low part1 score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ctdentist

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am noticing that not may students on SDN are scoring above 90 lately.I am wondering what could possibly be the reason.Is it that not many students are taking the exam during this time so the percentiles are low.Any suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.

in new pattern they changed the score conversion. Now it is very close to the original correct answers. For eg earlier if you get around 75 questions right in anatomy the comp. score use to be near 90 for anatomy & same with other subjects. But now SDN members who posted their scores(you will find in the international forum) it seems like it is very close to the no of correct answers.

This is just my personal opinion coz I don't have any conversion chart.

I definitely think the scoring pattern has made it difficult to score a 90.But with schools having a an admission percentile above 90 it has made it more difficult for foreign graduates like us.Will schools understand that the scoring a 90 is getting more difficult with the new scoring pattern.

I definitely think the scoring pattern has made it difficult to score a 90.But with schools having a an admission percentile above 90 it has made it more difficult for foreign graduates like us.Will schools understand that the scoring a 90 is getting more difficult with the new scoring pattern.

ofcourse they're not stupid.

Members don't see this ad :)

i think this statement is little bit exagrated and false.As fa as i know there are couple colleges looking for a score above 90.(not couple may be only one, i think the college in boston only requires a score above 90 )
most of the schools are looking for a score above 80 or 85 from ndbe part1 and i think its fair enough.

i think this statement is little bit exagrated and false.As fa as i know there are couple colleges looking for a score above 90.(not couple may be only one, i think the college in boston only requires a score above 90 )
most of the schools are looking for a score above 80 or 85 from ndbe part1 and i think its fair enough.

hi
just got my result its 82 where does it stand?cant retake becoz it was my third attempt.any advice guys

i think u should go ahead and take part2 and try to get some sort of work experience as a DA or in research

i think u should go ahead and take part2 and try to get some sort of work experience as a DA or in research

hi thanks for the reply.i have 5yrs of work exp.in my home country and 3 yrs of work exp.as DA in US do i have any chance without part2

I think U should try NYU as this college is Hungry for Vitanim M(money) and not percentile so you should be fine only if are able to get that much loan in advance, I have heard this year among my friend circle having 79 in part-1 , just part-1 they never had part-2 cleared got into NYU program and by the way NYU has the largest capacity class in U.S or in the World if you happens to know ,,,,,,,,,,,,having the size of Nearly 300 per batch 150 foreign trained dentist and 150-200 U.S candidates.
I think this must be encouraging to you all, share it to others................
GoodLuck.:thumbup:

I think U should try NYU as this college is Hungry for Vitanim M(money) and not percentile so you should be fine only if are able to get that much loan in advance, I have heard this year among my friend circle having 79 in part-1 , just part-1 they never had part-2 cleared got into NYU program and by the way NYU has the largest capacity class in U.S or in the World if you happens to know ,,,,,,,,,,,,having the size of Nearly 300 per batch 150 foreign trained dentist and 150-200 U.S candidates.
I think this must be encouraging to you all, share it to others................
GoodLuck.:thumbup:

hi MITPAT
thanks for the reply its really encouraging.and i hope ican manage to get the loan.thanks alot

Dear friends my part 1 score is 90 .I am thinking of applying in various colleges .But have no idea .i don't have US experience.
Also friends I got a mail from ucsf dental school that they will consider only who score above 95 in part 1. friends if this is their selection criteria , i don't know where I stand .Plz give my ur opinion about various collleges n where shd I apply.
Thanking u in anticipation

Dear friends my part 1 score is 90 .I am thinking of applying in various colleges .But have no idea .i don't have US experience.
Also friends I got a mail from ucsf dental school that they will consider only who score above 95 in part 1. friends if this is their selection criteria , i don't know where I stand .Plz give my ur opinion about various collleges n where shd I apply.
Thanking u in anticipation

Hey Sunny, I can't believe this. Above 95 is too much they are asking for!!! Did you ask any other schools too? Like ucla, usc , uop or boston??? I'm sure you have good chances in all of them.

Also friends I got a mail from ucsf dental school that they will consider only who score above 95 in part 1.
Wow! It's unbelievable! Where did you get this email from? I read the last year UCSF thread and don't remember anybody who got admission had 95+.

