LOW Science GPA need help with Post Bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

can

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My MCAT score was a 26, however, my science gpa isn't that great. I know there's probably no way i'll be able to get into medical school. So I was just wondering if anyone knows of any Post Bac programs that allow students with low science gpa to get in. The ones I've been looking at all require a gpa of about or above a 2.7. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

can said:
Hi everyone,

My MCAT score was a 26, however, my science gpa is only a little over a 2.5. I know there's probably no way i'll be able to get into medical school. So I was just wondering if anyone knows of any Post Bac programs that allow for someone with a gpa of about 2.5 (in the sciences) to get in. The ones I've been looking at all require a gpa of about or above a 2.7. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

**note...btw, my overall gpa is a 3.0 at a UC

You will need to bring BOTH your GPA (especially) and MCAT score up, especially being at a UC and assuming you wanting to go to a UC. I don't know why people keep thinking they have to do a post-bacc program, but post-bacc is merely any upper division courses taken AFTER graduating with your bachelors degree. So attending any 4-year university and taking upper division classes would suffice.

For the most part, post-bacc progams are non-degree earning programs. There may be special masters programs out there too. Others have decided to apply to another bachelor's program to improve their GPA, while some have gone to grad school.

The ultimate aim is to show the adcoms that you are academically sound. The problem is your 2.5 science GPA is from 4-5 years of undergrad? Therefore you will have to show SIGNIFICANT improvements as a post-bacc student over at least 1 years worth of full-time coursework. I know a few people who did 2 years of post-bacc, but taking only 1-3 classes a quarter (ie: not full-time) so did not get in. I don't envy your position, because you will need to get spectacular grades, and preferably a better MCAT score, but it is certainly not impossible to do.

As for me, I did UC Extension for 1.5 years after undergrad. But it cost me an arm and a leg. Something like $800 for a 3 unit class. Cost way more than just going there for undergrad. I had a UC staff discount, but it was still a lot!

relentless11 said:
You will need to bring BOTH your GPA (especially) and MCAT score up, especially being at a UC and assuming you wanting to go to a UC. I don't know why people keep thinking they have to do a post-bacc program, but post-bacc is merely any upper division courses taken AFTER graduating with your bachelors degree. So attending any 4-year university and taking upper division classes would suffice.

For the most part, post-bacc progams are non-degree earning programs. There may be special masters programs out there too. Others have decided to apply to another bachelor's program to improve their GPA, while some have gone to grad school.

The ultimate aim is to show the adcoms that you are academically sound. The problem is your 2.5 science GPA is from 4-5 years of undergrad? Therefore you will have to show SIGNIFICANT improvements as a post-bacc student over at least 1 years worth of full-time coursework. I know a few people who did 2 years of post-bacc, but taking only 1-3 classes a quarter (ie: not full-time) so did not get in. I don't envy your position, because you will need to get spectacular grades, and preferably a better MCAT score, but it is certainly not impossible to do.

As for me, I did UC Extension for 1.5 years after undergrad. But it cost me an arm and a leg. Something like $800 for a 3 unit class. Cost way more than just going there for undergrad. I had a UC staff discount, but it was still a lot!

Thats quite a lot for the UC extension

How about the state schools in CA?
Anyone have any info on them. I hear SFSU has a sort of informal postbac.

Would it matter that much if you go from a UC to a state school like that for GPA stuff?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think doing only 2 classes per semester will prevent someone from being accepted to med school if they do well in these courses and have a legitimate reason for taking a lighter schedule? (a medical problem, for instance.)? At least in my first semester, I don't want to take on too many courses, and end up doing badly, because I think that would look worse than taking less courses and doing really well. But your comments made me a little nervous, even though I have a legitimate reason for taking less courses - at least in the first semester. If I do well the first semester, I might try adding an elective the 2nd semester.

