Low overall GPA, high prerequisite GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mia Mia

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I'm a senior at University of California, Irvine. I have an overall GPA of 3.2 as a Bio Major and I have a prerequisite GPA of 3.7. I'm applying to DPT programs in the Fall of 2016. My GPA was lowered a lot because of Organic Chemistry.
I have 200+ outpatient PT experience.
Volunteering at UCI med center currently.
Starting an internship at a Non profit PT clinic in the fall (of my senior year).
Have NOT taken my GRE yet.

Would you guys recommend me retaking organic chemistry to bring up my GPA?
I appreciate any help!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you need to. Ochem isn't a prereq for most schools. Your prereq GPA is solid. If you do well on the GRE, I think you'll be alright. If anything, take some easy classes to bolster your cumulative GPA.

You should be competitive for out of state schools and private schools...will be tough to get into state schools with a low cumulative GPA

Members don't see this ad :)
I've pretty much got the same stats as you. Instead of re taking Orgo I would just try to study for the GRE and get the best score you can. Go to the list of PT schools on PTCAS and do some good research on all the schools your interested in and make sure you meet their requirements with GPA and Pre Reqs and you should be good.

I don't think you need to. Ochem isn't a prereq for most schools. Your prereq GPA is solid. If you do well on the GRE, I think you'll be alright. If anything, take some easy classes to bolster your cumulative GPA.
Thank you!! So any class just to lower the cumulative?

You should be competitive for out of state schools and private schools...will be tough to get into state schools with a low cumulative GPA
Thank you! Do you have any recommendations for out of state schools or private schools? Just for me to get a ballpark idea of what type of school you are thinking of. I really appreciate your help

Honestly, any private school, although the ones in the state of Washington are very difficult to get into. I would also still apply to some in state schools and cheap out of state schools if you can afford it and desire to go there.

I had this same problem, schools told me that this made it seem as if I would not be able to handle the work load. They knew I was strong in sciences but weren't sure I had developed the skills to make it through grad school.

I had this same problem, schools told me that this made it seem as if I would not be able to handle the work load. They knew I was strong in sciences but weren't sure I had developed the skills to make it through grad school.
Did you end up getting in to any program?

No, got waitlisted to 4 schools. I'm doing early decision this time around so hopefully it helps