Low MCAT, pretty good GPA, and good extracurriculars

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wolfpack27

Reaction score
Hi, so I just got my MCAT score back and I am kind of devastated after receiving a 501. My GPA is a 3.65 and my sGPA is a 3.66. Is there any chance I have of getting into some MD programs? I am applying both MD and DO but I primarily am hoping for an MD interview.

Major: cell and molecular biology
Minor: chemistry

Leadership:
Pre-medicine society president
Captain of the Varsity wrestling team (4x academic all american)
Community director for the office of admissions at my university (leadership position)

Volunteering:(~ 4000+ hours)
Miracle league
emergency department at University hospitals
Medical brigades in Honduras and Guatemala (2 different years)
Teaching underserved children lessons in STEM fields
Mentoring young underserved wrestlers in Beat The Streets
Other miscellaneous volunteer opportunities

Shadowing: (~100+ hours)
Neurosurgery
Gastroenterology
Orthopedic surgery
anesthesiology
endocrinology
Global medicine

Research: (~900 hours)
working as a research student at the Cleveland clinic (2 summers)
-one summer in inflammation and immunology department
-this summer in ophthalmology ( most likely continuing as part time researcher student when school year begins)
-some undergrad research with a professor

Work: (20+ hours a week)
Tour guide
life guard (saved 3 lives if that matters? idk)

If I could get some feedback about if there is any hope for me then that would be great! I already submitted an application with 20 schools on there, however I put too many mid tier schools and not enough low tier. I would like to see what schools would be a good fit (if any) in both DO and MD. Really do not want to take the MCAT again!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
MD is unlikely with your MCAT of 501. You could try schools such as Commonwealth-Geisinger, Penn State, Drexel, Temple and Jefferson and the new schools Seton Hall and NOVA MD. Apply broadly to DO schools and include PCOM, LECOM (all schools), WVSOM, UP-KYCOM, MU-COM, CUSOM and all 3 VCOMs.

MD is unlikely with your MCAT of 501. You could try schools such as Commonwealth-Geisinger, Penn State, Drexel, Temple and Jefferson and the new schools Seton Hall and NOVA MD. Apply broadly to DO schools and include PCOM, LECOM (all schools), WVSOM, UP-KYCOM, MU-COM, CUSOM and all 3 VCOMs.
Thank you, I appreciate the feedback!

Hi, so I just got my MCAT score back and I am kind of devastated after receiving a 501. My GPA is a 3.65 and my sGPA is a 3.66. Is there any chance I have of getting into some MD programs? I am applying both MD and DO but I primarily am hoping for an MD interview.

Major: cell and molecular biology
Minor: chemistry

Leadership:
Pre-medicine society president
Captain of the Varsity wrestling team (4x academic all american)
Community director for the office of admissions at my university (leadership position)

Volunteering:(~ 4000+ hours)
Miracle league
emergency department at University hospitals
Medical brigades in Honduras and Guatemala (2 different years)
Teaching underserved children lessons in STEM fields
Mentoring young underserved wrestlers in Beat The Streets
Other miscellaneous volunteer opportunities

Shadowing: (~100+ hours)
Neurosurgery
Gastroenterology
Orthopedic surgery
anesthesiology
endocrinology
Global medicine

Research: (~900 hours)
working as a research student at the Cleveland clinic (2 summers)
-one summer in inflammation and immunology department
-this summer in ophthalmology ( most likely continuing as part time researcher student when school year begins)
-some undergrad research with a professor

Work: (20+ hours a week)
Tour guide
life guard (saved 3 lives if that matters? idk)

If I could get some feedback about if there is any hope for me then that would be great! I already submitted an application with 20 schools on there, however I put too many mid tier schools and not enough low tier. I would like to see what schools would be a good fit (if any) in both DO and MD. Really do not want to take the MCAT again!
I recommend:
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Rosy Franklin (maybe)
Loyola (maybe)
Geisinger IF you're from the Scranton area

Any DO school except the NY and CA Touros, CCOM, and AZCOM. I can't recommend LUCOM, Wm Carey, nor Nova for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me.