low practice MCAT scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nk1996

Reaction score
I'm scheduled to take the MCAT on 9/19. I have been getting ready this summer by going over content in the Kaplan books and making flashcards for each chapter and book, except the CARS book. Last summer without any prep, I scored a 497 on the free Princeton MCAT test. Today I took the Kaplan test 1 and also got 497. I felt kind of bumbed that I got the same score as last year even though, I did go over the material more or less.

My question is what should I do now? My plan is to review the MCAT exam and focus on the areas that I got wrong/guessed throughout the week. I think I can comfortably divide each section of the exam into four different days to not overwhelm myself. Also, since I made the effort to make my own flashcards I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to try to cover 1 chapter from 3 subjects per day and answer the questions at the end of the chapter. I have Princeton, Kaplan, and EK subject books that I can use. And of course, at the end of each study week take a practice exam.

I also heard that Kaplan exams are more difficult than the actual MCAT but again I don't really want to use that as an excuse because when I took the practice Kaplan exam I actually felt pretty confident. I know that I only took two practice exams and didn't do enough studying but I would greatly appreciate any advice in terms of formulating a good exam practice strategy for the remaining days I have left.

Currently I own:

2 Kaplan exams
5 Next Step exams
2 AAMC exams

Since I heard that Kaplan exams are more rigorous, I decided to take it first so that it would encourage me to study more :) Then I was thinking about taking the Next Step Exams, and 2-3 AAMC exams respectively. I heard that NS exams are more similar to the real thing, and AAMC exams are even better. Does this seem like a viable strategy? Any flaws or things that I misunderstood?

Again thank you advance for any helpful advice,

NK

Members don't see this ad.

My question is what should I do now?

Start by putting away all content review. If you read enough some threads, you will find many people who are (or were) in your same shoes. If you keep doing content review, you will not improve. You have to do passages and questions, and then review the answer explanations after the fact in detail. You have to learn from your mistakes. You have passages in some of the materials you own, so use them. If you have the money, I'd suggest you either sign up for UWorld or buy the TBR science books ASAP, because you need plenty of practice and those sources have great answer explanations that will give you content and strategy. You should also invest in the AAMC section banks. Those are passage based and very helpful. After you've done 20 passages a day for three weeks, then try another exam and see how much you improve.

Reactions: 1 users
Start by putting away all content review. If you read enough some threads, you will find many people who are (or were) in your same shoes. If you keep doing content review, you will not improve. You have to do passages and questions, and then review the answer explanations after the fact in detail. You have to learn from your mistakes. You have passages in some of the materials you own, so use them. If you have the money, I'd suggest you either sign up for UWorld or buy the TBR science books ASAP, because you need plenty of practice and those sources have great answer explanations that will give you content and strategy. You should also invest in the AAMC section banks. Those are passage based and very helpful. After you've done 20 passages a day for three weeks, then try another exam and see how much you improve.

Thanks for the helpful information!

Oh to just make sure: the TBR books you mentioned are called TBR Home study materials (10 books total)? Wish I could link but I'm new here...
Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
There’s a UWorld for Pre-meds? Mary and Joseph, I’m getting old

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the info. I'm still having some problems with c/p and heard that the best way to improve here is to do more passages. I see you mentioned TBR passages as a useful resource. I test on 9/19 and was wondering if I should read the entire books for chem and phys and then do the passages at the end, or would I be ok with just using the TBR books to do passages and then read over the explanations?

I'd just do the passages. Their explanations will give you most everything you'd get from reading the chapters.