low grades, need advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noraapmd

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated with a 2.5 cgpa and an even lower science gpa. I was a confused student in college and didn't know what I wanted to do exactly, therefore my grades reflect that. I had no direction. I was a humanities major. I have about 2-3 repeats for Bio I, 2 and physics I and II, never getting A's despite repeating those classes. basically my gpa was lowered by bad grades in science classes. And everythime I would take a science course with my major courses, my grades in those classes suffered. I started a post-bac a year ago at a local university, and have been struggling with that as well with my gpa at about a 2.5 inlcuding retakes in upper level science courses like genetics.

I know gpa repair can take years and I might be crazy to still trying to pursue DO school. I wanted to give myself one more chance by giving myself a year (which would be bwteen 30-45 credit hours) to earn all A's in any other upper level science courses I can take. And maybe get into a masters of medical science or maybe even DO school if I show signigficant imporvement. I dont even know If I would be accepted into a masters with only 30 credit hours of very good grades out of my entire college career?

I know it looks like I probably cant handle being a doctor if I am doing poor in science. I have introspected as to why my grades were suffering and it is a combo of incorrect time management and not studying effectively as well as taking heavy course loads I couldnt handle in my post-bac. I know what I need to do to to get the grades i need. I tend to dwell on details too much and that has been something that Is difficult for me to overcome despite being in school for so long. Please try to not advice on alternating careers, I know I have it in me to get where I want eventually. I can't see myself doing anything else, and any input would be appreciated. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I graduated with a 2.5 cgpa and an even lower science gpa. I was a confused student in college and didn't know what I wanted to do exactly, therefore my grades reflect that. I had no direction. I was a humanities major. I have about 2-3 repeats for Bio I, 2 and physics I and II, never getting A's despite repeating those classes. basically my gpa was lowered by bad grades in science classes. And everythime I would take a science course with my major courses, my grades in those classes suffered. I started a post-bac a year ago at a local university, and have been struggling with that as well with my gpa at about a 2.5 inlcuding retakes in upper level science courses like genetics. I know gpa repair can take years and I might be crazy to still trying to pursue DO school. I wanted to give myself one more chance by giving myself a year (which would be bwteen 30-45 credit hours) to earn all A's in any other upper level science courses I can take. And maybe get into a masters of medical science or maybe even DO school if I show signigficant imporvement. I dont even know If I would be accepted into a masters with only 30 credit hours of very good grades out of my entire college career? I know it looks like I probably cant handle being a doctor if I am doing poor in science. I have introspected as to why my grades were suffering and it is a combo of incorrect time management and not studying effectively as well as taking heavy course loads I couldnt handle in my post-bac. I know what I need to do to to get the grades i need. I tend to dwell on details too much and that has been something that Is difficult for me to overcome despite being in school for so long. Please try to not advice on alternating careers, I know I have it in me to get where I want eventually. I can't see myself doing anything else, and any input would be appreciated. thanks

This may sound harsh, but before ANYTHING, you need to take a deep breathe and calm down. Reading your post gave me anxiety.

From what I gathered, 2.5 undergrad GPA (<2.5 sGPA). 2.5 in Post Bac. All this with repeats? Im sorry to say MD, DO, PA, and maybe even Podiatry may be out. You need at the very minimum 2.8 to apply to a lot of those programs.

You didnt even mention taking an MCAT? You are either trolling (since this is your first message) or you are extremely naive and have no idea what you are getting yourself into, basically you dont know what you dont know and on top of that, you posted this in the "medical school" forums, whereas this is supposed to go in the pre-med section. That alone says a lot.

Reactions: 2 users
You would probably be kicked out of medical school even if you got in with connections somehow, because there is only a slim chance you would pass any of the classes, let alone successfully graduate. I am always optimistic if there is hope, but this is just a bad situation. I know you said you don't want people to tell you this, but - you should look into other career paths.

