Low MCAT 2015, good GPA AMCAS primary submitted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.lenkim

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

So I'll start with my stats:
3.66 cGPA 3.45 sGPA
MCAT 496

URM, very active undergrad record: President of 2 campus organizations, awarded prestigious university award, dean's list, work study (campus employment), 25 non medical volunteer hours, SMDEP, non medical employment at local TV station 210 hours, medically related paid internship at cancer institute 245 hours , shadowed MDs 25 hours, volunteer at dental office in underserved area, NO research (well, not yet at least will be doing research this upcoming year).

Strong LORs, Strong Personal Statement.
Applied for MD programs (low tier ,mid tier and 2 dream programs) in the process of finishing secondaries but my MCAT score is not good. I honestly do not even feel like finishing the app process.....I could retake the MCAT in September but at this point I would only have 3 weeks to re-prepare and I really don't know if that is enough time to get my score up, to where it needs to be. How bad would it be to retake in September? That would mean the schools wouldn't see my scores until mid October. Do you guys even think its worth the shot?How does my app look? No chance?Small Chance? Any thoughts?

P.S. I will apply to some Post-Baccs, I have a few in mind. But I really just do not know what to do now.
@gyngyn @Goro @LizzyM I'd really love to hear what you guys have to say.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which community?
Do not re-take without a convincing reason to believe that you will score at least 506 or so.
A hasty re-take and another low score is much worse than a single low score.
which community? what do you mean?

If you are determined to apply this cycle, try the HBCU's and your state schools.
If you are fluent in Spanish add the 3 Puerto Rican schools that consider mainlanders.
Okay thanks!
Just to follow up.... I applied to Howard, Morehouse, and Meharry. I am not fluent in Spanish so the PR schools are kinda out of the picture.
Thanks again.

Reactions: 1 user
Uhh... WHAT? o_O

Oh... :bored:

On what planet is this a necessary post? Funny how the people that lament affirmative action rarely show similar resentment for the fact that black people are incarcerated at 6x the rate of white people.

Reactions: 2 users
I think you should follow through with your application for 2016.

If you are not accepted, you could try upgrading, but I don't recommend writing the MCAT in September. There is little time, and you could end up worse.