Low GRE Solid Everything Else

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

natabean

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my stats are as follows

GRE: V 161 Q 150 W 3.5
cGPA: 3.82
pre req GPA: 3.7
PT Hours: Outpatient: Over 400 Inpatient: 50 Rehab Hospital/Pediatric: 8
Leadership: President Club Volleyball, VP Club Volleyball, Research Assistant PSU Athletic Training Lab

So question is, how bad is that 150 Quantitative GRE going to hurt me?

Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

In general, I would say take it again and try to raise it. You just meet the cutoff for most programs, and most schools' average Q score is higher. And I would also say that a 3.5 on Writing is too low. A lot of schools require a 4.0. My belief is that you can't make up for a low score in one section with a higher score in another. Nor can the rest of your application make up for a poor GRE score.

Personally, I believe that prereq GPA and GRE scores are the most important parts of the application. These are usually the two things that programs use to rank applicants. It's harder to quantify things like extracurriculars. And lets face it, everyone participates in clubs, holds leadership positions, and volunteers. Those sorts of things don't really make an applicant special.

That being said. I would talk to the individual programs you are applying to. Some only place weight on the Verbal score and don't even use the Quantitative score in calculations. And there are schools that don't use GRE scores at all. It all depends on the school. Those scores probably won't get you into a Top 10 school, but there are plenty of others that would accept you.

There are plenty of schools that you should be able to get into with that. However, if you can do some math review I'd retake it. Getting a handful of more questions right should be doable and will make a big difference in your acceptance rates.

Members don't see this ad :)
It wont. Let it go, and move on. You'll get in somewhere. Also depends on the schools you're trying to go to.

If you have time to retake it, why not? However, if you are wanting to apply for early admissions I wouldn't worry about it. With your high stats I'm sure you'll get in somewhere. I went to a couple of PT program meetings and it seems like if you have a great GPA then your GRE only needs to be mediocre to get in and vice versa for low GPA.

If you're going to retake it, retake it to raise your writing score. 3.5 looks worse than a 161 quantitative score. As long as you meet the cut off scores, however, you should get accepted somewhere. Your total score was 311 and I don't think that's too bad. If you have the time and money, retake it. It won't hurt you.