Low Stat URM - School List Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Combee29

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm in need of help figuring out MD schools to apply to. Here are the basics:

3.29 cGPA and 3.05 sGPA undergrad,

3.16 cGPA and sGPA master's program.

MCAT 503

Clinical experience in HS and doing clinical research with patient contact currently.

Research for about a year and a half, will be doing a new, year-long project.

Volunteer/community service, 1000s of hours, helping underserved/underrepresented/minority groups

FL residency. Already applied to state schools, and looking to add more.

Members don't see this ad.

Which URM community do you represent? If hispanic, are you fluent in Spanish? Do you have any recent clinical experience (research is not clinical experience)?
You should be fine for DO but MD are probably out of the reach. Are you sure you can handle med school? You have low UG GPA and very low masters gpa (extremely low if it is not an SMP) which could be a red flag.

Reactions: 1 user
Which URM community do you represent? If hispanic, are you fluent in Spanish? Do you have any recent clinical experience (research is not clinical experience)?
You should be fine for DO but MD are probably out of the reach. Are you sure you can handle med school? You have low UG GPA and very low masters gpa (extremely low if it is not an SMP) which could be a red flag.

I'm African American. I have recent clinical and shadowing experience. I had a medical illness while in undergrad. Upward trend thus far. Master's is SMP.

Members don't see this ad :)
Clinical research is less than ideal clinical experience. It is generally a big no-no to include anything from high school on a med school app.

Your nonclinical service is really gonna help you though

I'm African American. I have recent clinical and shadowing experience. I had a medical illness while in undergrad. Upward trend thus far. Master's is SMP.
May be you will get some luck but honestly 3.16 for SMP is a disaster, probably it is a time to consider plan B. Even if you get into some med school, are you sure you can handle it? Your SMP says no, you don't want to spend few hundred thousand and end up with nothing, think twice about the idea of becoming a doctor. There are other good careers - PA, DPM. DNP.

Reactions: 1 users
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA Drew
Florida State
NOVA MD
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Central Florida
U Florida