Low grades in prereq classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

41Johnny

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I just wanted some feedback in terms of how my grades are so far. I know they are on the lower side and I know that I have to work really hard from now on but I just wanted to see where I am as of now. I just finished my 2nd year fall quarter and I originally took Ochem 1 and Physics 1A along with lab (I ended up withdrawing from ochem because I wasn't doing too well). HERE WE GO.

Gen Chem 1: B
Gen Chem 2: B
Gen Chem 3: B+
Gen Chem Lab: B
Calc 2: B+
Calc 3: B+
Orgo Chem 1: W (planning on retaking next quarter)
Physics 1: B+
Physics 1 Lab: B
Stats: A-

I still have 3 orgo chem classes and 2 more Physics labs/classes + 5 upper div bio classes I have to take. How am I doing so far? Thanks for the feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

It would have definitely have been much better if you scored higher but what's done is done. I would focus on showing an upward trend in your GPA at this point. Also, have you been involved with work or ECs. I'm just offering my two cents(I'm not the best person for advice) but if worked full time and did a lot of ECs I think that would be a way to explain it during any interviews. What I've been hearing though is that GPA is more important. So if you're GPA is low concentrate on boosting it. Also try really hard to get A's in those classes and it may make up for the lower GPA.

Your sGPA is taking a big hit with these grades. You're really going to want to ace those other science classes in the coming semesters. Remember that you will have additional time to work on the other parts of your application (extracurriculars and MCAT) but you only have one real shot at getting a good GPA. Make it count.

Edit: I will add onto this and say that these grades will not necessarily bar you from getting into med school if you do well in those upper-level classes, so there's no need to freak out yet. Schools favor upward trends, so be sure to put in the extra work to make it happen!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Also, if you for some reason don't get into medical school or your chances are low because of your GPA look into doing some post-bacc program. It can show you are serious about becoming a doctor and are able to handle the course load. I would talk to an advisor about this as an option.

With an sGPA of ~3.2 and Ochem impending...not great. You need to essentially get A- or A for most of your remaining science classes to have decent odds.

So, assuming I do well in the science classes I have left (all A-'s and A's) would I still have decent shot at med school?

So, assuming I do well in the science classes I have left (all A-'s and A's) would I still have decent shot at med school?
If you got a 3.8 from here on you'd end up at 3.5 or so. At that point it will be largely determined by your MCAT, state of residence, ECs