Beth

relentless11 said:

Beth_W737 said:
Do you think doing only 2 classes per semester will prevent someone from being accepted to med school if they do well in these courses and have a legitimate reason for taking a lighter schedule? (a medical problem, for instance.)? At least in my first semester, I don't want to take on too many courses, and end up doing badly, because I think that would look worse than taking less courses and doing really well. But your comments made me a little nervous, even though I have a legitimate reason for taking less courses - at least in the first semester. If I do well the first semester, I might try adding an elective the 2nd semester.

Beth
I think he/she meant that trying to make up for a low GPA during 4-5 years of school by taking only 1-2 classes a semester/quarter for 1 year is not going to suffice. Taking such few classes will have a very small positive impact on your GPA if you do well in them.

So do you think if you have a good UG GPA - 3.55 from The College of New Jersey - that taking 2 courses per semester in a post-bac (at least for 1st semester) won't hurt your chances of admission into med school if you do well and have a legitimate reason for taking less courses that year? Thanks,

Beth

yellowpersuazio said:
I think he/she meant that trying to make up for a low GPA during 4-5 years of school by taking only 1-2 classes a semester/quarter for 1 year is not going to suffice. Taking such few classes will have a very small positive impact on your GPA if you do well in them.

Beth_W737 said:
So do you think if you have a good UG GPA - 3.55 from The College of New Jersey - that taking 2 courses per semester in a post-bac (at least for 1st semester) won't hurt your chances of admission into med school if you do well and have a legitimate reason for taking less courses that year? Thanks,

Beth
The point of doing a post-bac is either to take prereq classes (for those changing careers) or to raise your GPA (both cumulative and science, but mainly science). Usually, post-bacs will count towards your undergrad GPA, so if you have 4-5 years worth of undergrad credit already, you'll have to determine how much 2 courses will affect your GPA. I would think that taking 2 courses after finishing 4 years of undergard will have very little positive affect...and that's IF you do well in them. Keep in mind that if you're doing a post-bac this fall and planning to apply for 2007, that medical schools will generally not have your grades to factor in anyways (since you apply in the summer before). So, if you haven't graduated yet, do well in the remaining courses you have.

i had a B- science GPA (2.7 also) coming from undergrad (i only took chem and orgo and then stopped). i completed my science pre-req's after college for 1 year in a post-bac program at the university of north carolina at greensboro. i worked extremely hard and had a 3.9 average there for the year. i am now in medical school, so it worked for me. i was from NC so I had in-state tuition, which was nice. if you have any questions about the program you can contact dr. cannon, the director. i know that the university of miami also has a post-bac program of sorts that might be worth inquiring about as several of the students in my class at UM participated in it and are now enrolled in the medical school. best of luck...

I have already graduated, and as I mentioned, graduated cum laude from a top public university in the Northeast, and am doing a post-bac not to raise my GPA but only to get the remaining pre-reqs for med school and help prepare me for the MCAT. I didn't have time to fit in most of the pre-reqs as an undergrad. So the purpose of the post-bac is not to raise my GPA, but to take the remaining pre-reqs, show I can do well in them, and prepare me for the MCAT. I think my overall UG GPA is sufficient (close to 3.6, which is about the average for med school admission).

Beth

yellowpersuazio said:
The point of doing a post-bac is either to take prereq classes (for those changing careers) or to raise your GPA (both cumulative and science, but mainly science). Usually, post-bacs will count towards your undergrad GPA, so if you have 4-5 years worth of undergrad credit already, you'll have to determine how much 2 courses will affect your GPA. I would think that taking 2 courses after finishing 4 years of undergard will have very little positive affect...and that's IF you do well in them. Keep in mind that if you're doing a post-bac this fall and planning to apply for 2007, that medical schools will generally not have your grades to factor in anyways (since you apply in the summer before). So, if you haven't graduated yet, do well in the remaining courses you have.