Congratulations! Great score!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi every1 !
Sunny06 is right, UCSF doesnt(didn't) accept below 95 but however, last year their lowest requirement was National board part 1 was 93, Toefl score CBT- 265 and IBT-100 and GPA wasnt necessary at all (maybe they had some research and a lot of experiences in the US). My cousin had 94, and she got admitted for this year class( but then she is a mom of 2 children with no experience).
I soooooooo much want to get into UCSF, since my whole family is here, lets see what happens :( ... I wonder if they consider US citizens. :rolleyes:

Friends, I think you are wrong that UCSF won't accept people with NBDE scores below 95.

Here are the admission requirements. You must have 95+ in TOEFL iBT and 83+ in NBDE-1.

Friends, I think you are wrong that UCSF won't accept people with NBDE scores below 95.

Here are the admission requirements. You must have 95+ in TOEFL iBT and 83+ in NBDE-1.

yeah, same here: my friend got in last year with just 83 for part1, 79 for part2. 2 years experience....
just wonder where such a rumor came from? make no sense!! just look at the part1 grading system's precentile, how many ppl could get 95+?????
guys, have your common sense.

hahaha, 95+ probably ibt.

Oh btw, if you have work experience/ research, then below 90 is acceptable.
The website says NBDE score of at least 87, but when they choose candidates, it's with either above 90 or below 90 with some years of work experience.
But if all the candidates score below 90 (in the new format sumthin sumthin exam), then they have no choice.

I know it is hard to beleive but it is true I received a mail from UCSF that last year their cut off was 93 and this year director of program has decided to accept only those application which score above 95.

dear friends do u have information about other college which expect more than 90 score in part 1.

i do not beleive that somebody send an email stating that 95+ is a requirement for admission.
it is a big big big lie.
if it is not a lie,just attach he email here,thus we know from whom and what the email is about.

Yes, it is also so illogical. Then why to conduct a practical exam if you only care about the high scores??? What's the point about mentioning the 83+ on the official website? Do they want to waste their time and time and money of the applicants? Or what?

If it was possible, I wud have attached the mail frm the university.. Cant upload the htm file here... tried... but if u r soo much interested in that mail.. i can fwd it to ur mailbox. No prob. (what;s ur mail id?)

Sent : Monday, April 16, 2007 4:03 PM
To : "krithika Singh" <[email protected]>
Subject : RE:

| | | Inbox

Dear Dr. Krithika,

Yes, work experience and/or research would be helpful on your
application. The other information regarding last year cut off for
National board part 1 was 93, Tofel score 265 and internet base 100,
however, GPA is not one of the requirement. Thank you for considering
UCSF to continue your Dental education. We will be looking forward in
receiving your application this coming cycle.

Best regards,
Jean Young

http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/

| | | | | Inbox

Get the latest updates from MSN
MSN Home | My MSN | Hotmail | Search | Shopping | Money | People & Chat

Thanks! :)

Rather weird... Hmmm... Maybe the sender of that email made a typo... Wrote 93 instead of 83... Or maybe not...

Anyway, I wasn't going to apply this dental school, but your information seems too strange for me.

hi..i just wanted to know..... will 6-8 months of work experience in my country(india) give me a good chance of getting admission....or do they give preference for experience in the US?...thanx

hi..i just wanted to know..... will 6-8 months of work experience in my country(india) give me a good chance of getting admission....or do they give preference for experience in the US?...thanx

Experience in US is preferred more. Work experience in your native country is of little help. They want to know how much u r interested in dentistry in the US. Working as a DA or a volunteer or even an observer counts a lot.

hi thanks for the reply.i have 5yrs of work exp.in my home country and 3 yrs of work exp.as DA in US do i have any chance without part2
Hi
I am a dentist from India.
Can u pls tell me the procedure to work as a Dental Assistant?
I am on student visa

Hi,
I am noticing that not may students on SDN are scoring above 90 lately.I am wondering what could possibly be the reason.Is it that not many students are taking the exam during this time so the percentiles are low.Any suggestions.
Hi ,
I am going to take my NBDE 1 in June.
Please tell me the time division of this exam as it seems too long(8:30 hrs)
thanks..

Hi ,
I am going to take my NBDE 1 in June.
Please tell me the time division of this exam as it seems too long(8:30 hrs)
thanks..

It's already the mid of May, I dont think you can complete studying all the study materials. But if you have good base about all the subjects then, i 'd recommend doing old questions and a quick look at the decks. Otherwise, give yourself sometime and be prepared in such a way that u dont have to retake the exam.