Low prerequisite gpa, average overall gpa.. what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopefulstudent123

Reaction score
So I just found out my prerequisite gpa is a 2.7. I know it’s low, but my general chemistry and biology classes were rough because I had some personal issues going on at the time. My overall is a 3.2 and I’ve improved every semester since my sophomore year of undergrad. I have observation hours, a lot of extracurricular events, I work two jobs and still maintain good grades. My GRE was low with a 145 in verbal 146 in quantitative and 3.5 in writing. I improved from my first test with a 136 in verbal, 145 in quantitative and same 3.5 in writing.

I’m just trying to figure out if it’s worth it to finish submitting applications and withdraw the ones I have submitted. I’m applying to south college, ETSU, USF, UND (univeristy of North Dakota) and have applied to Marshall and WVU.

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools do have a minimum of 3.0 for science GPA. So it depends on the requirements for the school that you are applying. Some schools will say that they have a preferred 3.0 science GPA.
So I would look back at the requirements for the schools that you’re applying to. You might have to retake some classes to raise your science GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
So I just found out my prerequisite gpa is a 2.7. I know it’s low, but my general chemistry and biology classes were rough because I had some personal issues going on at the time. My overall is a 3.2 and I’ve improved every semester since my sophomore year of undergrad. I have observation hours, a lot of extracurricular events, I work two jobs and still maintain good grades. My GRE was low with a 145 in verbal 146 in quantitative and 3.5 in writing. I improved from my first test with a 136 in verbal, 145 in quantitative and same 3.5 in writing.

I’m just trying to figure out if it’s worth it to finish submitting applications and withdraw the ones I have submitted. I’m applying to south college, ETSU, USF, UND (univeristy of North Dakota) and have applied to Marshall and WVU.
I doubt they will accept you with 2.7 pGPA. They will likely toss your application and not even look at it because the minimal pGPA requirement is 3.0 (unless the schools you listed do not have this requirement.) The same about GRE: if the schools you listed have minimal requirement of 300 score, they will not consider your application. It sounds to me like it's the waste of money to apply this year. Apply when you meet minimal requirements.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most schools do have a minimum of 3.0 for science GPA. So it depends on the requirements for the school that you are applying. Some schools will say that they have a preferred 3.0 science GPA.
So I would look back at the requirements for the schools that you’re applying to. You might have to retake some classes to raise your science GPA.
My problem is that I’m a senior and my undergrad doesn’t allow you to retake any classes unless you fail them. I wasn’t planning on taking a gap year but it’s looking like I have to now. After this I don’t consider myself a strong applicant and based on things I’ve found and what people have said, it’s just a waste of time and money. I guess I’ll take a gap year and try retaking the general classes at a community college or something.

Yes! Retake in a community college.

My problem is that I’m a senior and my undergrad doesn’t allow you to retake any classes unless you fail them. I wasn’t planning on taking a gap year but it’s looking like I have to now. After this I don’t consider myself a strong applicant and based on things I’ve found and what people have said, it’s just a waste of time and money. I guess I’ll take a gap year and try retaking the general classes at a community college or something.
In the state of Florida I was able to retake a passed class as long I had proof that the prerequisites have expired. I just showed them the school I was applying would not accept my prerequisites and they let me retake the class.

I haven't taken the GRE yet, but we have similar GPA stats! I decided to only apply to a few schools that I maybe have a chance at getting into. I also registered to re-take my prerequisite science courses at a community college near my job. If I don't get into the few schools that I applied to, I will be able to quickly inform them that I raised my gpa and will reapply again to those and new schools EARLY the following year AND with a better pre-requisite/science GPA...I'm also thankful to have all my PTCAS gpa calculations so I know exactly the areas that I'm trying to raise. It's not so bad. Just work and enjoy life in the meantime...goodluck to you! :zip: