General Admissions & OTCAS Low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tcpots

Abcots
Reaction score
Update: I got in! Thank you all for your motivation.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm wondering what you're main aversion to OTA programs is. I'm curious because I plan on attending one (I'd like to get on the ground practice before learning theory, mainly) but always interested in hearing different persepctives.

As far as advice moving forward, I'd say to let your passion shine. I can hear it in your post, and the fact that you got an interview is promising for sure. Is there a reason you got a 2.5 GPA in your sciences before? If you're getting a 4.0 in A&P, it seems like maybe you were going through something previously.

Hello all, like many of you, I'm in the process of interviewing for OT schools. My issue is my GPA for sure, which is a 3.24 overall, with a 2.5 in natural sciences. This is absolutely terrible, I realize. I'm retaking Anatomy now and I'm currently making an A, so hopefully that'll make it go up somewhat. I have over 400 shadowing hours, was involved in a lot of different organizations and truly have a passion for this field. Right now, I'm wondering if there's hope in this dream with the current situation. Before it is mentioned, I do not want to apply to OTA school and eventually bridge. It sounds selfish, but I've worked so hard on achieving this that I want this. I've gotten one interview, which went decent I believe and waiting to hear back from the others.

I've already taken a gap year to work to save up money for OT school, so, taking another gap year if I don't get in will be extremely disheartening. At this point I've taken so many classes, retaking or taking more barely makes a dent in my GPA.

Also, I made a 301 on the GRE.

Any advice? Words of motivation?
I'm currently applying and I was invited for interviews at 5 programs, and was accepted to 2 with a 3.13 OTCAS GPA and similar GRE stats to yours. I'm also pretty sure my science GPA is sub 2.5. I'm not saying this to brag, as I truly don't even think I have comprehended my acceptances yet, but just know that it is possible. I know this sounds cheesy, but if you truly have a passion they will see it. You just have to work your ass off on everything besides your GPA (if it's too late to raise it like it was for me), and you need to do something that makes you stand out. All of this goes for people who have good GPAs, but moreso for us. It's clear that you're a good applicant because that school invited you for an interview, and you said that you have tons of observation hours and you were on some clubs and organizations, which is great. We are still semi-early in the cycle, so do not lose hope yet, but also don't assume you will be accepted. If you are willing, start the game plan on what you will do during your gap year if you end up not getting in this cycle. It's depressing, but at least that way you have a plan for the next few years instead of worrying about the future.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm wondering what you're main aversion to OTA programs is. I'm curious because I plan on attending one (I'd like to get on the ground practice before learning theory, mainly) but always interested in hearing different persepctives.

As far as advice moving forward, I'd say to let your passion shine. I can hear it in your post, and the fact that you got an interview is promising for sure. Is there a reason you got a 2.5 GPA in your sciences before? If you're getting a 4.0 in A&P, it seems like maybe you were going through something previously.
Mainly just a young college student who had no work ethic. My upperclassman GPA was much higher. My main aversion is the fact that I've been pushing so hard to go to OT School, that going to OTA school would make it sound like a plan B for me which goes against what I've been pushing for. Really just a personal goal, and I'm a very goal oriented person.

My cumm. was a 3.34 and I was accepted into 3/4 schools and waitlisted at the other. Good luck!

If it makes you feel any better, and I hope it will, I was able to get accepted into a top 10 program with a 3.21 GPA on my OTCAS. This included a B in physiology and a C in anatomy. Yes, my GRE was higher and I focused on my other experiences like research and volunteering. Just make sure you sell your strengths and you should have a good chance!

My overall GPA was like a 2.6. Prereqs 4.0 (last 54 units). GRE 305. Got into a school that looked at last 60 units. If you're willing to move, you can get into a school. But, I understand people have location preferences due to personal reasons. Another year isn't the worst thing in the world. I didn't start OT school until I was 31.

Status
Not open for further replies.