Low RC will severely impact acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

x0jessmariex3

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My DAT scores are
AA/TS/Bio/GC/OC/PAT/RC/QR
20/20/19 /23 / 20 / 25 /17 / 21

My oGPA is 4.0

150 hours ortho + perio shadowing

Member of Pre-Dental Society at my school, GC tutor for 3 semesters, and experience working as a DA for a general dentist.

Is my overall application competitive? I have been reading RC is weighed heavily and Bio as well and those are my lowest scores :/
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't believe that- a GPA of 4.0 but not a good reader?

just playing devil's advocate. I'm sure you'll be okay, but it might raise a few eyebrows because it could call the competitiveness of your undergrad experience into question.

Well the fact that I guessed the last 8 questions since I had 45 seconds left in RC may have been the case :/ ...
 
My DAT scores are
AA/TS/Bio/GC/OC/PAT/RC/QR
20/20/19 /23 / 20 / 25 /17 / 21

My oGPA is 4.0

150 hours ortho + perio shadowing

Member of Pre-Dental Society at my school, GC tutor for 3 semesters, and experience working as a DA for a general dentist.

Is my overall application competitive? I have been reading RC is weighed heavily and Bio as well and those are my lowest scores :/
Is English your second language?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It could have been worse lol.
8ce21.jpg
 
Is English your second language?

No its not my 2nd language. I just spent way too much time on a few questions that I probably should have skipped in order to get points on questions that I could have answered more quickly.

"Consideration will be given to applicants with a 3.2 GPA (science and non-science) and a DAT academic average of 19 and above"
Pitt apparently has a cutoff at 19AA.

I mean my AA is a 20 tho..?
 
Last edited:
How is your TS 20? Shouldn't it be 21?
At first I thought that as well but it's not the 3 science scores averaged. It's based off the number of questions you get right in the NS. I guess since there is 40 questions in Bio and that was my worst section it brought my TS score down.
 
At first I thought that as well but it's not the 3 science scores averaged. It's based off the number of questions you get right in the NS. I guess since there is 40 questions in Bio and that was my worst section it brought my TS score down.
Well that sucks!!
I also have a 20TS, but I had 20BIO, 20GC, 19OC.
That's crazy haha.
 
Which schools are you applying to? My RC is low too and I check with the majority of schools and they do not have a minimum score and if they do, it's mostly 17 (Tufts, roseman, etc) Buffalo has a minimum of 16. I was told that they look at the application as a whole.. So don't be too worried!
 
AA is average?

AA is still an average, rounded up to the nearest number. (So 22.4 = 22, 22.5 = 23)

TS is a score based on the number of questions you get correct out of 100 (grounded in percentiles). So I got a 22 TS, for example. That's typically equivalent to missing less than 10 questions on the sciences section. My scores were 30GC, 21OC, 22BIO. So if TS was an average, I'd have a 24. But I don't. haha. It's a weird system.

Edit: whoops... someone already answered above. oh well
 
Which schools are you applying to? My RC is low too and I check with the majority of schools and they do not have a minimum score and if they do, it's mostly 17 (Tufts, roseman, etc) Buffalo has a minimum of 16. I was told that they look at the application as a whole.. So don't be too worried!

I am applying to the schools in NY, PA, Rutgers, and Marquette. Okay, that definitely makes me feel a lot better!!
 
RC is not weighed heavily. I think someone did a ranking of the scores for DAT but it's all relative. The adcom will look at your application as a whole. You seem to have great stats. Impress them on the interviews, and you shouldn't have any issues. Good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
RC is not weighed heavily. I think someone did a ranking of the scores for DAT but it's all relative. The adcom will look at your application as a whole. You seem to have great stats. Impress them on the interviews, and you shouldn't have any issues. Good luck!

Oh okay, thanks! I remember reading it somewhere that Bio and RC sections are paid special attention to by adcoms. I will just wait and hope for some interviews 🙂