I also forgot to mention I would be taking more than 2 classes total in the post-bac - I'd be taking at least 3 (full year classes), maybe more, and my purpose is to take the pre-reqs, and prepare for the MCAT, my purpose was not to raise my UG GPA, as it was strong already. What I was asking was, if you have a good UG GPA already, will taking 2 courses per semester (at least for the first semester) hurt my chances of getting into medical school, as someone mentioned that those who took less than full-time, did not get in. If I have a legitimate reason for taking 2 courses per semester (medical reason), and have a good UG GPA and do well in the courses, do I have less of a chance of getting into med school, will taking 2 courses hurt my chances? Or is it only for those who have low UG GPAs, that taking less than full time courses is detrimental? Thanks,

Beth

yellowpersuazio said:

Gotcha! said:
Thats quite a lot for the UC extension

How about the state schools in CA?
Anyone have any info on them. I hear SFSU has a sort of informal postbac.

Would it matter that much if you go from a UC to a state school like that for GPA stuff?

State schools are more than likely cheaper. I have not actually looked at the cost though but based on traditional undergrad tuition between UC and CSU, UC is always more expensive. I should not matter taking classes at a UC vs. CSU in terms of getting your GPA stuff, or anything else for that matter. I chose UC Extension because I knew the classes, the teachers, and live down the street. I did consider going to a CSU, but due to it being a semester system (too slow for me), and the longer commute, I sucked it up and payed the tuition fees for Extension. Ultimately, as long as you take UPPER division courses, and DO WELL in them, the adcoms should not care. One might see some slight bias if you would compare someone taking engineering courses at Berkeley vs. UCSC. Nothing wrong with UCSC, but just more competition to get that A at Cal.

Beth_W737 said:

Beth

That can go either way. Although a medical problem is a legit reason, that may bring up another question about if this medical problem may persist into med school and require you to take less classes. It is OK to take less classes because of such reasons, but on the flip side there are people with similar reasons that continue to push on. Its a case-by-case basis. Of course it would look impressive if you were able to overcome whatever problem that may be, and still do well in school. Know your limits though.

Ultimately, in your case, it may depend on what you did as an undergrad. Did you take a full-time semester that included upper division science classes along with other classes? Showing a good trend may tell the adcoms that you have the ability, and now you are just finishing your pre-reqs. It is my impression that your major is not something in the biosci since the pre-reqs were not included in your degree requirements. Therefore you may have to consider taking upper division courses to give the adcoms confidence that you can handle such classes.

In a previous post, I stated that there is too much emphasis on pre-reqs. Pre-reqs only get you into the application game. Many other students will have upper division science courses (e.g.: biochemistry) to prove that they can handle it. In fact, UC Davis, and probably the other UC's require an upper division bio class as a pre-req. Since your first 2 years of med school will be mainly science classes, showing adcoms that you can handle a good load of upper division classes only serves to benefit you.

Remember though, the adcoms look at the whole application, so GPA is just one aspect. But at the same time, you don't want to bring any doubt to the adcoms about your academic ability to handle a heavy-load of science classes over at least a 2 year period.

i have a 2.8 UG GPA and i would love for some advice as far as finding the right schools and programs for me. my gpa is low, i know, and it's mostly from doing horrible in my science classes. i live in the south... houston,tx and am willing to move far away for whatever program you guys think i have a chance getting into. i have taken most premed prereqs except for orgo2 and physics1/2, but i really need to enhance my science gpa and also need to finish up my prereqs.... what do i do? also, do i need to take the GRE for post-bacc programs? thanks for any advice!

iapplehead (seriously, that name is wonderfully surreal), some schools/programs require the GRE/MCAT/SAT/other Hx of standardized testing success.
Beth_W737 keeps posting this link http://hpap.syr.edu/LISTPB.HTM (Ha! Beat you to it!) which is a description of post-bacc programs. Along with this site (http://services.aamc.org/postbac/) it's a nice starting place.
Also, don't be afraid to email post-bacc program directors with your specific concerns. In my experience they are really helpful, prompt, and thorough. These are people who genuinely want to see you succeed and help you reach your goals. They are a great resource so please use them!