Low Score on Verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tesfawMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

First off, I won't be taking the MCAT for a year or two. But my friend just gave me his KAPLAN verbal tests for free :) and I figured I would give them a try. After taking a couple of tests I scored a 7 (on the first) and 6 (on the second). On top of that, I never could finish within the allotted time. I was really surprised at how bad I did :scared:. My question to you guys: should I be concerned?

Members don't see this ad.

No, you shouldn't be concerned. You've said you have 1-2 years to study. Start reading more! You can definitely bring up your verbal score at least a few points...

Read a lot and try to get familiar with difficult humanities and social sciences writing. I wouldn't recommend wasting any of your study materials at this point.

And try to build up your efficient reading speed. My biggest problem is that to understand what I read I have to read pretty slowly, so some passages can take me like 4 minutes to read, giving me less tahn a minute per question. If you could start reading now so you can read a passage in say 3 minutes and still understand everything you read, that'll help in my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, you shouldn't be concerned. You've said you have 1-2 years to study. Start reading more! You can definitely bring up your verbal score at least a few points...

On EK though it says that reading more will NOT help...is that correct? At this point, I'm just feeling gloomy right now...I don't see how I can increase my verbal score.:(