Low RC will severely impact acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

x0jessmariex3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My DAT scores are
AA/TS/Bio/GC/OC/PAT/RC/QR
20/20/19 /23 / 20 / 25 /17 / 21

My oGPA is 4.0

150 hours ortho + perio shadowing

Member of Pre-Dental Society at my school, GC tutor for 3 semesters, and experience working as a DA for a general dentist.

Is my overall application competitive? I have been reading RC is weighed heavily and Bio as well and those are my lowest scores :/

Members don't see this ad.

You'll be fine.

4.0 will outshine just about anything.

Reactions: 1 users
i hope you are kidding with those stats.....

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You'll be fine.

4.0 will outshine just about anything.

I don't believe that- a GPA of 4.0 but not a good reader?

just playing devil's advocate. I'm sure you'll be okay, but it might raise a few eyebrows because it could call the competitiveness of your undergrad experience into question.

just playing devil's advocate. I'm sure you'll be okay, but it might raise a few eyebrows because it could call the competitiveness of your undergrad experience into question.

Well the fact that I guessed the last 8 questions since I had 45 seconds left in RC may have been the case :/ ...

At least it was a 17. It could have been worse lol.

Usually 17 is the cut off

Well the fact that I guessed the last 8 questions since I had 45 seconds left in RC may have been the case :/ ...

Yeah, it happens. The problem is that they don't know that. When you have interviews you can clarify, though!

Make sure you shadow a general dentist or be prepared for them to grill you on that

Edit nevermind, just saw you were a DA for a general dentist. You're set :)

Last edited:
Oh okay good to know!

Make sure you shadow a general dentist or be prepared for them to grill you on that

Well do you think it is really necessary if I work as a DA at a general dentist, because I'm pretty familiar with all the procedures and instruments.

Members don't see this ad :)
My DAT scores are
AA/TS/Bio/GC/OC/PAT/RC/QR
20/20/19 /23 / 20 / 25 /17 / 21

My oGPA is 4.0

150 hours ortho + perio shadowing

Member of Pre-Dental Society at my school, GC tutor for 3 semesters, and experience working as a DA for a general dentist.

Is my overall application competitive? I have been reading RC is weighed heavily and Bio as well and those are my lowest scores :/
Is English your second language?

Usually 17 is the cut off
"Consideration will be given to applicants with a 3.2 GPA (science and non-science) and a DAT academic average of 19 and above"
Pitt apparently has a cutoff at 19AA.

It could have been worse lol.
8ce21.jpg

I totally agree but she will still get in somewhere.

Is English your second language?

No its not my 2nd language. I just spent way too much time on a few questions that I probably should have skipped in order to get points on questions that I could have answered more quickly.

"Consideration will be given to applicants with a 3.2 GPA (science and non-science) and a DAT academic average of 19 and above"
Pitt apparently has a cutoff at 19AA.

I mean my AA is a 20 tho..?

Last edited:
How is your TS 20? Shouldn't it be 21?

How is your TS 20? Shouldn't it be 21?
At first I thought that as well but it's not the 3 science scores averaged. It's based off the number of questions you get right in the NS. I guess since there is 40 questions in Bio and that was my worst section it brought my TS score down.

You're good..great stats, and experience too- best of luck!

At first I thought that as well but it's not the 3 science scores averaged. It's based off the number of questions you get right in the NS. I guess since there is 40 questions in Bio and that was my worst section it brought my TS score down.
Well that sucks!!
I also have a 20TS, but I had 20BIO, 20GC, 19OC.
That's crazy haha.

Which schools are you applying to? My RC is low too and I check with the majority of schools and they do not have a minimum score and if they do, it's mostly 17 (Tufts, roseman, etc) Buffalo has a minimum of 16. I was told that they look at the application as a whole.. So don't be too worried!

AA is average?

AA is still an average, rounded up to the nearest number. (So 22.4 = 22, 22.5 = 23)

TS is a score based on the number of questions you get correct out of 100 (grounded in percentiles). So I got a 22 TS, for example. That's typically equivalent to missing less than 10 questions on the sciences section. My scores were 30GC, 21OC, 22BIO. So if TS was an average, I'd have a 24. But I don't. haha. It's a weird system.

Edit: whoops... someone already answered above. oh well

Which schools are you applying to? My RC is low too and I check with the majority of schools and they do not have a minimum score and if they do, it's mostly 17 (Tufts, roseman, etc) Buffalo has a minimum of 16. I was told that they look at the application as a whole.. So don't be too worried!

I am applying to the schools in NY, PA, Rutgers, and Marquette. Okay, that definitely makes me feel a lot better!!

RC is not weighed heavily. I think someone did a ranking of the scores for DAT but it's all relative. The adcom will look at your application as a whole. You seem to have great stats. Impress them on the interviews, and you shouldn't have any issues. Good luck!

RC is not weighed heavily. I think someone did a ranking of the scores for DAT but it's all relative. The adcom will look at your application as a whole. You seem to have great stats. Impress them on the interviews, and you shouldn't have any issues. Good luck!

Oh okay, thanks! I remember reading it somewhere that Bio and RC sections are paid special attention to by adcoms. I will just wait and hope for some interviews :)