Members don't see this ad :)
I graduated with a 2.5 cgpa and an even lower science gpa. I was a confused student in college and didn't know what I wanted to do exactly, therefore my grades reflect that. I had no direction. I was a humanities major. I have about 2-3 repeats for Bio I, 2 and physics I and II, never getting A's despite repeating those classes. basically my gpa was lowered by bad grades in science classes. And everythime I would take a science course with my major courses, my grades in those classes suffered. I started a post-bac a year ago at a local university, and have been struggling with that as well with my gpa at about a 2.5 inlcuding retakes in upper level science courses like genetics. I know gpa repair can take years and I might be crazy to still trying to pursue DO school. I wanted to give myself one more chance by giving myself a year (which would be bwteen 30-45 credit hours) to earn all A's in any other upper level science courses I can take. And maybe get into a masters of medical science or maybe even DO school if I show signigficant imporvement. I dont even know If I would be accepted into a masters with only 30 credit hours of very good grades out of my entire college career? I know it looks like I probably cant handle being a doctor if I am doing poor in science. I have introspected as to why my grades were suffering and it is a combo of incorrect time management and not studying effectively as well as taking heavy course loads I couldnt handle in my post-bac. I know what I need to do to to get the grades i need. I tend to dwell on details too much and that has been something that Is difficult for me to overcome despite being in school for so long. Please try to not advice on alternating careers, I know I have it in me to get where I want eventually. I can't see myself doing anything else, and any input would be appreciated. thanks

Best bet is Caribbean at this point.

i would recommend retaking your last two years of upper level courses to do some serious grade repair. You will also need to retake all of your science courses needed for medical school. All in all, your looking at 3 years fulltime to repair our grade and be considerable, if you take classes in the summer (and they are offered during that non academic semester), work your butt off and you could potentially do some grade repair in 2-2.5 years.

Doesnt seem like a post bacc or SMP would help much either.

This may sound harsh, but before ANYTHING, you need to take a deep breathe and calm down. Reading your post gave me anxiety.

From what I gathered, 2.5 undergrad GPA (<2.5 sGPA). 2.5 in Post Bac. All this with repeats? Im sorry to say MD, DO, PA, and maybe even Podiatry may be out. You need at the very minimum 2.8 to apply to a lot of those programs.

You didnt even mention taking an MCAT? You are either trolling (since this is your first message) or you are extremely naive and have no idea what you are getting yourself into, basically you dont know what you dont know and on top of that, you posted this in the "medical school" forums, whereas this is supposed to go in the pre-med section. That alone says a lot.

I noticed it was in the wrong section. sorry about that...

Last edited:
Best bet is Caribbean at this point.
c and s GPA are so low, the top tier (4: SGU, ROSS, AUC, SABA) wouldnt even consider him as competitive. OP would have to go to a bottom teir school and risk thousands of dollars with no guarantee or passing or residency placements.

Advice: Get good grades. Good grades would be a start. If you can't get good grades then you need to find a different career, no matter how much you want to be a doctor.

A man who bench presses 110 and weighs 145 isn't going to make it in the NFL no matter how much he wants it.

A man with acne, a mullet, and 10 year old clothes isn't going to be a Versace model, no matter how much he wants it.

Give yourself a year, or two, or three, or ten or twenty to rehab things, it's your life, but if you keep getting a 2.5 then you should probably just look for an office job.

I noticed I put it in the wrong section. this is my first post
i would recommend retaking your last two years of upper level courses to do some serious grade repair. You will also need to retake all of your science courses needed for medical school. All in all, your looking at 3 years fulltime to repair our grade and be considerable, if you take classes in the summer (and they are offered during that non academic semester), work your butt off and you could potentially do some grade repair in 2-2.5 years.

I don't see the point of retaking courses where I have made B's and C's in really? will this make a difference? these classes were Ochem I and II.

Is repair necessary with B/C grades? A lot of the science courses I have seemed to struggle with were pre-reqs and I feel no matter how hard I tried in those classes I am unable to get higher than a B in those classes even with retakes. I did retake physics I and got an A, but that was because of the profosser being way too easy. I know a 2.5 gpa sounds low, but that is what a B/C student is. Don't you think my best bet is to move forward and try and get A's in upper level science courses like immunology, cell biology, etc? and do about 40-60 credit hours? the only upper level science course I have taken is genetics thus far. I retook it and got an A. thank you

I don't see the point of retaking courses where I have made B's and C's in really? will this make a difference? these classes were Ochem I and II.

Is repair necessary with B/C grades? A lot of the science courses I have seemed to struggle with were pre-reqs and I feel no matter how hard I tried in those classes I am unable to get higher than a B in those classes even with retakes. I did retake physics I and got an A, but that was because of the profosser being way too easy. I know a 2.5 gpa sounds low, but that is what a B/C student is. Don't you think my best bet is to move forward and try and get A's in upper level science courses like immunology, cell biology, etc? and do about 40-60 credit hours? the only upper level science course I have taken is genetics thus far. I retook it and got an A. thank you

And being a B/C student will not get you into med school. You need to repair the pre-reqs; not to sound harsh, but how will you do well on the MCAT if you can't do relatively well in those core classes?

Reactions: 1 users

Although having 1 or 2 C's may not be an issue at some schools, having MULTIPLE C's does raise a red flag, and for that reason you have to retake them, not only to show you can handle basic level sciences, but also for the MCAT. I mean there is no escaping it. If not for anything, then atleast for the MCAT prep part, you would have to master it to some level and think about retaking it. Plus a lot of the upper level sciences build on basic biology and chemistry. Whats the point in making a house if your foundation is weak?

But also true. OP needs a little dose of reality. They said they know the grade issue yet still haven't gotten As.

IF you are still interested in doing this, take a full load of science classes. If you cant get a majority of As there, my advice is to try something else, med school is a totally different animal than upper divs science

Members don't see this ad :)
I wanted to give myself one more chance by giving myself a year (which would be bwteen 30-45 credit hours) to earn all A's in any other upper level science courses I can take.
If you have 2.5 GPA, how realistically you can expect to get all A's in higher level science courses taking a full load. That's not possible. Don't even try. Start several courses and change your studying and habits. Make sure you get lots of help and if that works, you can increase your load.

Please try to not advice on alternating careers, I know I have it in me to get where I want eventually. I can't see myself doing anything else, and any input would be appreciated. thanks
Sometimes having realistic expectations is better.

The math doesn’t get you above a 3.0

The history makes it unlikely you can suddenly get all As

Your discussion here implies you don’t have good answers to very good questions/points

You are likely just burning time and money. Feel free to do so but remember that student loans don’t discharge in bankruptcy

Why would you think you are going to get 30+ credits of 4.0 now... You don't even know what it takes to make those grades.

I was in your shoes. I got rejected from Carribean schools, went in multiple academic probations and an academic suspension. You can message me if you want to chat, I have some good advisory resources you could look into. Bottom line is with the new DO grade replacement policy you’re not going to move the needle there either. You’ll need to do retakes anyway, show a solid trend, then do a masters etc. It’s what I did. It took YEARS and some major life changes though. You need to do some intense introspection my friend, saying things like “my time management needs work” is exactly what kept me in my rut for so long.

I’d love to chat specifics, just send me a message. I seriously was you 3-4 years ago, now I’m in med school and doing really well. Not easy, but it can be done.

You are likely just burning time and money. Feel free to do so but remember that student loans don’t discharge in bankruptcy

This. I keep getting love letters from my loan service providers and I'm full time student with no money. The whole student loan aspect can really smack reality into some people.

OP, gonna be blunt, post bacc 2.5 GPA is not good. You needed to be acing post bacc to show med school you can handle the coursework. Its time for plan B, and that is likley something entirely outside of medicine. I usually recommend Pod school to people with low GPA, but your performance indicates you will fail out. A pod school might take you if you manage to get a 500+ on the MCAT, but unless your last 2-3 years of GPA has been a 3.8, I wouldn't recommend podiatry school. The first two years are just as hard and MD/DO.

Pharmacy school may take you. They are desperate for applicants and the work is easier.

Why would you think you are going to get 30+ credits of 4.0 now... You don't even know what it takes to make those grades.

I do know what it takes to get those grades now and I believe in myself. I am asking if I am successful at this, will it be beneficial to me.

I do know what it takes to get those grades now and I believe in myself. I am asking if I am successful at this, will it be beneficial to me.

You started a post-bac a year ago and struggled in RETAKES. No. You don't know what it takes to get A's and then some. You need to take a long break from school. Your work ethic in your academics is poor. You need to get a job and work for a few years. Think about something else that would be fulfilling as a career.

You started a post-bac a year ago and struggled in RETAKES. No. You don't know what it takes to get A's and then some. You need to take a long break from school. Your work ethic in your academics is poor. You need to get a job and work for a few years. Think about something else that would be fulfilling as a career.

No they were not retakes. These were additional classes. I know my work ethic is poor under circumstances. I do know what it takes. I have analyzed and introspected. With fewer classes a semester depending on the difficulty of the courses, I pull A's. I am asking whether 30-40 credits of extra coursework of improvement and A grades will be beneficial to me and will admissions still consider me? that's all i'm asking. thanks for your response.

I started a post-bac a year ago at a local university, and have been struggling with that as well with my gpa at about a 2.5 inlcuding retakes in upper level science courses like genetics.

You said retakes. So I'm repeating what you said in your original post. You were not an A student last year but you will be one this year? What makes you strongly believe that?

30-40 credit hours of A's will not be enough to raise your GPA to a 3.0 (you won't meet the GPA cutoffs). You can't blame the circumstances that you were in for the grades you received (own it).

OP, to give you some perspective, I was in your shoes about 4 years ago but with a 3.0 GPA. I retook pre recs and got As in all the retakes and 1 B during the two year repair. I had a 3.8 the last two years of my coursework and I still didn’t get in the first time I applied.

You said retakes. So I'm repeating what you said in your original post. You were not an A student last year but you will be one this year? What makes you strongly believe that?

30-40 credit hours of A's will not be enough to raise your GPA to a 3.0 (you won't meet the GPA cutoffs). You can't blame the circumstances that you were in for the grades you received (own it).

yes that was just one class. I took Ochem II with genetics and 2 other classes. so I know that my workload was too tough for me and I made that mistake for two semesters. I would take fewer classes. that would be my solution. I am very much aware that my gpa will still be low with the credit hours I plan to take. But I know some schools look at improvement over others. I would apply to a masers program after improvement in my undergraduate coursework. but even masters have cut off's and I am scared that even if I do show improvement it won't be worth it in the end.

OP, to give you some perspective, I was in your shoes about 4 years ago but with a 3.0 GPA. I retook pre recs and got As in all the retakes and 1 B during the two year repair. I had a 3.8 the last two years of my coursework and I still didn’t get in the first time I applied.

what did you do to get in eventually?

yes that was just one class. I took Ochem II with genetics and 2 other classes. so I know that my workload was too tough for me and I made that mistake for two semesters. I would take fewer classes. that would be my solution. I am very much aware that my gpa will still be low with the credit hours I plan to take. But I know some schools look at improvement over others. I would apply to a masers program after improvement in my undergraduate coursework. but even masters have cut off's and I am scared that even if I do show improvement it won't be worth it in the end.

It's always best to gradually raise your course load. You need to figure out how many credits it's going to take you to raise your GPA to a 2.8-3.0 range. You need to study and take the Mcat when you are hitting your target score (do a lot of practice tests. This test is no joke). You will need to do either a SMP or Masters in biomedical sciences at a DO.

No they were not retakes. These were additional classes. I know my work ethic is poor under circumstances. I do know what it takes. I have analyzed and introspected. With fewer classes a semester depending on the difficulty of the courses, I pull A's. I am asking whether 30-40 credits of extra coursework of improvement and A grades will be beneficial to me and will admissions still consider me? that's all i'm asking. thanks for your response.
Looks like you came here not for advice but for proving your point.

go ahead and do what you think is best for you.

Reactions: 4 users
Can you at least learn how to use paragraphs? it makes reading this wall of text difficult, and we do wish to help.

Right now, your doing poorly in your post-bac classes is a sign that you have not turned things around, and that it is time for Plan B.

But if you insist, read this, and also everything written in the Non-trad forum by the wise @DrMidlife :
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

It's always best to gradually raise your course load. You need to figure out how many credits it's going to take you to raise your GPA to a 2.8-3.0 range. You need to study and take the Mcat when you are hitting your target score (do a lot of practice tests. This test is no joke). You will need to do either a SMP or Masters in biomedical sciences at a DO.
Can you at least learn how to use paragraphs? it makes reading this wall of text difficult, and we do wish to help.

Right now, your doing poorly in your post-bac classes is a sign that you have not turned things around, and that it is time for Plan B.

But if you insist, read this, and also everything written in the Non-trad forum by the wise @DrMidlife :
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

Thanks. I have not turned things around, I'm aware. I am definitely struggling. I am starting to think a lot more practically and realistically about my life after a year of post bac, and thoughts of giving it a rest have come into play. But if I can show drastic improvement in coursework for a year or two. Do you think this will pay off? I think what I'm looking for is an answer to that question, not advice necessarily. You can be honest because that is what I need in order to reflect. I have taken a total of 3 semesters and 36 credit hours so far. I dont expect to get into a DO school right away after a year of improvement. But will a masters of biomedical sciences even consider me given that I am in the 2.8-3.0 range? My gut tells me that I should continue with plan A, and I guess I just need validation.

No they were not retakes. These were additional classes. I know my work ethic is poor under circumstances. I do know what it takes.I have analyzed and introspected. With fewer classes a semester depending on the difficulty of the courses, I pull A's. I am asking whether 30-40 credits of extra coursework of improvement and A grades will be beneficial to me and will admissions still consider me? that's all i'm asking. thanks for your response.

If this was true. You wouldn’t be on here asking for help.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If this was true. You wouldn’t be on here asking for help.

maybe I don't. But I do know that great grades and effective study skills are necessary for medical school and I know I am not cut out for it right now and that is devastating. But I do think it is obtainable and I can learn to establish those skills. I am a person who works very hard, like all of us I'm sure...but still struggle with getting good grades in science. I have great interest in learning the material but I have not been able to get an A in a single science course unless it is a retake and I am learning it for 2 semesters. I was not a science major, doing a science only post-bac has been very tough on me. But I can't seem to stop what I am doing and can't come in terms of reality. I have the desire and drive to improve at the end of the day. If you have any study skill tips I can benefit from, I would love to hear them and it would help.

Thanks. I have not turned things around, I'm aware. I am definitely struggling. I am starting to think a lot more practically and realistically about my life after a year of post bac, and thoughts of giving it a rest have come into play. But if I can show drastic improvement in coursework for a year or two. Do you think this will pay off? I think what I'm looking for is an answer to that question, not advice necessarily. You can be honest because that is what I need in order to reflect. I have taken a total of 3 semesters and 36 credit hours so far. I dont expect to get into a DO school right away after a year of improvement. But will a masters of biomedical sciences even consider me given that I am in the 2.8-3.0 range? My gut tells me that I should continue with plan A, and I guess I just need validation.

I would say you'd need another year of post-bacc work with mostly A's in all your courses (where your taking mostly science courses) before applying to Masters programs. After that a 2 year heavy science Master's will definitely help if again you get the A's in most of your courses, and if you don't get the grades you need you'd at least still have some options open career wise with a Masters. After the Masters you'd work for year while your applying, and I'd say apply not only to DO, but maybe PA or Pharmacy programs which might be a good backup careers that are still very medically relevant and important fields. You'd probably would want to take the MCAT the summer after the 1st year of your Masters degree and you need to do extremely well. All of this is definitely possible but based on your track record is high improbable - but hey every one loves an underdog story. Kick ass these next few years, really give it all you have and show how much you've grown and matured since your poor grades. I truly believe that were there is a will there is a way and I wish you the best of luck.

Reactions: 3 users
Do you think this will pay off?

I have no clue if it will pay off. Nobody can answer that question but you. You need to search within (not sdn) and ask yourself if you have reached your limit? You were supposed to have a strong performance in a post-bac not a weak one. You need to honestly do something else for a little while before more poor choices are made.

Medical school is much harder than 12 credits of science courses. If you’re finding it difficult to pull an A-/B+ average, you’re going to get eaten alive.

Nobody is going to gamble on you until you prove yourself. It’s gonna take years of a proven track record while balancing ECs.

Medical school is much harder than 12 credits of science courses. If you’re finding it difficult to pull an A-/B+ average, you’re going to get eaten alive.

Nobody is going to gamble on you until you prove yourself. It’s gonna take years of a proven track record while balancing ECs.

You are right and I completely agree with you.

. But if I can show drastic improvement in coursework for a year or two. Do you think this will pay off?

YES!

. . But will a masters of biomedical sciences even consider me given that I am in the 2.8-3.0 range?
Yes. These programs are a dime a dozen.

]

I've decided after years of poor health including me eating 5 Big Macs yesterday to turn it around. Tomorrow I start going to the gym 2 hours a day. Instead of Big Macs I'm going to eat all healthy food. Looking for advice, will this help me get into the Olympics in 2 years? Can someone not judge me and just predict the future for me. Thank you

I've decided after years of poor health including me eating 5 Big Macs yesterday to turn it around. Tomorrow I start going to the gym 2 hours a day. Instead of Big Macs I'm going to eat all healthy food. Looking for advice, will this help me get into the Olympics in 2 years? Can someone not judge me and just predict the future for me. Thank you

this is not something to make fun of honestly. I know it is in good humor but also not. very uncalled for. If you have a problem with my post and it is bothering you, please don't answer or look at it. I've heard that people on this forum can be mean and was hesitant to even write anything.

this is not something to make fun of honestly. I know it is in good humor but also not. very uncalled for. If you have a problem with my post and it is bothering you, please don't answer or look at it. I've heard that people on this forum can be mean and was hesitant to even write anything.

*Also if you are a doctor, and your patients have any sense of optimism and hope in life. I really hope you don't talk to them like that. kind of shows your sense of character.

OP, it you are going to do this, you must go all the way, otherwise get out. You do not know the sacrifice it takes to be an A student yet. You need to train. Are you prepared to make the sacrifice? Are you willing to spend 8-10 hours/day in a library burning under florescence lights trying to comprehend material that you dont understand?

What happens if you fail during these post bacc years? How are you going to put food on the table after going into debt for these classes? Unless you are independently wealthy.

What happens after 4 cycles of not getting in?

what, you gonna keep trying till you are 40+ years old and nothing to show for it?

What happens if you take the MCAT and get a 492? Unless you are going Pod, you aint getting into a medical school of any kind.

What happens if you get 1 interview at a low tier DO school and the professor is in a crappy mood?

What happens if said school, the only school that interviewed you, wait-lists you for 10 long agonizing months, only to say "nah, sorry, try again next year" in June? After spending 3-4 years repairing the transcript and learning the material?

What happens if you decide to do an SMP after bumping the GPA up as high as you can, only to fail a class in the SMP and be shut out forever?

The most powerful tool you have in your life is your mind. Use it.

Edit: Look also at the underdogs forum post. Almost all that have an acceptance have 3.8-4.0 and SMP AND got 500+ on the MCAT. And they usually only have 1 acceptance.

Last edited:
Actually, you probably could. The human body can do some pretty amazing turnarounds, especially if you are young.

OP, with your classes, are you doing the following to make sure that you are fully comprehending the information in your classes:

-Are you meeting with your professor or TAs during office hours?
-Are you talking with/studying with classmates that are doing well in the class?
-Are you taking good notes?
-After taking a quiz or an exam, are you looking over what you got wrong to determine where more studying needs to take place for doing better on the next exam and final exam if it's cumulative?

All of the above is what you need to do to ensure that you are understanding the material in your classes and really helps with getting A's!

Actually, you probably could. The human body can do some pretty amazing turnarounds, especially if you are young.

Not to split hairs, but if you study the athletics of olympians they are so genetically elite, you probably couldn’t even if you train exactly like them.