General Admissions & OTCAS Low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

millywindsor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone on here applying with a 2.75 undergrad cumulative GPA? My last 60 credits are a 3.0, and my prereqs are all A's so far but I just didn't know if anyone was in the same boat or has some advice or anything!

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Having all A's in your prereqs is a wonderful strength! From what I've seen, most OT programs require at least a 3.0 cumulative gpa.

My advice would be to take some more classes to get to at least a 3.0 so that your applications will be considered. Wishing you the best with your applications; there are a few success stories on this forum of people with low gpa's gaining acceptance!

Thank you for the response ! I guess my question is, what would i have to do to raise that undergrad GPA? If the transcript from my bachelors degree has a 2.75 on it then how do i get it higher? I thought the cum GPA did not include prerequisite courses taken after i already receive my bachelors degree?

Members don't see this ad :)
The OTCAS gpa is the one that many programs consider and that gpa is calculated by averaging all of your undergraduate course work. This means you could raise your OTCAS gpa by taking classes at your local community college after your bachelor's degree!

Some programs require a 3.0 in your bachelor's gpa, and unfortunately, I don't think there is anything you can do for those programs. However, for programs that consider cumulative OTCAS gpa, you can take more classes to raise that 2.75

Reactions: 3 users
wow so otcas cumulative includes my prerequisite courses as well?

wow so otcas cumulative includes my prerequisite courses as well?

If you took your prereqs in college (whether this was at your undergrad institution or a 2 year community college or 4 year college/university) then yes, they are included in your OTCAS gpa.

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:
It will take quite a long time to raise from a GPA from 2.75 to 3.0. My advice is look into schools that asks for 3.0 recommended and not required. They should also be schools that conduct interview. Schools that do not do interview will have to heavily rely on stats to determine acceptance. Your all A's prereq should spark interest. Keep it up and strengthen the GRE score, shadowing, personal statement, and good recommendations- these areas which you can control more easily taking account for time.

Reactions: 1 user
I would agree with everything posted above and add that you may want to consider applying to "developing" programs that can be found on AOTA's website (favoring pre-accreditation programs over developing/candidacy status. Fewer individuals will apply to these programs because it is viewed as "risky" to attend a program that is not established nor accredited, yet. These schools will typically have less rigorous criteria for admissions. Additionally I would apply to programs that do not utilize OTCAS again because fewer individuals will apply.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a 3.16 Overall GPA and like a 3.5 in pre-rec's. I'd suggest making every other aspect of your application look 'better' than other applicants- lots more observation and volunteer hours, spectacular letters of recommendation. Have a teacher go over your letter and have them edit it.
Also, the developing school thing is true. I applied to KU, Rockhurst, Creighton, Midwestern(both campuses), and Cox(developing). Denied everywhere put Creighton- they put me on the waiting list.
Then today got an interview invite from Cox.
Just be careful with schools that aren't accredited. That's my main problem now :/