its the end of the road since my GPA is just 1.94,its no use doing anything else,all a waste of time.

Members don't see this ad.

Why do You lose hope?
What about the country you completed your education in? Is US the only place you want to practice?

You can try doing a masters in USA to have a gpa a bit higher, some are 2 years , try to aim for high gpa. That is if you are adamant on USA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why do You lose hope?
What about the country you completed your education in? Is US the only place you want to practice?
Hey Cuppi- I am from India,its good here too, but I have made a lot of plans for my future in the US,so i am quiet adamant on US.

You can try doing a masters in USA to have a gpa a bit higher, some are 2 years , try to aim for high gpa. That is if you are adamant on USA.
Hey Vancitydentist - I though of the same thing, but 2 problems. !
1st - I wish to do my residency in OMFS, which needs DDS.
2nd - If DDS doesn't accept me with a GPA of 1.94, will the masters program in Prostho,Endo,Ortho accept me ?
And I have a GPA for BDS and MDS in India,but they are all adamant that they will se my BDS GPA.
So if i do my masters in US, how does it work ? Will they consider the masters GPA or combine both ? Or will simply strengthen my CV.
Am asking since I really don't know how it works.
I found a 2 courses in NYU. 2 years implant course and a 1 year COTR ( research course ). No degree, Only certificate.
Both are for International students only. It has practically no requirements, like no NBDE etc. Hence my view is that it might NOT help me CV.
Will it help my case,if i apply for DDS after doing one of the courses ?
And which is better ? 1 year research in US or 2 years of clinical experience ?
Sorry for the LONG message.
Thank you for your time and patience.

Hey Vancitydentist - I though of the same thing, but 2 problems. !
1st - I wish to do my residency in OMFS, which needs DDS.
2nd - If DDS doesn't accept me with a GPA of 1.94, will the masters program in Prostho,Endo,Ortho accept me ?
And I have a GPA for BDS and MDS in India,but they are all adamant that they will se my BDS GPA.
So if i do my masters in US, how does it work ? Will they consider the masters GPA or combine both ? Or will simply strengthen my CV.
Am asking since I really don't know how it works.
I found a 2 courses in NYU. 2 years implant course and a 1 year COTR ( research course ). No degree, Only certificate.
Both are for International students only. It has practically no requirements, like no NBDE etc. Hence my view is that it might NOT help me CV.
Will it help my case,if i apply for DDS after doing one of the courses ?
And which is better ? 1 year research in US or 2 years of clinical experience ?
Sorry for the LONG message.
Thank you for your time and patience.
Really sorry for this and I don't mean to ruin it for you but a gpa less than 2 is going to make it extremely extremely difficult for you to get into a specialty or DDS. The NYU programs have no gpa and won't help in any way. People with a gpa above 3.0 are struggling even with masters degrees like mph etc to get into DDS these days. most good schools like UCSF, UOP, UPenn, Rutgers, TUFTS, Michigan look for high gpa. The only reason I am telling you this is that the whole caapid and pass process is extremely expensive and you can avoid spending on it. In case it helps Australia is a good option.

No. Don't give up your dreams!
If you want to practice in the US then work hard for it and you will definitely get in.
My advice to you is to think outside the box. Most would do certain things to improve their resumes like MPH, dental camps and getting dental certificates from good universities. You can do all of that but the committee will still compare your GPA to other applicants. The only thing that will give you a superior hand is to have something in your resume the rest dont have. Serving in the US Army is an option. Spending couple of months in a poor country serving the needy is another.

My bds gpa is 2.22 and my mds gpa is 3...is it worth preparing nbde..do I stand any chances.pls reply.

I think it is next to impossible. Definitely no chances in postgraduate. Such low GPA says to universities, that you failed many subjects, which makes you a bad potential student for them. No university here will let you graduate with GPA lower, then 2.0.
Do not forget about competition between Indian dentists, who will be applying with you. As you may know, an applicant from India has to be even better then average, just because there so many of them
If you want to try, have money and free time, do it to just understand what is possible. Choose private, more expensive and lesser known universities

Hey dentdreams and mukundvander. Whatever became of you guys? Hope you found what you were looking for.

Also. I need some guidance myself my bds gpa is 2.56 and my mds gpa is 3.99... I also happen to have an MBA in hospital management from my home country. I wanna know where I stand. Should I spends thousands of DOLLARS to go to US/CANADA only to have my dreams of settling there as an OMFS crushed or is it worth a shot? Please help me you guyss

Hey dentdreams and mukundvander. Whatever became of you guys? Hope you found what you were looking for.

Also. I need some guidance myself my bds gpa is 2.56 and my mds gpa is 3.99... I also happen to have an MBA in hospital management from my home country. I wanna know where I stand. Should I spends thousands of DOLLARS to go to US/CANADA only to have my dreams of settling there as an OMFS crushed or is it worth a shot? Please help me you guyss
The whole equivalency process in Canada used to cost around $8 000. Many of my gifted friends had to do it twice to pass. I was told that they only let through about 10% of applicants. Canadian universities are notorious for only looking at the stats, so they will not like your GPA.
There might be a chance if you enroll into masters in USA and do very well in it to show an improvement in your ability to learn, the problem is masters programs require a decent GPA as well, at least the ones I looked into