low mcat x3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shilgy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Here is my story. I never was a good standardized test taker. i guess it is the pressure that gets to my nerves...
I have taken the mcat 3 times:
2 years ago: 23M - 8PS, 8 VR, 7BS
Last year: 25M - 7PS, 10 VR, 8BS
Past August: 25M - 7 PS, 8VR, 10 BS
I would have never taken the mcat a 3rd time, if I didn't think I would do much better...But things didn't work out.
GPA 3.6 Science: 3.4

On the other hand:
1st author in JMRI article
Cholera intervention program accepted by red cross and is being implemented in Kenya
2 summer experiences at Harvard medical school- research and shadowing
Tons of volunteer work with disabled
Work with sudanese (and other african) refugees and lebanese refugees
Currently finishing Masters in Public Health and thesis research in Genetic Epidemiology
Will be going to lecture at Jimma University in Ethiopia in a few months
Possible World Health Organization internship

I have applied to 25 schools (3 canadian schools - 2 of which do not look at mcats, 3 israel schools). So far no interviews :thumbdown:

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

man you've got some incredible ECs

can I hab sumz?

pwetty plz?

Members don't see this ad :)

Yeah, by this time, if you haven't improved your score yet, you may nevery improve it. I guess if you really wanted an allophathic school you could give it another try. But you should be good for D.O.

spend less time with ECs and more time improving your mcat
take the summer/3months off if you have to because that's the only thing holding you back.

Do they take points off for wrong answers for the MCAT to discourage random guessing?
I always felt more pressure in tests like that, than say the ACT where they won't penalize you.

And to the TS, practice practice practice so that you aren't so stressed that you can't perform at the peak of your abilities. I greatly improved my SAT scores by recreating the test environment so often that I was used to it and my nervousness plumetted.

thanks guys. is it too late to apply for D.O.? although, i think i would rather get a PHD in public health epidemiology and if i have enough money and willpower, reapply in 4 years to allo...

I am more interested in health policy, research, and "changing the world" - more on a population scale and less on an individual scale. it is sad to say, but i believe that having M.D. after my name instead of D.O. will give me more of an oppotunity to accomplish these goals. (don't get me wrong, i think very highly about osteopaths).

if i were you, i'd get the MD first

nail your mcat and you might even get an MD/phd

I am more interested in health policy, research, and "changing the world" - more on a population scale and less on an individual scale. it is sad to say, but i believe that having M.D. after my name instead of D.O. will give me more of an oppotunity to accomplish these goals. (don't get me wrong, i think very highly about osteopaths).

You would def. be late, but may have a shot at a DO school. I would recommend applying broadly and you would need to complete your primary application asap.

If by changing the world you mean traveling abroad to many places, then you certainly would be better off with the much more recognized/common MD degree. In addition Osteopathic schools generally have less focus on research and thus opportunities in research may be limited until you get out of medical school. For what you're looking to accomplish I believe PhD route may be the best.

thanks guys. is it too late to apply for D.O.? although, i think i would rather get a PHD in public health epidemiology and if i have enough money and willpower, reapply in 4 years to allo...
That's way more work than simply boosting your MCAT score. It's by far the biggest thorn in your side.

thanks guys!

good luck shilgy, im rootn for you bud

You do know that some schools (MCW, Buffalo, GW) will add only your best scores from each section. ........you have a 28!

I already got rejected from buffalo, and I am waiting for response from GW. i think i am on pre-interview hold since i have been complete forever. TUFTS also adds your best scores, but chances for me are quite small there.
look, between the schools in canada (I have citizenship) and Israel (medical school for international health affiliated with Columbia and I know someone there with a 24) i think that i still have a shot. i met with a professor from mcmaster who helped me with my essays and told me that i am exactly what they are looking for. they don't look at mcats. the problem there is that they only have a 3.5% acceptance rate.

again, thanks for all of your help and support

Out of curiousity, wat were you gettin on your practice exams....From your test scores it shows that you are capable of getting tens on the verbal and bio. I think if you study and put enough time in you could get all 3 10's (if not higher). Are you studying the right way, try takign a course. Doing a phd and then md would be way more timeconsuming and costly. I strongly suggest retakign it one more time, but making significant improvement like 6 to 7 points. You can do it, and you have amazing EC's.